First (and horrible) attempt at a 3D printed ODST helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearose

This was my first attempt getting back into building. I obviously want to make a full suit (my shoulder guards are printing as I type this). This helmet came out poorly. Cheap pla, loose parts on my printer, poor bed leveling, etc. I want to get my color scheme down now so I don't end up botching my actual good prints. There will be a lot of pieces in this build that might look absolutely terrible and I'm ready for the criticism lol.
IMG_20200720_201150.jpg
IMG_20200720_201154.jpg
IMG_20200720_201157.jpg
IMG_20200720_201200.jpg
IMG_20200720_201208.jpg

As you can see, these are very poorly and sloppily welded together. I will fix this to be of decent quality. First step was wood filler. I see so many people online talk about it but most people use spot putty. So I tried slapping some on. This ended in an almost comical way.
IMG_20200720_212235.jpg
IMG_20200720_212238.jpg
IMG_20200720_212249.jpg
IMG_20200720_212255.jpg

Now doesn't that just look beautiful! By the way, wood filler is an absolute mess to clean up and sand. After a couple rounds with filler primer I do plan on using spot putty to fix a lot of the damage I did in my haste. On the filler primer note...
IMG_20200721_201439.jpg
IMG_20200721_201447.jpg

Turns out microfiber cloth is not a great way to "dust off" the sanding. That beautiful glob on the back and front are the aforementioned micro fibers. Adds beauty and character! Haha. Anyway, you can see the spots I was talking needing spot putty but most of the print cleaned up surprisingly well for how sloppy I was. Every print can be salvaged, just means a ton more work in the mean time. On to where I sit now.
IMG_20200721_201756.jpg

My "beautiful" assistant there is a head I got from someone going through cosmetology school. Once she's bald, she will make an excellent stand for continued painting. Let's just call her... Amanda? Sure, her name is Amanda. I'll keep updating as I go. Maybe I'll surprise even myself with the sanding an cleanup. Because let's be real here, this is only day one.

Doesn't look too bad - the best thing is, you know what went wrong and how to improve for next time.

Doesn't look too bad - the best thing is, you know what went wrong and how to improve for next time.
Love the vote of confidence mate! And thank you. I've actually resized the helmet and nailed down all of the issues with my printer. Plus I have two more printers that will be running with this. Printed it in 8 pieces on an Ender 3... Not fun. The CR-10 S5 will be doing a bulk of the heavy lifting. But the Ender is great for the smaller bits.

You have done a really good job considering the issues you have had with the printer. Everyone has printer issues at times regardless of how expensive the machine is. Where did you get the helmet file? I looked at a load of ODST Helmet files when choosing the one I printed and I don't recognize it

You have done a really good job considering the issues you have had with the printer. Everyone has printer issues at times regardless of how expensive the machine is. Where did you get the helmet file? I looked at a load of ODST Helmet files when choosing the one I printed and I don't recognize it
That's from the non updated version of MoeSizzlac's Rookie ODST. The updated version has a removable back plate. There's a couple of small details missing like the indented lines on the top for the center line. But you can easily fix that with some files and a Dremel. I believe it is available in the Armory but I know it's on thingiverse.

Edit: The download will have files for the entire suit in very good quality. Here's about 15% into the shoulder guards from his files
IMG_20200722_012423.jpg

Also, hate to spam you, but any files you can recommend for the chest and back plate would be a massive help

Also, hate to spam you, but any files you can recommend for the chest and back plate would be a massive help

Unfortunately I have not printed my ODST armour yet so can't fully recomment one, planning on a mix or 3d printing and foam for mine. The only files I have seen with a chest and back plate are from MoeSizzlac (if you are meaning the iconic ODST chest and not something that may go underneath). I have seen a really nice ODST chest but its the Halo Reach ODST chest for spartans which is a bit different from normal ODST one (That can be found on Etsy and CGTrader but costs $35)

Unfortunately I have not printed my ODST armour yet so can't fully recomment one, planning on a mix or 3d printing and foam for mine. The only files I have seen with a chest and back plate are from MoeSizzlac (if you are meaning the iconic ODST chest and not something that may go underneath). I have seen a really nice ODST chest but its the Halo Reach ODST chest for spartans which is a bit different from normal ODST one (That can be found on Etsy and CGTrader but costs $35)
Ah, I gotcha. I have a CGtrader model that I had to pull apart but it didn't have anything supporting under the chest and back pieces. So I'm thinking I might have to put it on a foam base

This was not a bad job at all for your first print, I don’t think any of us get it right on the first try. Keep at this and you’ll look back and enjoy the finished product and all the challenges that came with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back