Fightstar's Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

fightstar

This is me throwing down the gauntlet on making Spartan Mjolnir Armor. I have many a reason why I have delayed, but I will delay no longer. I will seize the day and do it. I now others have made great armor than the Pepakura I am about to attempt, but I want my own. I want to create and contribute. I want to own my own armor and, yes I said it, GEEK OUT like no tomorrow.

If anyone wants to post comments, good or bad, just keep the constructive. I am not offended by negative comments if they are meant for improvement and not tearing someone down. So post away and point me in the right direction if I am going astray.

I will start with the wiki here and get a simple file and start there. I already have some 110# paper, tape, glue and some other tools. I don't have the resin and mat yet. I don't have a garage to do this, but I have a back porch and a spare bedroom, which I need to clean.

Toss the tape away, resin will eat it into goo later on, if you want to patch up the inside, I guess it is ok, but just resin the outside first then. Cant wait to see what you make! Once you get the hang of pepakura, try making some HD modeled pieces, they may be a bit harder and time consuming, but they are godly in detail.

AoBfrost said:
Toss the tape away, resin will eat it into goo later on, if you want to patch up the inside, I guess it is ok, but just resin the outside first then. Cant wait to see what you make! Once you get the hang of pepakura, try making some HD modeled pieces, they may be a bit harder and time consuming, but they are godly in detail.

link4044 said:
well im glad that your back

No problem! Any ideas of which Pepakura model to start with? LOL Thinking of starting one of the low detail helmets or gauntlets, but I don't know where to look.

Last edited by a moderator:
fightstar said:
No problem! Any ideas of which Pepakura model to start with? LOL Thinking of starting one of the low detail helmets or gauntlets, but I don't know where to look.
If you want to go for the basic models, I'd use Robo's>>>click here. There are laid out very well.

If you're looking for the lower-detail Halo2 files, they're still in Jedifraz's Pep Tutorial topic, first post:

Jedifraz Pep Tut

If you're looking for some slightly more detailed but not too difficult H3 files, they're on the Wiki, along with handy little thumbnails (the high detail ones are on there too):

HaloCostuming Wiki Pep Index

As for which to start with, it's up to you... the H2 helmet (in the first link) is a good simple place to start and practice, but as soon as you finish you'll want to make a higher detail one.

23Magnum said:
If you want to go for the basic models, I'd use Robo's>>>click here. There are laid out very well.

I will take a look and start folding.

Ruze789 said:
If you're looking for the lower-detail Halo2 files, they're still in Jedifraz's Pep Tutorial topic, first post:

Jedifraz Pep Tut

If you're looking for some slightly more detailed but not too difficult H3 files, they're on the Wiki, along with handy little thumbnails (the high detail ones are on there too):

HaloCostuming Wiki Pep Index

As for which to start with, it's up to you... the H2 helmet (in the first link) is a good simple place to start and practice, but as soon as you finish you'll want to make a higher detail one.

I looked at this. Is the FLYING SQUIRL helmet the one on the list that is simple or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks for the help everyone and the timely responses. I will be clearing my work areas today and printing up some Pepakura .pdo files tomorrow for the weekend. :D

fightstar said:
Is the FLYING SQUIRL helmet the one on the list that is simple or am I looking in the wrong place?
FS(flying squirl) has what he calls a tester helmet for sizing before anyone actually prints and folds the more detailed one. Perhaps that's the simple version of his that you speak of? FS and Robo are semi-working together to create a High-Def suit, but both have basic models of the pieces they've completed for testing out sizes.

23Magnum said:
FS(flying squirl) has what he calls a tester helmet for sizing before anyone actually prints and folds the more detailed one. Perhaps that's the simple version of his that you speak of? FS and Robo are semi-working together to create a High-Def suit, but both have basic models of the pieces they've completed for testing out sizes.

Yeah, I think it's this one, but not sure. If not do you have a link to the correct one?

squirl's HD helmet is probably the most difficult of the Halo3 Master Chief helms...
For slightly simpler, I was thinking more of slyfo's model.

but if you like the way squirl's helms look, they're all in his thread,
LINK
First post has all his different helmets as well as the size tester... if his helm is what you want, it might not be a bad idea to download all of them, look at them and decide which one you like the best.

DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT use the spare bedroom when fiberglassing and or resinning, or for storage/drying during the drying processes of resinning and fiberglassing. All houses have some sort of connected ventilation system, so more than likely fumes from the resin and debris from the fiberglass will flow through the ventilation system and into other parts of the house. Also, it will be a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE b*tch to clean up, especially if you have carpet in that room. The most you can do with that spare bedroom is for storage after complete drying, or just for storing pep pieces awaiting the next step.

Ruze789 said:
squirl's HD helmet is probably the most difficult of the Halo3 Master Chief helms...
For slightly simpler, I was thinking more of slyfo's model.

but if you like the way squirl's helms look, they're all in his thread,
LINK
First post has all his different helmets as well as the size tester... if his helm is what you want, it might not be a bad idea to download all of them, look at them and decide which one you like the best.

I'll take a look and get to downloading. I have no real preference other than the fact I want Halo Armor with the EOD option because I love the look. :p If it works then it works. If not then we should find out why and improve it or go with a different option. Either way everyone here has contributed so much quality that I don't think you could go wrong on any path you take.

jimmyfu said:
DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT use the spare bedroom when fiberglassing and or resinning, or for storage/drying during the drying processes of resinning and fiberglassing. All houses have some sort of connected ventilation system, so more than likely fumes from the resin and debris from the fiberglass will flow through the ventilation system and into other parts of the house. Also, it will be a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE b*tch to clean up, especially if you have carpet in that room. The most you can do with that spare bedroom is for storage after complete drying, or just for storing pep pieces awaiting the next step.

Yeah, sorry I really should have clarified that statement. I'm cleaning up the spare bed room for storage and constructing Pepakura. I will be doing anything and everything fiberglass related OUTSIDE!! I have a nice 3m double filter dust mask, safety goggles, and a back porch for this. Need to invest in some baby power, latex gloves and a new dremel tool (the old Black & Decker wizard I had broke last week).

SO NO LUNG TRANSPLANT FOR ARMOR!!!! Seriously, thats for making that point. Your words are well received.

its all common sense. Read the stickeys, read the wiki, try the HD models when you think you can, and dont kill yourself with the resin.

we all have some experience, we can help your cause :)

rvb4life said:
its all common sense. Read the stickeys, read the wiki, try the HD models when you think you can, and dont kill yourself with the resin.

we all have some experience, we can help your cause :)

Thank you Sir! Much appreciated. I have the new version of Pepakura installed on my computer for some time. I just DLed the FS test helmet and used the sticky on scaling. Generated PDF of the pieces I need so I will print those out as soon as I can. I calculated the scale to be 25.0497907. Because I am 71" tall. However, I have a pretty big dome, 7 1/2 hat size, so I now some parts of my body will need special scaling than others. One step at a time as they say. :D

Awesome, there's another Tallahassee Spartan up and coming!

If you're interested in doing EOD, wait a bit on the helm. There's a simplified pdo coming out- I'm testing it, it's half-assembled, and far simpler than the current one up on the Index.

I'd say look at which non-permutation pieces out there haven't had HD pdos made for them yet, and do them to get the hang of folding. As others have mentioned, the Index is a great place to start. :D

There's also a pretty good tutorial on pepakura over on the wiki you might want to read through.

Good luck!

Vrogy said:
Awesome, there's another Tallahassee Spartan up and coming!

If you're interested in doing EOD, wait a bit on the helm. There's a simplified pdo coming out- I'm testing it, it's half-assembled, and far simpler than the current one up on the Index.

I'd say look at which non-permutation pieces out there haven't had HD pdos made for them yet, and do them to get the hang of folding. As others have mentioned, the Index is a great place to start. :D

There's also a pretty good tutorial on pepakura over on the wiki you might want to read through.

Good luck!

Dude sw33t!! Someone in my neighborhood!!! That is a first. Yeah, no problem. I have cleaned my workspace for paper folding and printed out FS test helmet. I will be putting this together this weekend for sure. Step in the right direction for sure.

Quick questions. Which glue is better to use to attach the Pepakura pieces together? I have read over and over this stickies, wikis and other tutorials here and I haven't really gotten a definitive answer on which one to use. Super glue, rubber cement or hot glue?

With some pepakura skill, you can do a FS hd helmet, but some people with 0 pepakura experience have made it very well. It is very time consuming, but heck, it brings more gratification than buying a halo 3 legendary helmet :p

fightstar said:
Dude sw33t!! Someone in my neighborhood!!! That is a first. Yeah, no problem. I have cleaned my workspace for paper folding and printed out FS test helmet. I will be putting this together this weekend for sure. Step in the right direction for sure.
Quick questions. Which glue is better to use to attach the Pepakura pieces together? I have read over and over this stickies, wikis and other tutorials here and I haven't really gotten a definitive answer on which one to use. Super glue, rubber cement or hot glue?

FS's test helm is indeed a good pdo to start with.

I understand the need for recommendations on glues.. people are divided on it. I've tried several types of super glue, and have yet to get the results I got the first time.. a consistency of glue that gives you a little time to position tabs, but does bond well rapidly is good, I remember sitting down with CQB pieces and having about 90% built in about an hour and a half.

It's all cheap, though- try it all, see what works best for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back