Props Finished My First Weapon, Sorta (Pic Heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, i'll try those methods on future projects, i've already got the foam though :D

gingersnapples said:
nice job ghost! Do you plan on making the magazine removable anytime in the future?

Maybe on another project, this will just be a simple first creation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that is really good for a first project. I probably will never try Pep...I dont have the attention span for it.

haha, thanks :)

I do have another question though that someone can hopefully answer!

I am on my second coat of resin, this one is a lot thicker then the first. and i'll probably do a third coat. But how hard should the "shell" be before i know it'll hold up through a bit of roughhousing? I've found a nice quick way to make the resin dry under an hour even though it's 0 degrees Celsius outside, so i'm able to throw on a lot of resin coats on today. Should three coats be fine before i fill 'er with foam? or should i be adding more?

You would've been fine with about 1 or two coats on the outside. For the foam, you might want to resin the inside first as well. The foam will expand into every hole it can, if it can't find a hole, it'll rip apart your pep, if it can't do that it pack in really tight and densely. So the more resin you put on beforehand, the better-off you'll be.

Potshot said:
You would've been fine with about 1 or two coats on the outside. For the foam, you might want to resin the inside first as well. The foam will expand into every hole it can, if it can't find a hole, it'll rip apart your pep, if it can't do that it pack in really tight and densely. So the more resin you put on beforehand, the better-off you'll be.

ah, well i dont have much room to do the inside. i really only have the little barrel hole and that's about it.

Pour in the resin with extra hardener, put a piece of tape over the hole, and swish around the resin for the next 5-15 minutes. Then after it cures completely, make more holes about the diameter of a pencil, throughout the gun. Try to place them strategically, i.e one in the butt, one in the stock, ect...

Fill in one section, and wait an hour or two. Then fill in the next section, and so on. If it starts to balloon up, stick a long pointy object (skewer) into the foam in the problem area. If you hear a little hiss of air, then you got the air bubble and just made room for the foam to expand inwards.

Give it about 8 hours to completely harden, maybe more depending on how much you put in at a time. Then just bondo over the holes you made, and finish the gun like you would any other armor piece.

You don't need any room for the resin, just enough to stick the end of a funnel type object through. And you should use about the same amount of resin on the inside that you used on the outside, just more hardener.

I finally have foaming 95% complete and nice and hard too! After this i'll be throwin' on some clay and get some really nice detail out of it! I did a quick primer job in gray just to see any problems and bumps i could quickly sand off.

pb120119.jpg

pb120120.jpg

It's looking really good. Makes me want to want to make an SMG. Are you still thinking about adding a silencer on it? You can probably scratch build one if you don't want to use pep... like maybe using a paper towel cardboard roll or a piece of PVC pipe.

Looks good bud! :)

I would like to, i could probably thread the nossel and make a detachable one or something like that

Ghost147 said:
I would like to, i could probably thread the nossel and make a detachable one or something like that

i would, all it calls for is a barrel-like threaded object and a way to attach it.

gingersnapples said:
i would, all it calls for is a barrel-like threaded object and a way to attach it.

Yeah that shouldn't be difficult to find. depending on the size of it, a plastic pop bottle and it's lid should do just fine. (Obviously cutting off the neck and gluing it inside the silencer, and the lid inside the guns actual barrel)

I'm digging the SMG so far. I've beena little intimidated by the weapons since they seem to be complex, yet here I am a beginner working on an ODST helmet which I heard can be hellish for newcomers.

Still though, if I can get my weapons to look like that I'm happy I think! Keep showing off the progress if you ever get a chance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back