Finished Pep Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright guys here it is, after countless hours a finished pepakura helmet. I started from pepakura, then fiberglass, then bondo, and finally paint.

Before paint

Here's the link to my gallery
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?automodu...um&album=25

I used Adam's paint technique. The hammered silver looks just like battle damage. It's my first helmet so its ok, and its starting to grow on me but i am a prefectionist, but it looks pretty good to me. During the fiberglass stage the mouth piece got warped and I didn’t notice. I didn’t bondo the entire thing like I should have and after 4 hours of sanding I called it quites and just painted it. The mouth piece is warped and its not completely smooth like it should be. These are my options what should I do?

1. Cut out the mouth guard and replace it, sand it down until the entire helmet is smooth, and dremel in the details. Buy 2 gold visors and make it look 1337.

2. Go with all Black armor, so you cant really see the blemishes.

3. Sell it, if someone pm’s me a price I cant refuse.

4. Be content with what I have.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

smilie120

Sr Member
how long did it take?!?!?! i making my second decent pep helm ive been sanding it for 5 hours and the cheek bone still isnt smooth......... :mad: ima using butter putty 2 (commonly known as stopper, finings, or thinner filler) how long did it taker to sand?

I did one coat of resin on the cardstock, then i did 3 coats of fiberglass cloth on top of that, then bondo body filler for the top layer to make it smooth.

Mastergunnz

Awesome! I'd be happy as all hell let out if I could do something like that! Awesome job man! Possibly the best Pep helmet to date (Though no offense to the others who have gotten through Bondo, sanding and painting.).

I used bondo body filler, it is so annoying. You only have like 4 mins to get the stuff on there decently smooth then you have to sand it the rest of the way. I had to do some areas twice. But i sanded for like 3 hours and then i just really gave up. The helmet isnt completely smooth like it should be. But im sure if i would have spent another 5 or 6 hours with bondo and sand paper it would have been very smooth.

cgspartan

mnm_enterprises said:
I used bondo body filler, it is so annoying. You only have like 4 mins to get the stuff on there decently smooth then you have to sand it the rest of the way. I had to do some areas twice. But i sanded for like 3 hours and then i just really gave up. The helmet isnt completely smooth like it should be. But im sure if i would have spent another 5 or 6 hours with bondo and sand paper it would have been very smooth.

for those small areas of the body filler that aren't as smooth as you'd like after a lot of sanding you can just go back over that area with the bondo glazing and spot putty... it comes in a tube and is much much easier to sand than normal bondo

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.