Finished Mark Vl Using Hot Glue Method

Status
Not open for further replies.
tlither said:
Very nicely done! Do you plan on going back and using bondo to smooth it out after halo-ween?

Yeah dude, you really should. It looks awesome now, but with smoothing and bondo, it'll rival Adam's armor (quite possible). Very well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I don't care what you used - it looks great! I mean, it looks great! You can always revisit it to make changes, but I think it looks great now. And I especially like picture 41 out of 44. Got a little Captain in ya? Well done!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! I really put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into it. :p

@ Finnish: I used a HJC visor with two transparency film sheets over it to have that double visor look. It worked out pretty good.

@ tlither: Yeah, right after halloween, I'm going to try to use some bondo on the areas that needs to be smoothed out. Kinda like how crackhead details his armor. I might try using some smoothing ideas that sigma posted in another topic.

@ Bloodl3tt3r: My suit rival Adam's if I smooth it out?! Wow... thanks! I'm not too sure about that, but it will approve the look of my suit.

@ Arsai: Yeah, even spartans have to have a little captain in em! :)

Some of the pros and cons of having hot glue armor:

Pro: Non toxic. I started making this suit with the idea of not using any toxic material to reinforce it. Also, if it breaks or tears, it can be repaired easily. Also, it's very durable.

Cons: The fact that it can tear. I love this method, but if will never replace the strength of fiberglass. And if you want to bondo, it'll crack if you don't have enough hot glue to hold it together.

As for the folds, it's because I didn't bondo it. But I will in the near future. Had to make sure that the paint job was dead on to make up for it.

I wonder if ABFrost saw this... it was his method that made this suit a reality.

Your suit is amazing proportionally. Hey hold on... I'm 5' 8" too! Hope you don't mind if I hit you up for the sizes later on.

droodles said:
Your suit is amazing proportionally. Hey hold on... I'm 5' 8" too! Hope you don't mind if I hit you up for the sizes later on.

Check out post #15. Hope it answers your question. It's just a different scaling method I used. Worked for me, and who knows, it may work for you!

I can get the exact scaling sizes for you and Mac sometime soon!

Franbew said:
wow that is insane on just using hot glue. im very very very impressed.

keep up the good work. (hope you go back with bondo and do some smoothing, make it look sexy)
I agree iwas worrying about body filler but now that I have seen yours I realized that the paint job is so good that it makes up for not having smoothener

Franbew said:
wow that is insane on just using hot glue. im very very very impressed.

keep up the good work. (hope you go back with bondo and do some smoothing, make it look sexy)
I agree iwas worrying about body filler but now that I have seen yours I realized that the paint job is so good that it makes up for not having smoothener

claymationmarc! said:

Yes, having a good paint job can hide a lot of the flaws. But make no mistake, bondo or some other type of smoothener can really enhance the appearance of the suit. I just wanted to get mine done in time for halloween. I will probably modiefy *sp* it later or build a new one.

absolutely amazing job. Hard to believe it's just paper, hot glue and some paint. I look forward to the completed armor after you finish smoothing it out after Halloween.

TobyWanShinobi said:
Looks awesome man! I did detailing on my helmet with hot glue as well, my only concern is if it gets too hot and warps :eek: .

Yes, there was some minor and major warping. I had to fix those with cardboard supports, which helped out a lot. The trick is to apply a light coat at first, so that it won't warp when you apply the thick coats.

Well, here's the exact scale I used for my armor (height):

Biceps: 34.2
Forearm (nuggets): 27.3
Thighs: 39.4
Shins: 38.8
Boots: 15.9

Hope this helps.

My God! That looks amazing! :eek:
I haven't really seen much about the hot glue method, but you made it look like an amazing idea!

That is absolutely beautiful especially for hot glue. Definitly add bondo after halloween because that has a lot of potential. the helmet is especially nice it looks so smooth and with just hot glue. I can tell that you are going to move up the ranks quickly here and that you will make many great things.

@ VladtheRussian: Thanks Vlad! And the Hot Glue Method is a great method for those who decide not to use fiberglass. Credit for this amazing idea goes to ABFrost.

@nuhkschuitykaht: Thanks for the comments! :D And yes, I plan on smoothing it out and adding details after Halloween. I wanted to show folks that you can have a good set of armor using the hot glue method.

Sometime later, I'll post new photos of me with an AR I bought from Link at dragon con. And again, thanks for the comments everyone! :)

@pooper (lol, silly name - made me blush when I was talking about this with my daughter, "You gotta see pooper's armor!" LOL) - Thanks so much for sharing your work with us. I know there's a strong emphasis on high quality work with molding and casting, but sometimes we "want" to have fun now and as such we employ alternative means to completing a suit of armor. ;) I was talking with someone over on another thread and they've got a truly aggressive goal of getting a cardboard suit done before Friday. I inserted a link to this thread because good work can be done, but when he asked how long it took you to do yours, I didn't have an answer. I didn't see any mention when I went back through this thread of how long it took you. Maybe I just didn't see it, so I apologize if you did, but would you care to share the details of how long it took you?

Asrai said:
pooper (lol, silly name - made me blush when I was talking about this with my daughter, "You gotta see pooper's armor!" LOL) - Thanks so much for sharing your work with us. I know there's a strong emphasis on high quality work with molding and casting, but sometimes we "want" to have fun now and as such we employ alternative means to completing a suit of armor. ;) I was talking with someone over on another thread and they've got a truly aggressive goal of getting a cardboard suit done before Friday. I inserted a link to this thread because good work can be done, but when he asked how long it took you to do yours, I didn't have an answer. I didn't see any mention when I went back through this thread of how long it took you. Maybe I just didn't see it, so I apologize if you did, but would you care to share the details of how long it took you?

Yeah Asrai, I had that nickname for many years now! It was funny to hear the guy giving out my name badge at Dragon con! :p

It took me 10 months to complete. But keep in mine that I used all HD pep files (except for the space diaper), and I'm a really busy guy. I'm a free lance illustrator and an Art Director/Graphic Artist for the Augusta magazine where I live. I take time out with family, friends, etc. Plus, this is my second helmet (my first one was a learning experience) and I've made a kid size helmet for my niece.

All in all, good quality armor takes time and patience to make. I'm not saying that it can't be done in a short amount of time, but you'll have to put a lot into it. If your friend has the time, I believe he can get it done!

The time you invested shows. Really, you've got beautiful armor. So my next question pertains to your technique for heating hot glue. I've read the tutorial on hot glue (created by ABFrost, I think), but I'm curious to know your technique. Did you work with tiny batches of melted glue? Did you paint it on? What did you use as a heater? If you plan on (at a later point) strengthening your armor with bondo or resin, will it even adhere to the outside (assuming you coated the outside with hot glue)? Did you have to do anything to prep the hardened glue before painting? (I ask because I always thought paint on hardened hot glue would peel or scratch off).

Thats a really impressive suit you've got there. I must get a move on with mine. Been doing my HD helm for 3 weeks now and still havn't finished the pep. maybe i'm just picky. lol.

Anyway nice suit and could you please let me know where you got the size testers from.

Cheers

Allan

Asrai said:
The time you invested shows. Really, you've got beautiful armor. So my next question pertains to your technique for heating hot glue. I've read the tutorial on hot glue (created by ABFrost, I think), but I'm curious to know your technique. Did you work with tiny batches of melted glue? Did you paint it on? What did you use as a heater? If you plan on (at a later point) strengthening your armor with bondo or resin, will it even adhere to the outside (assuming you coated the outside with hot glue)? Did you have to do anything to prep the hardened glue before painting? (I ask because I always thought paint on hardened hot glue would peel or scratch off).
Wow! that's a lot of questions! I'll tell you what I did...

I used a portable stove and a small dog pan to heat the glue. I wait until it melted and turn off the stove, so it won't burn at the bottom of the pan (tho some did anyway). I applied a thin coat of hot glue on the inside of the pep piece with a paint brush so it won't warp, and later more thicker layers (about a quarter to half inch thick). In some areas, I used cardboard pieces to support it (like the brim of the helmet). I don't use hot glue on the outside, because you can't sand it well. What I used instead was Modge Podge, which help from keep the paint from soaking into the card stock. This way, I can do Adam's method of painting a little easier. As for bondo and resin, I'm going to try it out. It should adhere okay. I think. I may have to remove the paint. Hope this helps!

hey bro was wondering how much hot glue it took and how many paint brushes wasted? cause im waiting for someone to make a pic tut soon. and i think by the looks of your helm you would be the most perfect person to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back