Few Questions For My First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyBox

Heya! I am getting ready for my first build using fiberglass, my plan is to make Spartan Armor Based off of the Halo 4 Hayabusa Armor Concept.
View media item 2751
I personally really love the Armor set. But me being a newbie I have near no idea what to do for specific bits.
Let me go over my plan, I plan to go the Fiberglass route over EVA Foam, (I dont Have the Steadiest Hand So tearing always happens to me) I am also looking for a realistic looking, and feeling armor. However, I have a few questions about the build.

I will also likely rip the bracers off of a different character, just cause the Halo 4 Hayabusa Concept does not have any.

First off, How would I do a good visor for the helm.
Also, if I wanted to create a scar that actually went into the armor not just a paint scratch but something that has depth what would I do?
Lastly, Any tips for the project, Painting, Applying the resin/fiberglass, Creating the pep.

Again I am new to the creation of armor so any help would be useful.

After doing some thought I changed the armor from the Hayabusa Concept to the Halo 5 Noble Armor, that being my fav Helmet from Halo 5, or atleast one of em!
h5-guardians-render-noble-blue-680e2d469dd248a5a57ed09afd81ba59.png

I do plan to use the Commando Shoulder pieces as I prefer them more
chuck-byas-byas-chuck-commando-s000-lightingstudy-01.jpg

The two actually make a nice combo together, I have it on my Halo Character and it looks great.
I still plan to do everything else using the Noble Armor tho.

So to start with the visor there are many ways but the way I plan to make the visor that fits Once the helmet is peped and resined I'm going to cut out the Visor section and lay that over a Motor cycle visor and cut out the same shape with about a half inch extension for margin of error and slowly grind away until it fits into place.

As for the scar if you are making it out of fiberglass because the process is inherently thin unless you add something thick like EVA foam floor mats underneath the chest and even that because of the detail is not the best solution. if you are good with clay and building up to make it look like it melted with out taking away from the pep piece.

As for random tips Be Final on what you want to build. Peping pieces especially High detailed pieces takes ALOT of time (2 months solid just finally in the bondo stage) so you dont want to have to redo a piece. Also if you havent done pepakura start with something small like the hand places or feet and work you way up to the helm and chest. It gives you practice and the helmet and chest are your center pieces and you want as much practice as you can get with the process before you get to them. along with that scaling can be a problem if you use different pieces from different files from different people because a scale you use for a forearm for one piece wont be the same scale for the bicep from another builder, the measure distance tool is your friend along with pepakura 4 Now showing how wide and tall a piece is. Lastly Take your time, If you want this to be something that lasts do every step and be super clean with your cuts and align your numbers on the folds, try and be as smooth as you can when applying the resin and bondo on the outside it helps alot with sanding. I skipped the bondo on the build thats in my profile picture and that suit is unwearable due to rushing, it not scaled correctly, No bondo so it dryed out and chipped very easily. Lastly if you want to build a whole suit start from the feet and work your way up, alot of people start with the helmet get it finished and never do the rest I always do my helmet last because its a motivator to keep going.

Hope this helps and good luck.

So to start with the visor there are many ways but the way I plan to make the visor that fits Once the helmet is peped and resined I'm going to cut out the Visor section and lay that over a Motor cycle visor and cut out the same shape with about a half inch extension for margin of error and slowly grind away until it fits into place.

As for the scar if you are making it out of fiberglass because the process is inherently thin unless you add something thick like EVA foam floor mats underneath the chest and even that because of the detail is not the best solution. if you are good with clay and building up to make it look like it melted with out taking away from the pep piece.

As for random tips Be Final on what you want to build. Peping pieces especially High detailed pieces takes ALOT of time (2 months solid just finally in the bondo stage) so you dont want to have to redo a piece. Also if you havent done pepakura start with something small like the hand places or feet and work you way up to the helm and chest. It gives you practice and the helmet and chest are your center pieces and you want as much practice as you can get with the process before you get to them. along with that scaling can be a problem if you use different pieces from different files from different people because a scale you use for a forearm for one piece wont be the same scale for the bicep from another builder, the measure distance tool is your friend along with pepakura 4 Now showing how wide and tall a piece is. Lastly Take your time, If you want this to be something that lasts do every step and be super clean with your cuts and align your numbers on the folds, try and be as smooth as you can when applying the resin and bondo on the outside it helps alot with sanding. I skipped the bondo on the build thats in my profile picture and that suit is unwearable due to rushing, it not scaled correctly, No bondo so it dryed out and chipped very easily. Lastly if you want to build a whole suit start from the feet and work your way up, alot of people start with the helmet get it finished and never do the rest I always do my helmet last because its a motivator to keep going.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks for the tips! And I already knew not to start with the helmet, while it is what i am most excited for I wanted to start small as you said, so I went with the forearm for the Noble arm piece. I also switched the armor around cause the Pep templates that I was using were quite complex, so I thought what is my actual favorite armor from halo 5, I wanted to do halo 5 cause of how simple some of the armors look, I went with Noble because it is both my favorite, and probably one of the most simple in terms of geometry. while 16 pages for the forearm still feels like alot, I am sure other armors have about 30 for it. For the weathering I may just do some paint weathering, from what I have seen on a very old video tut it looks pretty nice (you apply a layer of silver, then the main color, then you sand it scratching the surface paint). with edges I have also know that I can use a brush for scratches. While I am starting with cutting, I am only really doing a trial run to practice, I dont plan to resin it unless it turns out well. So right now I am just practiceing. Next week I plan to actually start and work extra hard on it, Ill remake the forearm. Thanks for the tips though! Ill likely start a thread of me going through making each peice pretty soon. you know one of those ones where people update whenever they make something and ask for suggestions and tips.... cause its my first build, i really need them.

Well I will keep an eye here and give any information if I can. I am only on my Second suit but I learned alot this time around. I posted alot of updates on my current build take a look it might be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back