Fiberglass help - Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ben600

Hi all. Pretty much a noob here but have been making good progress over the last few weeks on my first helm with pep and 2 coats of epoxy resin on the outside.
I'm now at the fiberglass stage and have glassed the inside. All is looking great and holding a good shape and is pretty tidy.

My question is how many layers of fiberglass do most people do to make the helmet form really solid? I've done one layer of fiberglass cloth and resin on the inside (2 coats of resin on the outside) but the shape is still a bit wobbly. Should I just keep layering it until it is firm enough or is that not necessary? Will the bondo sort all that out?

Also, I'm in the UK. What are you other Brits using for bondo? Something like a Isopon P38 seems easy to get hold of. Is that the right stuff?

Thanks!

When I did my scratchbuilt Mando helmet (basicly the same process as a Pep build), I did 2 layers of fiberglass cloth/resin on the inside & just bondo on the outside...it turned out rock solid

Thanks NT. Now I've bondo'ed the dome it's pretty solid. I think I'm going to keep it like that on the top and probably give the lower third another pass with the fibreglass just to reinforce the opening at the neck.

Slow progress on this one but I'm in no rush. Now that it's dark so early I can only really bondo it at the weekends. Hopefully will post some photos soon.

I did two layers on my helmet with fibre glass, then bondo on the outside. But do it until you're happy with it. I use isopon P38 as well which is easy enough to use.

for a really really good one, do about 4, I tried 3 and I broke at least 5 parts, and I fiberglass it, and It was hard as rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back