fiberglass cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

BomBom

New Member
ok, so, im done assembling my MC pep helmet, and now i need to fiberglass the inside. So i put the cloth in, then glue it in, or just glue it to put it in place, then when im done fiberglassing the inside, do i leave the cloth in there, or take it out?
 

Macattack64

Well-Known Member
RedMation said:
ok, so, im done assembling my MC pep helmet, and now i need to fiberglass the inside. So i put the cloth in, then glue it in, or just glue it to put it in place, then when im done fiberglassing the inside, do i leave the cloth in there, or take it out?
Leave it in... Gluing it in might make it easier to resin... I had a hell of a time when I first started fiberglassing my helmet... But you start to understand it after the first one... Don't try to paint it on like normal paint... you want to like smash it into the cloth... I guess that's how I would explain it... :\
 
Last edited by a moderator:

BomBom

New Member
Macattack64 said:
Leave it in... Gluing it in might make it easier to resin... I had a hell of a time when I first started fiberglassing my helmet... But you start to understand it after the first one... Don't try to paint it on like normal paint... you want to like smash it into the cloth... I guess that's how I would explain it... :\

ooh thanks man. thats ganna take a while, what clue do you thinkwould work best with it? i have some krazy glue, and some tender mender. ( that thing works great with the cardstock)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Macattack64

Well-Known Member
RedMation said:
ooh thanks man. thats ganna take a while, what clue do you thinkwould work best with it? i have some krazy glue, and some tender mender. ( that thing works great with the cardstock)

I'm not sure because I don't glue mine in... I dab the ends of each piece with some resin and let it soak into the corners and then fill in the insides... All in one sitting... :)

But gluing it may keep air bubbles out and make it conform to the shape...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

BomBom

New Member
Macattack64 said:
I'm not sure because I don't glue mine in... I dab the ends of each piece with some resin and let it soak into the corners and then fill in the insides... All in one sitting... :)

But gluing it may keep air bubbles out and make it conform to the shape...
oh sweet thanks again man :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When i did mine i used fiberglass mesh TAPE. Its basically like duct tape only its mesh. So i just had to tape it in and it stayed really good while i put the resin coat on it.
 

Eihort

New Member
Go to Home Depot or something and ask for Fiberglass tape. Comes on a roll and is slightly similar to Duct Tape, however, this is indeed fiberglass. Harder to cut but more sturdy and is perfect for armor making applications.
 

cys920622

Member
i went and bought cloth AND mesh, so i can layer them.

aren't you supposed to resin the outside before glassing the inside?
 

Vexona

Well-Known Member
Since a few people still seem confused, and I happened to fiberglass yesterday, I'll share the pics and details of the particular process I used.
This example covers a simple, flat piece: the front panel of space undies (girl version lol).

<blockquote>_____________________________________________________________

Step 1, preparing the exterior
<ul>[*]Mix a batch of resin and hardener (I mixed 2oz. for mine). and 'paint' a layer of it on the exterior of your piece.[*]Allow it to cure (usually around 2 hours, but read your packaging for specific rates).[/list]
It will look something like this after 1 coat:
</blockquote><ul>[*]Mix another batch and apply a second layer of resin to the exterior. [*]Allow the 2nd layer to cure.[*]If after the recommended time your piece still has a little tack to it, you can put some baby powder on it.[*]It'll still be rather flimsy but will be stiff enough to hold it's shape under the weight of cloth.[/list]Step 2, strengthening the interior

<ul>[*]Fiberglass cloth will commonly come in rolls or 8sqft. So, begin to cut your fiberglass into strips. The idea is to overlap the cloth and contour to the folds of each piece.[*]Using spray adhesive, gently adhere your strips of cloth to the piece. Use just enough spray adhesive to hold it in place while you work with the resin. The spray is not meant to make your armor strong or keep the cloth on there permanently.[*]Mix a batch of resin and hardener.[*]Begin to paint the mix onto the cloth. You want the resin to go all the way through, so you will need to apply pressure with a brush or your gloved hands to get the resin to soak through the cloth and onto the piece. [*]Smooth out air bubbles with a roller or your gloved hands (i think fingers work well since most surfaces are pretty curvy).[*]Allow to cure.[/list]<blockquote>Here is the inside of a piece after the fiberglass has cured:


Here is the outside of the piece:


(I held this up for the picture but it's a good idea to wear gloves when handling, because the stray strands are pretty spiky)

At this point, you could add more layers of fiberglass or continue by sanding, filling, priming, painting, etc. :)

After a coat of primer:

_____________________________________________________________
</blockquote>
About variations I've seen:<ul>[*]You don't have to use Spray Adhesive to hold your cloth in place while you work. You could easily use mesh tape, dots of resin or something else.[*]Most people elect not to use fiberglass on the exterior (cosmetic side) because they feel that it loses the details. You may personally like that look.[*]If you need extra strength you can use fiberglass mat. To it's credit, it is very strong. However, it's a coarser texture and so you might have trouble getting it to curve into minute details.[*]People may use more or less layers of exterior resin and interior fiberglassing. Layer to fit your strength/durability needs.[/list]This is just one way of fiberglassing armor. There are several tutorials and methods that I've read here on this site and others. But hopefully the pictures and such helps some of you all who were still confused about how this works.

:devil:
-Vex

___________________________

*Disclaimer*
Be sure to wear protective eye wear, a respirator (NOT a dust mask), chemical gloves, and coveralls.
Always work in a temperate, well ventilated area away from others.
Read all directions and warnings that come with the products you purchase.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sikarian

Jr Member
Vexona said:
Since a few people still seem confused, and I happened to fiberglass yesterday, I'll share the pics and details of the particular process I used.
This example covers a simple, flat piece: the front panel of space undies (girl version lol).

...

I love you.


Marry me.

:love:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Eihort

New Member
Vex, when you finish your armor, if you don't lug around a gigantic sniper rifle, I will be sorely disappointed.
 

Vexona

Well-Known Member
My sniper rifle is ready and waiting on the mantle :) Scope and all!

I'll make a good, complete picture post when I finish painting my armor. ^__^

:devil:
-Vex
 

Sikarian

Jr Member
Eihort said:
Someone beat you. The evidence is in the pictures. :)


Yeah I noticed that, I was hoping that the awesome heart might do for sufficient wooing.

Heh, imagine a proposal in full Mjolnir.


Oh god.


The geekiness...

my head 'asplode.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top