Family ODST SPeed build for Orlando (failure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

merc4now

Well earlier this year January, After trying to set up our family vacation around the time of Halo out post discovery (HOPD) in Orlando Florida and failing to make it work, I gave up. Only to find out what we had planed fell through. So new plans allowed me to fit in one or two days at HOPD! great right? My first one ever! and my sons. Problem is I put their costumes on the shelf thinking I had until next year for local Con. So thus the speed build of what I assume would be a some what simple? speed build for at least my sons maybe have time for something for me. ODST and or Marines. So starting a thread as I know that helps to make me a feel a sense of accountability. Can't wait! looking through ODST and marine files for foam now, and gonna put them through armor smith to size of for my sons.

Rock on, man! You got this. Set goals and work hard and you've got this. Update us when you can!
If he really is going to pull this off in 2-3 weeks, I dont think there is time for an update XD this is definatly doable, but you really have your work cut out for you! Keep your head down, and everytime your mind tells you to take a short break, shut it up and get back in the fight! I know this is going to be amazing! (Just dont skip lunch and the important things!)

Thanks for the support guys!

And yeah I'm not really trying to do HD, just a basic as I can and maybe add detail if I have time.
sizing up my kids now in armorsmith.

Kids are kinda upset we won't be using the 3d printed helmets I made a back in april when I was trying to build spartan armor. This was mainly for next year's local con. Figured I'd post them here just to show what we've 3d printed. Alot of little parts that go together well but man it almost makes me want to sell me printer and put more money into a larger scale printer to just do one long print for a full helmet at once.
20190411_201306.jpg
20190417_144748.jpg

A key thing I found while I was doing mine (foam) in order to crunch was to do things in an order that was efficient. E.g. paint one part first so while that's drying you can build another part, and by the time that part's built it's probably time to apply the next coat of paint.

I believe in you! I built my suit while taking 23 credits and working, so it's definitely possible!

I highly recommend taking breaks, I've burned myself more then once and I'm finally getting back into foam smithing, I started a ODST myself but it died in the template phase.

A key thing I found while I was doing mine (foam) in order to crunch was to do things in an order that was efficient. E.g. paint one part first so while that's drying you can build another part, and by the time that part's built it's probably time to apply the next coat of paint.

I believe in you! I built my suit while taking 23 credits and working, so it's definitely possible!
I like this ideal, only thing is, a decent portion may be built while at work, having a tech job as long as everything's running I have downtime. So I can cut and build at work all night long but painting would probably get me in trouble.

Forgot to mention one of them will be a marine, I'll be shooting for the ODST. if the building goes fast enough I may just continue working on my youngest Spartans suit.

Does anyone have the dft files? Man he builds that helmet super fast, I know they are not super detailed but looks like it goes together really easily.

Sorry nevermind I kept clicking his extra content link and wondering why it didn't have the helmet of armor. I finally found one of his videos with the full pdf.

still trying to decide as I was hoping to volunteer to cost ticket cost which adds up really quick with my 4 of 5 sons who will be on vacation with us. so far the 10yo,15yo and atleast one of the days my 5 yo. Not sure if the 18 yo wants to need out with me or not as of now.

still trying to decide as I was hoping to volunteer to cost ticket cost which adds up really quick with my 4 of 5 sons who will be on vacation with us. so far the 10yo,15yo and atleast one of the days my 5 yo. Not sure if the 18 yo wants to nerd out with me or not as of now.
Whether he does or not, it sounds like you're a cool dad.

Ok well it's a little roomy but pads and a simple fan will easily fit. Not crazy about it, but again speed build this was from 8 -11 mainly took so long because I though barges glue would be better next two may just be hot glue. .
Obviously details are missing as of now. And I have to heat up and bend that crookedness out of the front. But atleast one part is semi done. So 3 hrs?
20190620_105508.jpg

Attachments

• 20190620_105451.jpg
    20190620_105451.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 250
  • 20190620_105516.jpg
    20190620_105516.jpg
    901.6 KB · Views: 258
Ok well it's a little roomy but pads and a simple fan will easily fit. Not crazy about it, but again speed build this was from 8 -11 mainly took so long because I though barges glue would be better next two may just be hot glue. .
Obviously details are missing as of now. And I have to heat up and bend that crookedness out of the front. But atleast one part is semi done. So 3 hrs?View attachment 272037
I think it's gonna turn out nice. I like how you kept in the curvature details

You dont have to sugar coat it, but thanks. Its gonna be rough since making 2-3 sets may try cell shading I've seen on other stuff to give it a borderlands look to help hide the roughness and be a little different. Should go to sleep (I work midnights got off at 6am) but may knock out the chest or forearm, or atleast trace them onto foam.

I prefer barge over hot glue personally, cleaner(usually) and holds strong. Easy to get nice seams, and if you are careful with how you do it, easy to fix a misalignment. I'm sweating trying to get one suit done by then, I couldn't imagine 2 to 3. I'm rooting for you man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back