Fiberglass Resin Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

micahmills

Jr Member
k so for the past couple of weeks Ive been trying to find a cheap alternative for fiberglass and resin(and easy to use). then i thought to myself, what about polyvinyl alcohol (PVA). pva is just your ordinary elmers white glue 8), when you use it to glue something it hardens after about a day. they say it does not do well in high humidified places (Florida). any way do you think PVA is a good alternative for strengthening? and the other thing i was thinking of was, well me and my dad went to do a roof job awhile back, we used this type of clothe to roll over cracks. we then painted over it in kool kote, i ask my dad the other day what that does and he said it strengthens it, i tried searching online for a name or just for information, because he hasn't told me the name of it or what it does but, the stuff i used looks like the stuff in the video. i still haven't] really got a straight forward answer but if i find out about anymore information ill update this topic, but for now just tell me what u think or if you know what the cloth does.

PVA Glue

1893262.jpg

roof cloth, yes that is me and that is the exact fabric i used for the roof

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQ10WxXhC4[/media]

You posted a duplicate thread in a different section But yeah, seems like an interesting idea, but I'm not sure how it would hold up over time.

I would imagine the cloth is functioning the same way as it does in fiber glass. The cloth is what gives it the strength, but because its naturally flexible it needs to have something keeping it in shape and not flex (resin, or in this case glue). Main problem I can see with using white glue is that isn't really all that strong. If you get a piece of dried glue about an inch long it doesn't take all that much pressure before it snaps. It might be worth doing a small test (take about a one" strip of cloth) with the glue. I went with fiberglass myself, but I know there are quite a few people here that used the hot glue method. It is possible that this cloth would work well in addition to that.

dont wipe your butt with that lol nice idea i'll maybe have to try that!

oh and go megan fox!! :eek

UNICORN wiht RABIES said:
dont wipe your butt with that lol nice idea i'll maybe have to try that!

oh and go megan fox!! :eek

haha thanks, and if ur talkin bout the brown spot thats just dirt lol not poo

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to highjack your thread, but since we are talking about alternatives, I thought I could make some input. My neighbor, who is a doctor, suggested using fiberglass cast ( cast as in broken arm) to an alternative to fiberglass AND resin. I haven't been able to find much about it, and I couldn't find anyone who used it for our purposes, but it might be interesting. So if anyone has any ideas/experience with this please share.

IronCostumer said:
Not to highjack your thread, but since we are talking about alternatives, I thought I could make some input. My neighbor, who is a doctor, suggested using fiberglass cast ( cast as in broken arm) to an alternative to fiberglass AND resin. I haven't been able to find much about it, and I couldn't find anyone who used it for our purposes, but it might be interesting. So if anyone has any ideas/experience with this please share.

ohh ya never thought bout somethin like that ill look it up

it looks to b around 20 to 30 bucks for the tape but i know for a fact u dont just roll it on, so how do u harden it?

SPARTAN-Mills117 said:
it looks to b around 20 to 30 bucks for the tape but i know for a fact u dont just roll it on, so how do u harden it?

I do believe you use water

IronCostumer said:

Maybe ask your neighbor, the doctor, how many layers he uses? It's been in another thread about this...somewhere.

I have used PVC glue for armor before.

I made a princess zelda costume and for her shoulder armor i used craft foam and covered it in PVC glue. It stabilized the foam and gave it a unique texture(which is why i used it). However, the PVC glue caused medium-major warping and i had to reinforce the inside of my foam armor. On the second try i was able to use the warping effect to my advantage in shaping. I live in Alabama and we have our fair share of humidity (more than Florida i would think since we don't have wind) and I couldn't see any ill effects. I don't have any really good photos to show you.

you may try this link http://amethyst-angel.com/armormaking.html as it is what i used for that costume.

I think what the doctor was referring to was casting plaster. You can get craft grade plaster at most art supply and hobby shops too for just around the house crafts. It may not be as strong as medical grade plaster but it would definitly do you major justice. Also, the medical grade is hard to find and if you do find it, the stuff costs an arm and a leg. Hobby plaster would run you around $6/lb depending on where you live. You may not need more than $12 worth for say a helmet.

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back