Props Finished My First Weapon, Sorta (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arithen

Hi everyone, I am a semi new member and finally was able to finish my first pep piece, which turned out to be an SMG.

Here's a few pictures!

pb060110.jpg

pb060111.jpg

pb060113.jpg

pb060114.jpg

I realize that the small bit's where those holes are (near the top of the gun) are missing :)

I do have a quick question for you all. The next step is "resining" correct? And all i need to do for that is pretty much paint it over the gun? (i've seen all the videos, i'm just confirming that's the next step)

RESIN UPDATE!

pb080116.jpg

pb080117s.jpg

FOAM UPDATE!

pb120119.jpg

pb120120.jpg

MikyVengeance said:
that looks awesome!

did you use the pepakura file on the halo costuming wiki?

Thanks!

Yes i did, although i used the silencer one, but kinda messed up on the silencer so i scrapped that part. Is there other Pep files on other sites?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ghost147 said:
Thanks!

Yes i did, although i used the silencer one, but kinda messed up on the silencer so i scrapped that part. Is there other Pep files on other sites?

I have not seen anyother smgs on any other website before.

was it a hard build?

MikyVengeance said:
I have not seen anyother smgs on any other website before.

was it a hard build?

Well it was my first ever anything, so i dont really have too much of a say on that. I wouldnt say it was that difficult though, just time consuming (as i am sure are all pep pieces)

I find it a bit difficult to know where to actually start. As I said in the first post about those few holes near the top of the gun, the reason they are there are because i didnt know what those pieces were untill the end before it was too late to put them in (the need to be put in from the inside)

If you have the right paper then it's SOOOOOOOOO much easier. I grabbed some Astroparche Premium Cardstock from Wal-Mart for $8 for a big bundle and it works great! very tough paper.

Great job! I'm still working on my smg by nightshade. You are correct, the next step is resining. All you do is mix some hardener but not to much and brush it on with a paint brush or a foam brush, which I prefer. For those pieces you forgot, you can just glue the on the outside sorta. put glue on the inside of the tab and put it on. So the tabs are on the outside but its still an indent.

I suppose i have a second question too. Seeing how i cant really get inside to fiberglass the inside. so i just need to do coat after coat of resin?

What I'm doing with my nightshade SMG, is to cut it in half with a dremel and then fiberglass it.

You could also go the expanding foam route. But in theory you could use copious (word of the day calender finally pays off!) amounts of resin.

Sherm said:
What I'm doing with my nightshade SMG, is to cut it in half with a dremel and then fiberglass it.

You could also go the expanding foam route. But in theory you could use copious (word of the day calender finally pays off!) amounts of resin.

ok, sounds good. So fiberglassing is a must basically?... lame.

No, fiberglassing is not a must. In fact, I would highly reccommend that you go for the expanding foam route for weapons. It gives you a nice solid object and turns out plenty hard if you do it right.

Potshot said:
No, fiberglassing is not a must. In fact, I would highly reccommend that you go for the expanding foam route for weapons. It gives you a nice solid object and turns out plenty hard if you do it right.

Ok, ill give that a shot. But i should still resin, correct?

Here's what I find works best. Resin the outside of the weapon first, light coats only as you don't want warping. Next puncture a hole in it and place a funnel in it. Mix and pour some resin in it (extra hardener) and then do a slushing motion. Finally use a VERY SMALL amount of expanding foam when everything is good and hard and be sure to take a stick and stir the foam as it cures (gass bubbles can cause cave ins). Oh and use bondo to fill in that hole you just made. Just a pretty solid way of doing these weapons.

- Adulese

Adulese said:
Here's what I find works best. Resin the outside of the weapon first, light coats only as you don't want warping. Next puncture a hole in it and place a funnel in it. Mix and pour some resin in it (extra hardener) and then do a slushing motion. Finally use a VERY SMALL amount of expanding foam when everything is good and hard and be sure to take a stick and stir the foam as it cures (gass bubbles can cause cave ins). Oh and use bondo to fill in that hole you just made. Just a pretty solid way of doing these weapons.

- Adulese

THANKS! that helps a lot! ill be trying that tomorrow hopefully

light coats of resin is the key in all of this otherwise you end up with a warped weapon. also the more layer of resin you have the less are the chances that the expanding foam will warp/balloon your weapon. also try not to over fill with expanding foam otherwise you'll end up with foam on the inside,outside and all around your weapon.

Just to keep you guys updated! in case your interested. I'm about half way done the Resin job on this one.

pb080116.jpg

pb080117s.jpg

Tell me if you see anything wrong with it :) I've only done one side so far and it'll take a long time to cure in this weather...

Instead of Fiber Glassing or using expanding foam, you can use Smoothcast 300 to harden it. Just poor it inside and move it around to get all the spots hardend. Heres the link to were JediStumpy's tutorial:

I made the same smg. Good job on the trigger peice near the hand grip i found that to be a pain with the tiny pieces , but if you can still pull the stock off i recommend you mud glass it which is the mixing of resin and bondo to pour inside a piece to harden it( though you must make sure that you move it around inside to give it an even coat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back