Finishing a print

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRKE115

Question for the pros: should I try to lightly sand this and do a clear coat of spray paint, or leave it be? I'm planning to paint the letters white somehow, and then clear coat it, just can't decide whether to lightly sand the rest as well.

Attachments

• VID_20220112_093815707.mp4
    21.7 MB
Hello, no expert but I do have a few questions for you;
Are you trying to preserve the original color and finish, or would you be fine with primer over it?
If you are trying to preserve the finish: Either option is okay, sanding would make it look cleaner but there is always a risk of damaging the natural 3d finish, id recommend high grit.
If you don't mind ruining the finish and it will be painted over anyhow: Sanding is still an option and lower grit could be used to start out, but I would also recommend sandable filler primer for quicker results.

Question for the pros: should I try to lightly sand this and do a clear coat of spray paint, or leave it be? I'm planning to paint the letters white somehow, and then clear coat it, just can't decide whether to lightly sand the rest as well.
Okay, I’m not a professional but pretty damn close. Here’s my take:

First, that print looks like SILK PLA. If it is, stop where you are and print it again in PLA+ or PETG.
SILK is extremely hydrophilic, meaning it absorbs water.

Second, always start off by sanding your raw print. I usually go with a 80g, clean the piece and start with filler primer. If you layer lines are particularly bad I’ll use spot putty, sand that as smooth as I can get it then start applying filler primer.

Last, if you have access to a HVLP sprayer, catalyzed primers like Evercoat Featherfill G2 are unbeatable when post processing prints.

Hello, no expert but I do have a few questions for you;
Are you trying to preserve the original color and finish, or would you be fine with primer over it?
If you are trying to preserve the finish: Either option is okay, sanding would make it look cleaner but there is always a risk of damaging the natural 3d finish, id recommend high grit.
If you don't mind ruining the finish and it will be painted over anyhow: Sanding is still an option and lower grit could be used to start out, but I would also recommend sandable filler primer for quicker results.
I have no idea how to use filler primer, but I'm hoping to use the natural color of it. I'm just trying to decide wether I can call it "battle worn" and leave it at that. I think I will try to use high grit sandpaper and a clear coat of matte spray paint. I was already thinking to do it, just wanted others' opinion before i actually did it.

Okay, I’m not a professional but pretty damn close. Here’s my take:

First, that print looks like SILK PLA. If it is, stop where you are and print it again in PLA+ or PETG.
SILK is extremely hydrophilic, meaning it absorbs water.

Second, always start off by sanding your raw print. I usually go with a 80g, clean the piece and start with filler primer. If you layer lines are particularly bad I’ll use spot putty, sand that as smooth as I can get it then start applying filler primer.

Last, if you have access to a HVLP sprayer, catalyzed primers like Evercoat Featherfill G2 are unbeatable when post processing prints.
I feel like I would need 20 different how to video for that. I'll double check which pla it is, but honestly I don't think I can stand to wait to print the entire thing again. I'm planning on using a clear matte finish of spray can paint. I will probably do similar stuff to what you suggested here years in the future when I have my own garage and LARGE workbench. Admittedly I'm probably putting too much faith into the paint sealing the whole thing, hoping that a few layers will solve most of hydrophilic issues. This isn't some crazy print meant for airsoft, it is just me trying to get slightly better at making new iterations of my costume. I will take your advice into account though, and thanks for you for it.

I have no idea how to use filler primer, but I'm hoping to use the natural color of it. I'm just trying to decide wether I can call it "battle worn" and leave it at that. I think I will try to use high grit sandpaper and a clear coat of matte spray paint. I was already thinking to do it, just wanted others' opinion before i actually did it.
it comes in a spraycan, just spray it in layers and then sand smooth instead of having to hand fill or sand down seams if you plan on painting it! Good luck!

As Kae said, high grit will help get the best finish, and wetsanding on a high grit too for even more shine. You can use a lower grit first if you wanted to remove some of the layer lines (though to me it didn't look too bad!)

However... You'll want to do some tests first. You'll want to make sure that sanding won't ruin the shiny finish you want, and definitely want to check the clear coat won't hinder it either. Some clear coats, even if they are glossy, give different results and could ruin the effect you're going for.

As Kae said, high grit will help get the best finish, and wetsanding on a high grit too for even more shine. You can use a lower grit first if you wanted to remove some of the layer lines (though to me it didn't look too bad!)

However... You'll want to do some tests first. You'll want to make sure that sanding won't ruin the shiny finish you want, and definitely want to check the clear coat won't hinder it either. Some clear coats, even if they are glossy, give different results and could ruin the effect you're going for.
Okay, thx. I'll do some testing areas on the back of it, we're it won't be visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back