First Build, GEN-II Recon Pep Armour

Status
Not open for further replies.

HydratedFormula

Okay so I've been lurking around the forum for a few weeks gathering Intel like my sneaky ONI Spartan Alter Ego.

Im going to be doing a pep build of the GEN-II Recon Armour, based on my Halo4 Spartan, the actual build won't start till October 3rd as my laptop died and as we all know, Pepakura Designer/Viewer isn't available as an app...

So so what I plan to build.

Recon Helmet: Needs building
Recon Chest: Built
Recon Shoulders: Scaled
Arm: Not Started
Thigh: Not Started
Shin/Boot: Not Started
Undersuit: Not Started
Silenced Pistol: Not Started
Assault Rifle: Not Started

Sticking with my Shadowy ONI head cannon for this fella I'm hoping to build the ODST Pistol and SMG as their suppressed and quiet but hope to at one point have a little armoury built up

I'll be posting lots of WIP pics once I've started! As much to keep my own motivation as to try and inspire others with their own builds!

Good luck on your build dude! I'm planning on getting mine done by Oct. 31st if I can find some .stl files for my printer :D

good luck i will be following to see the progress

and BlueFire you want to print assemble and paint a whole armor in one month ?

Last edited by a moderator:
So it took me 5 days to finally get things rolling it's now 5am and I've got half a helmet done and as far as I can tell so far sized okay, but we shall see if I'm right on that by end of tomorrow or the day after.

My paitence and ability to absorb myself in a task is both blessing and curse as I now need to fall unconscious I've been away for 21 hours...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 401
  • image.png
    image.png
    946.3 KB · Views: 401
So it took me 5 days to finally get things rolling it's now 5am and I've got half a helmet done and as far as I can tell so far sized okay, but we shall see if I'm right on that by end of tomorrow or the day after.

My paitence and ability to absorb myself in a task is both blessing and curse as I now need to fall unconscious I've been away for 21 hours...

Looks like your building a halo 3 recon helmet there I thought you were going to build the halo 4 gen 2 recon armor

Looks like your building a halo 3 recon helmet there I thought you were going to build the halo 4 gen 2 recon armor

Ah should have said something about that, after looking around the forums, I wanted to use a smoothed version of the helmet (you can't edit the smoothness i.e the number of folds you have unless you have a key for Pep Designer) and there isn't a smoothed Halo4 model that I could find!

I'll probably end up doing myself a second helmet though as I do want that Gen-II look, for now though this one is simpler

Ah should have said something about that, after looking around the forums, I wanted to use a smoothed version of the helmet (you can't edit the smoothness i.e the number of folds you have unless you have a key for Pep Designer) and there isn't a smoothed Halo4 model that I could find!

I'll probably end up doing myself a second helmet though as I do want that Gen-II look, for now though this one is simpler

Try look for spartansonny's H4 recon helmet unfold its not in the 405th file archive its on 4shared i think the one here is for foam

Try look for spartansonny's H4 recon helmet unfold its not in the 405th file archive its on 4shared i think the one here is for foam

Found a few other of his stuff on the magic that is Google, but not the Recon, may drop him a message see if he has a copy somewhere.

Well, it's a pity.
IMO the GEN2 Recon helmet unfold looks very nice... but you and your decision, so good luck.

Well, it's a pity.
IMO the GEN2 Recon helmet unfold looks very nice... but you and your decision, so good luck.

Im getting the feeling that my current helmet will be too small, so a new build will probably be needed anyway and I've got the files for the Gen-II one as well, scaled and ready to be printed off but we'll see what happens.

Getting the right scale is always difficult. Sometimes even 1cm is a big difference... but even if your first helmet will be indeed too small, you've already gained some experience, so the next attempt should be easier for you.

- Palmer

As it turns out it fits very well, except I messed up and one side has warped a little and pulled the whole helmet so it slants a little, not much but enough to through off how it looks and the way the visor area as fitted together. I believe I could "possibly" salvage something in the bondo stage but I won't risk that, so I'm going to use the helm to practice my resining and such but probably won't use this helm.
Going to take a day then start on a new helmet this weekend between my shifts
. image.jpeg

Okay so started on the torso today, going to be building it in sections at a time.
First bit I'm concentrating on the front of the armour.
Where I'm up to right now
image.jpeg

What at I hope to do tomorrow as viewed in Pep
image.jpeg

Apologise for for the state of the pictures! Should be more soon though, and if the weather is okay tomorrow I'm going to be resining the helmet as a bit of practice, fingers crossed the weather is like it was today and it's sunny!

Great progress so far. I envy the fact that you're already starting the chest piece. I just got the pep files for my chest and shoulder armor and I am dying to get started, so maybe I can pick your brain for tips when I get to this stage. Let's stay motivated!

Great progress so far. I envy the fact that you're already starting the chest piece. I just got the pep files for my chest and shoulder armor and I am dying to get started, so maybe I can pick your brain for tips when I get to this stage. Let's stay motivated!

Honestly I didn't want to start a new helmet fresh on the back of the old one so to keep the build going I started on the chest, as my guideline finish date is around the end of the year!
What chest piece are you doing? I've been een keeping up with your EOD helmet build

Honestly I didn't want to start a new helmet fresh on the back of the old one so to keep the build going I started on the chest, as my guideline finish date is around the end of the year!
What chest piece are you doing? I've been een keeping up with your EOD helmet build

Glad to hear it, and I'll be keeping up with yours. I've got the same end of year goal for my suit. My chest piece will be the Halo 4 EOD armor by Crimson and Tabris89. My entire suit pretty much revolves around the Reach EOD helmet, though I'll be mixing and matching armor pieces based upon what I like. I'm not really a purist, I just want to look cool at the end of the day, haha.

Okay so today I didn't get as much as I wanted done but it's progress!

left picture is off where I'm at now while the right picture shows part of how I've been prepping, I like to know where everything will be going (more or less) and how it'll look, it's why each part takes me so long! Spend so much time dry fitting and testing and referring to The model in Pep!
image.jpeg image.jpeg

"Measure twice, cut once."

That's what my boss said back when I was a construction assistant, and I've never forgotten those words. I'm so glad I checked on your progress, because now I'm energized to keep working for a few more hours tonight!

How's the fit so far? Think you'll have to scale it or is it good?

It's too hard to tell about the fit at the moment, all the parts seem to be the right size, I'll know more when I've gotten further along but I'm fairly hopefull, the helmet was only too small as I couldn't see it fitting after adding fibreglass and padding so I added an extra 10cm onto the scale for this and did the same for the helmet when I printed out the replacement!

Test and adjust as I wa taught on the ranges. Test and adjust.

"Measure twice, cut once."

That's what my boss said back when I was a construction assistant, and I've never forgotten those words. I'm so glad I checked on your progress, because now I'm energized to keep working for a few more hours tonight!

How's the fit so far? Think you'll have to scale it or is it good?
Reminds me of what my Strength of Materials professor said to the class.

"Engineers: Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe."

In any case, looking good so far, HydratedFormula. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back