Felix McScouty, RvB (n00b build!) +friend

Status
Not open for further replies.

pretty00d

So I'm pretty new around here, and just started my build of Felix from Red vs Blue. The plan is pep/fiberglass helmet, which I already have constructed but I'm waiting on this fickle Oregon weather to resin, and then 1-inch EVA foam armor. I made EVA foam Mettaton armor for Wizard World Portland so my experience is pretty slight, especially since that was one contiguous chest/back piece.
there he is (2).jpg
this was literally right after I finished this, superglue still drying on the helmet and my fingers. luckily I didn't have to scale it, as there's a pretty good amount of head room when it's actually on me.
work work fashion baby (2).jpg
always get a good photographer when you can't see the screen of your phone, kids. otherwise you cut off the bottom of your head on accident.
chief ******* (2).jpg
I did have to make some adjustments to the neck opening, and even then it caught on my cartilage barbell and ripped a bit on the bottom. but basically I just had to trim up the opening so it was less oblong and a bit more circular that way my dome would comfortably fit through it. I'll still probably end up adding a liner on the very edge of the final fiberglassed stage before painting. I once made the mistake of not lining the neck opening of a Monitor Head and scratched my neck up all night. it was a learning experience.
I'm also starting construction on a H4 Recon helmet with the same method for a friend; that's just not nearly far enough along to post any pictures of that here.
my plan is to have a few smaller pieces done before the end of April to wear to a small local comic con in junction with (I'm thinking) a maid or schoolgirl outfit, to see how I could do in a costume contest with that. but the Big Goal is to wear this bad boy to RTX in July so I can personally fight Miles and Kerry.
later today I'm gonna hit up some thrift stores to see if I can find some combat boots to sacrifice to the build because there is no way I'm giving up my Docs and I don't have any other shoes that would even work. unless any of you have tips on turning high heels into boots. (also this may not be updated as often as I want to, because I'm also putting together Neon Katt from RWBY and Mad King Ryan cosplays for RTX.)

So I'm pretty new around here, and just started my build of Felix from Red vs Blue. The plan is pep/fiberglass helmet, which I already have constructed but I'm waiting on this fickle Oregon weather to resin, and then 1-inch EVA foam armor. I made EVA foam Mettaton armor for Wizard World Portland so my experience is pretty slight, especially since that was one contiguous chest/back piece.
View attachment 24631
this was literally right after I finished this, superglue still drying on the helmet and my fingers. luckily I didn't have to scale it, as there's a pretty good amount of head room when it's actually on me.
View attachment 24632
always get a good photographer when you can't see the screen of your phone, kids. otherwise you cut off the bottom of your head on accident.
View attachment 24634
I did have to make some adjustments to the neck opening, and even then it caught on my cartilage barbell and ripped a bit on the bottom. but basically I just had to trim up the opening so it was less oblong and a bit more circular that way my dome would comfortably fit through it. I'll still probably end up adding a liner on the very edge of the final fiberglassed stage before painting. I once made the mistake of not lining the neck opening of a Monitor Head and scratched my neck up all night. it was a learning experience.
I'm also starting construction on a H4 Recon helmet with the same method for a friend; that's just not nearly far enough along to post any pictures of that here.
my plan is to have a few smaller pieces done before the end of April to wear to a small local comic con in junction with (I'm thinking) a maid or schoolgirl outfit, to see how I could do in a costume contest with that. but the Big Goal is to wear this bad boy to RTX in July so I can personally fight Miles and Kerry.
later today I'm gonna hit up some thrift stores to see if I can find some combat boots to sacrifice to the build because there is no way I'm giving up my Docs and I don't have any other shoes that would even work. unless any of you have tips on turning high heels into boots. (also this may not be updated as often as I want to, because I'm also putting together Neon Katt from RWBY and Mad King Ryan cosplays for RTX.)
Nice to see more RvB builds! Can't wait to see how it turns out!.

Noob build means nothing my friend. Considering that it looks stellar! Keep up the good work and it'll be done in no time before RTX.

nice pep on the helmet I am actually currently building the same set of armor myself so exited to see another one.

Update!! the weather cleared up and it's been a wonderful 60 degrees for the past two days so I put down the base coat of resin on the helmet.
20160315_155337.jpg
(sorry about the ratio, my camera has been saving everything in landscape and my computer doesnt want to open it to fix it.)
Basically all I did was take one of my wigs off its head, and shove it onto my old as balls tripod. one of my ruder neighbors stood at the edge of my yard and stared at me for about twenty minutes.
I ran into a problem where the resin soaked through the paper at the top of the helmet and it started to stick to the wig head, so when I do this again with my friend's Recon helmet I'll put the fiberglass cloth to the inside of the helmet first. also shoutout to my WIP monitor-head in the background and our boat. our porch is a crazy mess right now, we're getting to go on a five day camping trip to the Lava Beds National Monument. so time's been tight for this.
20160315_155530.jpg
this scared almost everyone who walked by it and it looked very creepy at night, through the window of my front door.
20160315_175343.jpg20160315_175257.jpg
so theres the base of resin. it took a little longer than I would have liked to completely harden but that's what happens with you have to work in slightly chilly conditions.
as of right now, I've dusted it with baby powder so it's not tacky when I have to pick it up. I also cut the visor portion out, so I can now actually see how it fits on my head. I had to widen the neck a bit to even get it on the wig head, and it now comfortably goes on my own head. It didn't catch on my cartilage piercing this time.
as for the other bits of armor, after a failed mess of EVA foam, I've decided I'm going to make the chestpiece out of pep too, because I have the time and I know my abilities with that are locked down tight. I've been making pepakura stuff for yeeeaarsss whereas I've made a single, simple thing out of EVA foam. I also think the type I have is WAY too thick to actually use like I need to. Pretty soon I'm going to grab a yoga-mat like sheet of foam from the sporting goods store in town so I can do at least the arm pieces and boots. I did find black hiking boots that are a perfect base and actually fit me, so score. pretty soon I'm going to order my visor, compression outfit and gloves; I'm just waiting on tax returns to do it with.
as for my friend's Recon helmet, I basically have the entire "face" of the helmet complete. I'll post pictures of that when it's completely done.

tl;dr: Scout helmet is about half done, Recon helmet 1/3 constructed. failed at the EVA chestpiece. creeped out my neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back