Fiberglassing The Outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

spaz47

Jr Member
I am making a detailed needler. I have pepped it and have hardend the inside with glue. If I fibreglass the outside should I put a layer of resin on it first then fibre glass it then put bondo on for some details. I dont know how to proceed.
I have alreadsy made the needles and they came out decent. I domnt have pics due to my broken camera.

That's not a WIP, that's a question.

If I were you, I would either put some casting resin inside for more strengh, or try expanding foam.

Fiberglassing the outside without experience can be hard, to apply and to smooth later on.

Yea as Last Spartan has said, don't fiberglass the outside. Just fiberglass the inside. Just resin and bondo on outside.

Unless you know how you'll do it, just stick with the inside. I'm one of the very few who has fiber glassed the outside without losing detail.
I still have a youtube video showing how i do it.

i fg'd the outside of my helmet, and it didnt end up too bad, but on balance, and with hindsight, doing it inside would have been easier! the casting resin idea will give you the most strength, but expanding foam is pretty cheap! so its up to you

Be careful if you use the foam, that could ruin the shape of the needles, I would go with resin and bondo. You CAN fiberglass the outside, but you'll run the risk of losing a lot of detail, or you will end up spending a lot of time sanding and finishing the surface. I know of people that have done exterior fiberglassing, but be careful, I really don't recommend sanding fiberglass unless you have a nice respirator... always remember safety first!

Now, when you say your camera is broken, is that an excuse for being too lazy?

Just kidding. Anyways, since I'm almost completely new to this subject, I'd say do what LastSpartan said, because you will want a perfect smooth surface for the Covenant weapons, if you have a Needler that feels like it's made of rock and glue it won't do. And since sanding Fiberglass is so hard, getting that nice effect while avoiding the needles will be very hard. You may only have one chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back