Fiberglass Threads got stuck on outside of helmet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macattack64

I got a buncha threads stuck on the outside of my helmet when I was doing it... Fiberglassing... How the hell do you get them off??? Ive been sanding the **** out of it... And also with like resin drops that have hardened?

Cha*man said:
Might be easier to cut them out with a sharp utility knife, or use a power sander or dremel.
Yea I was thinking utility knife... But now that paint has gone on they will still show wont they?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you prime first, or use primerless paint? Then likely not; otherwise, might might not.
Did you at least get the areas smoothed out, maybe put a thin coat of resin over it?

Just wait for the paint to fully cure, maybe a day. then take a look at it.
Remember, you know where the threads were so you will have an easier time spotting any problems.

How does it look?

Cha*man said:
Did you prime first, or use primerless paint? Then likely not; otherwise, might might not.
Did you at least get the areas smoothed out, maybe put a thin coat of resin over it?

Just wait for the paint to fully cure, maybe a day. then take a look at it.
Remember, you know where the threads were so you will have an easier time spotting any problems.

How does it look?

It looks pritty good... Almost looks like it's battle damage or battle scratched... :p... But yea... I've been spraying with primer and then sanding... It's quick drying primer... Auto Primer... It dries in like 1 - 2 minutes depending on how much is on it...

Here's a link to the pictures of what it looks like right now...
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?automodu...um&album=18

Last edited by a moderator:
So you meant primer not paint, OK, makes it easier to fix; if you want to.
Don't sand through your final prime coat, just rough it if you need to.

might want to add some detail under the visor first
SpartanHelmet6.jpg

use some thin plastic (available at hobby and model train shops); cut them to the right size & shape, epoxy them in place, fill in a beveled bead, hit with a little primer & finish how you want.

course you don't have to.

BTW, found the ref pics here:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3158

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back