Fightstar's Armor Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fraz's are low res, Halo 2 files. I wouldn't get them for anything other than scaling FS's pep files (he has instructions on the first post of his topic)

Thanks everyone. I started to worry there for a min, but just another test in patients. :D

Read this and see if I understand this correctly. It sounds like I take JediFraz's files and use that as a test for scaling. Once I print his out at the scale I calculate and the pdo file I construct works I take the same scale and apply it to other files like on the wiki. Do I have this right? I really rather work on HD versions of stuff and go from there, but I might want to start on the low detail and get down the fiber glassing first. No need to ruin a good HD helmet due to lack of fiberglass experience right?

I'll restart on the tester helmet for now using the scaling from JediFraz's files and applying it to FS's files. Basically I will print a file from FS test helmet at height of 28.5 cm. As I said before I have a BIG head. I will have to test the scale on the other parts since my arms, chest and legs are probably the average size for a person 5'11" so I will test some arms and fore arms before I go HD on this mofo pdo file yo. :p

fightstar said:
Read this and see if I understand this correctly. It sounds like I take JediFraz's files and use that as a test for scaling. Once I print his out at the scale I calculate and the pdo file I construct works I take the same scale and apply it to other files like on the wiki. ...
I'll restart on the tester helmet for now using the scaling from JediFraz's files and applying it to FS's files.

Those original Halo2 models are a little different from the Halo 3 models, as each set came from a different game model. The proportions of the H2 pieces all vary slightly from the basic Halo 3 ones.

Depending on the time you're looking to put into the lower-resolution/ difficulty models, it might be a better idea to use Slyfo's or Robogenisis' basic H3 models, because those are the models that get modified into the HD ones, so the basic measurements should remain fairly consistent.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ruze789 said:
Those original Halo2 models are a little different from the Halo 3 models, as each set came from a different game model. The proportions of the H2 pieces all vary slightly from the basic Halo 3 ones.

Depending on the time you're looking to put into the lower-resolution/ difficulty models, it might be a better idea to use Slyfo's or Robogenisis' basic H3 models, because those are the models that get modified into the HD ones, so the basic measurements should remain fairly consistent.

Thanks! Much appreciated. I don't think I will become the next 'Picaso' of Mjolnir armor, but one can only train for success and learn from failure.

not sure if this helps or not. Im about 5' 8.5'' and I scaled my helm to 26.6 I think and its just the right size for me.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
not sure if this helps or not. Im about 5' 8.5'' and I scaled my helm to 26.6 I think and its just the right size for me.

It' might help. Tell me which file for the Helmet did you use and did you scale the armor with the same number? Drop a responds here or just PM me.

I'm going to start with the JediFraz forearm and other armor files to make sure my scaling works. I'll come back to the helmet once I get it figured out. Regardless of where I start I love making paper crafts. Things like the stuff on this blog here. FUN! Working on the 'Start Craft 2' gun rack. As much as I love this guys work I wish he had things marked for 'mountain' and 'valley' folds.

More Progress!!! After reading over Ronin's progress thread I used a scale of 58 on the Robo right hand smooth Pepakura model. Here is how it come out.

robo_smooth_r_hand_0.jpg

robo_smooth_r_hand_1.jpg

robo_smooth_r_hand_2.jpg

robo_smooth_r_hand_3.jpg

robo_smooth_r_hand_4.jpg

I think the scale works for my hand. Seems a bit big, but I think once I get the HD file printed the scale 58 will work. I could go for a 57, but you all take a look at the photo and tell me.

Many thanks to Ronin and his posts as well as Vrogy and everyone else for posting there thoughts. Slowly but surely I am coming along. Need some better glue than the hot glue gun I have because those pieces where small!! Also I will need some help in the future with fiberglass because I don't have a garage, like a few of you out there, and the logistics will be interesting to say the least. One step at a time.

Fightstar I see you built the base models first good idea!( I did not the first time) They are perfect for getting the scale correct! I think they look the correct size. I used the photo below for some reference scaling. Also once you have a glove on your hand will be a little larger. I will post a picture with my glove on tonight.
Ref39.jpg

Whoa! Thanks Ronin. I appreciated the comments and the pic. Yeah I will print out the the HD versions and head on to the rest of Robo's .PDOs so I can get this party started. :D More to come.

Right now reading this Crackhead09's experience at Megacon. Sounds like fun and a good reward for all the hard work.

OK here are pictures of my hand pieces.As you can tell your hand will look a little larger with a glove on. Did you get my PM?

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01297.jpg

YES PM received!!! That piece looks awesome! Lots of detail and time well spent. Also I will just assume that is a paintball style glove and nothing to brand specific. :p I have the HD versions of the hand plate downloaded and scaled to 58 ready to be printed. I also have the lower torso or belt, the shin, and DF4L's helmet scaled and ready to be printed. I figured that is enough Pepakura to keep me busy for the next 2 weeks or so.

I got the MA5C with clip which I will NOT scale. Weapons are weapons so no need to scale them. That is my theory so we shall see how that stacks up once I do it. Still need to figure out how to fiberglass weapons appropriately, but all in due time. Need to get some water based cement and some food coloring or some brush on superglue. Hot glue isn't really helping keep my fingers from getting burned and it drys to fast.

PM sent!! They are not paintball gloves. Beleive it or not I found them at Walmart about a year ago to do some work with.
But now they don't have solid black, all they have is gloves with colored stripes. I don't use them much, so they are perfect!!

Ronin said:
PM sent!! They are not paintball gloves. Beleive it or not I found them at Walmart about a year ago to do some work with.
But now they don't have solid black, all they have is gloves with colored stripes. I don't use them much, so they are perfect!!

I appreciate the PM and I have replied.

I went and got some Loctite Slow drying super glue. Yeap slow drying. Takes 30 to 60 secs or so it says. We shall see when I get to work on this tonight. I think I am going to get to that plasma pistol. I get paid this weekend (w00t) and maybe I can go get some foam filler and some resin and give that weapon a try.

After talking with Ronin here I will share with you all about this. Basically after I have finished weapon I will make pre-made holes in the weapon; resin the out side 2 times; then fill in multiple places with filler foam. Chances are I still have some around the house my father left from the last home improvement project. This should be fun!! :D

I will be starting on the hand plates, boot armor, lower torso and helmet in the future. I'll working on the scaling of the forearms and chest later. Some issues there I will have to work out. I want to do EOD so if I can get the right chest pieces that would be a problem, but one I can handle later.

Back to work.

fightstar said:
I appreciate the PM and I have replied.

I went and got some Loctite Slow drying super glue. Yeap slow drying. Takes 30 to 60 secs or so it says. We shall see when I get to work on this tonight. I think I am going to get to that plasma pistol. I get paid this weekend (w00t) and maybe I can go get some foam filler and some resin and give that weapon a try.

After talking with Ronin here I will share with you all about this. Basically after I have finished weapon I will make pre-made holes in the weapon; resin the out side 2 times; then fill in multiple places with filler foam. Chances are I still have some around the house my father left from the last home improvement project. This should be fun!! :D

I will be starting on the hand plates, boot armor, lower torso and helmet in the future. I'll working on the scaling of the forearms and chest later. Some issues there I will have to work out. I want to do EOD so if I can get the right chest pieces that would be a problem, but one I can handle later.

Back to work.

you should get some kicker for the super glue it will set it in secs

insta-set

you can get it at any hobby shop

*************UPDATE AND PROGRESS*************

Well I have stopped working on the plasma pistol for a while. Very intricate and I still need some practice on making sure everything turns out right. That being said I downloaded the Covenant Grenade and the Right bicep. I finished both and as you can see by the photos I still need a little more work.

covenant_grenade_test0.jpg

As you can see the grenade needs to be scaled down because it is huge! I'm not sure how big it is suppose to be.

Left-arm-front.jpg

Left-arm-side.jpg

Left-arm-back.jpg

On the bicep I'm not sure if it is to big or just right. I can tell I will have a hard time feeding myself much less, but putting on a helmet should be no problem. I'm just up sure about the size.

The other thing I am unsure about is EOD and these biceps. EOD armor has different shoulders and I don't think they go with the ones I have here. Is there a separtate set of Biceps for EOD? I will continue with the plasma pistol and the Left hand next. FUN FUN FUN! Lost of hours put in here, but that is the name of the game.

I look forward to everyones comments. Thanks.

###EDIT###

Using Ral Partha's equation for the chest.

46.99 cm Arm pit to Arm pit.

Assembly Height = 1.247x(AD) + 0.595 (in cm)

(1.247 X 46.99 cm) + 0.595 cm = 59.19153 cm

So it's 59.19153 cm for the height of the chest piece. I'll try the smooth on first before I get to the HD model, unless someone feels otherwise I'll risk it. No rush on this only for notes at this point.

Ronin said:
You are right I found the AR hard to build, I think beacuse it "self contained". To me the bicep looks a little big maybe its just the pics? OH I added a body measurement/scale on my post. It looks like you are close to my size maybe.
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...60&start=60

Thanks for the heads up. Remind me again how did you get the calculations? I ask because you are using Robogenisis made .PDO's and not Flying Squirrel's. It is also important because I need to scale up a few pieces since we are about the same in measurements. :D

Side note. I realize that I have the wrong bicep armor. The armor you see in the photos is a Mark 5 not a Mark 6 but I wanted to check some scaling and practice a bit so it's no big deal. I will use this for testing resin and fiber glassing once I get to that point.

I have another art project looming of head so I will take a break from this right now. Yeah, I know, but I am coming back. Just a little something to help a family member, but after this week I will head back to it. Until then I will work on the NEW bicep armor that just came out and start working on scaling things more appropriately.

I hope this progression does help a few people out there. I want to give back even thought right now I feel like I am taking a lot. Eventually it will come around and balance out.

###EDIT###

I printed out the forearm and bicep at 21 cm. Yeah TO SMALL!!! No problem, but that's 2.5 hours of experience. Fore arms need to be 28 and 29 on the biceps. That's the game we play. I'll have to print them out later. Tomorrow is time for family art time. Thanks everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back