fiberglassing/sanding question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RazzleDazzle

i read or saw something that confused me about fiberglassing and the first sanding. im making my first helmet and im on the fiberglassing part. after it all drys, do u sand past the paper to the inside so there is absolutely no paper left on it?

No, you wouldn't want to do that. The resin/fiberglass is only for supporting the paper. You want to add some bondo on top of the paper, and then sand that down, add more bondo if necessary, add detailing with tools and such, and then primer and paint.

thanx man and cool quote, is it really that important to hit every part with resin and fiberglass, or can i just use bondo on the areas(possibly caulk) that i didnt get?

thanx man and cool quote, is it really that important to hit every part with resin and fiberglass, or can i just use bondo on the areas(possibly caulk) that i didnt get?

I PERSONALLY find it important to put resin and fiberglass over the whole thing. Just so it has a lot of durability. you MIGHT be able to get away with just adding bondo, cause bondo is fairly strong, but i wouldn't try it. The amount of effort required to fiberglass the remaining bits of it would be minimal as opposed to it breaking from not enough fiberglass, and then youd have to repair it.

If it's just a super tiny piece, say a cm then you could probably get away with just putting bondo over the top, but if it's any bigger then you MAY run into some problems (but then again you may not).

If it's a time issue next time you resin something else (even if you're done bondoing your helmet) just put some on those areas and add some fiberglass real quick and then continue on with your other piece.

EDIT: oOOOoOoO that was my 117th post. Awesome. call me master chief. (until i post again lol)

I stopped and paused when I found the pepakura number 117 on the mark vi helmet. I was like, that's cool. Gotta remember where that is on it

i wouldn't put fiberglass on the outside. It would be really hard to sand down and get smooth. I fiberglass the inside and then add a layer of resin to the paper on the outside for a strong and smooth base

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back