First 3D printed Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNSCTerminus

Hey y'all,

Just joined the forum and am looking to start 3d printing my own suit of armor. Besides files, any tips or info that would be helpful for starting out? I only have an elegoo neptune 3 max to work with, and am just looking to make a good suit really

TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't jump straight in to printing full suit parts, it'll only end in tears. I can't tell you how much filament I burned trying to figure things out only for it to end in a failed print. Not sure of your total 3D printing experience, but if you're using Cura, download Calibration Shapes from the marketplace. You can print temperature and retraction towers, calibration cubes, overhang tests, and tons more. Make a bunch of test prints, change settings in 5 degree or 5mm/s increments, and compare the results. Take your time figuring it out with the small prints that don't waste tons of filament, then once you have it figured out move on to your armor.

Best of luck! In the middle of printing my first suit as well and it's been a ton of fun. Well worth the effort!

Hey y'all,

Just joined the forum and am looking to start 3d printing my own suit of armor. Besides files, any tips or info that would be helpful for starting out? I only have an elegoo neptune 3 max to work with, and am just looking to make a good suit really
Welcome to the 405th!

Have you made any other cosplays before or would this be the first time? If this is your first go I always recommend people to do at least 1 foam build before going to 3D printed cosplay. Foam is more cost conservative and tends to be a bit more forgiving on scaling.

If you do still plan on starting with 3D printing and want to make the best suit possible, I would look at some of the in progress builds in the Halo Costumes and Props section of the forums to get some ideas on things like printing, finishing, and (the bane of my existence) fitment. As BinaryHe1ix said take your time, you will make mistakes, parts will fail, parts will break. Prints are going to fail in everyway, shape, and form imaginable as well as fail in hours, days, and sometimes weeks of print time depending on size.

Also don't forget we do have a discord where there is generally someone who can help you in places like our Crafting Chat and threads there as well! Please though, don't forget about the forums, they are longer lasting and a much better place to look back at your accomplishments as time goes on.

I wish you the best of luck with all of your builds!

Long spiel right? What armor do you want to make?

Along with what everyone has already mentioned, I say don’t be afraid to mess up too. I exclusively print my stuff. And there have been so many times I’ve messed up or the printer messed up. Don’t worry. It’s normal. Lol. Oh and depending on how you plan on pack Ming and traveling with your armor, I recommend printing with PETG or PLA+. Both have a higher impact and temp rating. So they won’t warp from heat inside a tote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back