1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

Dismiss Notice

Finished pep, but resin? Too many choices! Need help ; - ;

Discussion in 'Halo Pepakura Costumes' started by VerdantTrash, Jun 18, 2018.

1. VerdantTrash

VerdantTrash New Member

I've probably watcher Cereal Kill3r's videos a thousand times over and I've decided to go with Epoxy Laminating resin. My question is:

Is this stuff good enough? It seems cheap for epoxy.
    {{model.productMeta.WebStoreDisplayName}}

If it isn't, what are my alternatives? Unfortunately I'm not quite 18 yet and my Mother is scared to death of fiberglass resin (Polyester). So that's a big no no.

I would like to be able to use this helmet for airsoft, so it needs to be strong. What GSM cloth do I need? What do you guys use? And how much do I need? I will most likely be purchasing from this selection if they are suitable. Woven Cloth / Roving - mbfg.co.uk

Thanks is advance guys.
    I'll probably post pictures as I go (It's a halo 3 CQB helmet)
    20180617_231843.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

That is a great pep job, VerdantTrash, good work!

Using the armor for airsoft isn't really kosher around here though. There's a whole thread from the mods about it.

Without the fiberglass and resin, I myself am not sure how you would even harden it enough. I don't have experience with most of those other choices. I would recommend hardening it as soon as possible, though, to prevent warping.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the build goes.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    VerdantTrash likes this.
  3. VerdantTrash

VerdantTrash New Member

Thanks dude! I'm suprised to hear about the airsoft thing! I've had a look and I'm very discouraged from making it for airsoft, this does not however mean I won't be making a suit! I definitely want to do conventions etc. Airsoft would just be a plus.
    This pep helmet was rushed as I got too excited! It was the file from the 405th armory and I had some trouble with the visor. I decided to remake it but using the L3x file. Its got much more detail. Here's some progress on that. I've impressed myself with what I can do when I'm not slashing away like a madman!

Screenshot_2018-06-20-00-31-03.png

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
    Lieutenant Jaku and Sean Anwalt like this.
  4. Sean Anwalt

Sean Anwalt RCO 405th Regiment Officer

Very nice! I'm working on a foam suit, and at the moment I must say I like pepakura more. I'm familiar with it, you know?

Definitely, though, slashing away like a madman is not going to get you good results compared to being patient. It's definitely a slow process.

VerdantTrash likes this.
  5. VerdantTrash

VerdantTrash New Member

Definitely agree. I tried foam and didn't get along with it. I much prefer the idea of something solid.

Sean Anwalt likes this.