"First" build H2 ODST WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've decided to make a halo suit :D and it's turning out great so far. I've gotten the helmet bondoed and ready for sanding and paint, and the chest piece is pepped as well as one shin piece.

Here's the proof:

odstprogress007.jpg

odstprogress008.jpg

odstprogress006.jpg

odstprogress.jpg

I've labeled the shin piece just for good measure

Please comment and tell me what you think, I'll have more pictures soon :)

So I've decided to make a halo suit :D and it's turning out great so far. I've gotten the helmet bondoed and ready for sanding and paint, and the chest piece is pepped as well as one shin piece.

Here's the proof:

odstprogress007.jpg

Please comment and tell me what you think, I'll have more pictures soon :)

Looking good so far. However, I think you misused bondo on your helmet. H2 ODST looks angular in all angles. In your case, there is no need to put bondo on the entire helmet. Bondo should be used on areas that you want to smooth out, or any areas that are curved. For example the top of the helmet may need bondo. You can skip the front cheeks. Bondo is extremely difficult to sand. After you sand the first layer, more than likely you need to do the second layer.

a bit more sanding and a nice paint job then a nice blueish black visor you should be good. I would suggest cutting the thigh peices of the belt piece when you pep it though.

yeah I've done a little sanding and my arms are really sore and I'm going to pick up some paint later today and I was thinking the same thing for the thigh pieces. wow talk about a run-on sentence

yeah I've done a little sanding and my arms are really sore and I'm going to pick up some paint later today and I was thinking the same thing for the thigh pieces. wow talk about a run-on sentence

Do NOT paint this while you have all those holes in there. Believe me, the paint will REALLY make them stand out and make the whole model look like one giant Bondo brick. This may sound harsh, but while your model is certainly smoother on the second set of photos than on the first, it's far from actually being smooth.

I did one coat of primer and a coat of black and I'm going to hand paint all the imperfections silver.

odstprogress014.jpg

odstprogress015.jpg

odstprogress016.jpg

odstprogress017.jpg

I know there are a lot of imperfections but I think the silver will look good

You should use spot putty or bondo to fill the holes and imperfections. You said you used bondo, but are you sure you are using it right? Its coming out really rough and bumpy.

this is the first time i've ever used bondo so I could be doing it wrong, but I used some silver paint to fill in the imperfections and make it look like damage. I think it looks pretty good but tell me what you think...

odstprogress018.jpg

odstprogress019.jpg

odstprogress020t.jpg

odstprogress021.jpg

there's quite a bit of silver, I know

this is the first time i've ever used bondo so I could be doing it wrong, but I used some silver paint to fill in the imperfections and make it look like damage. I think it looks pretty good but tell me what you think...

odstprogress020t.jpg

A good attempt, but I can tell that this is the first time you used bondo. As I said earlier, you used Bondo incorrectly. You should apply first layer, sand, apply second layer, sand. Spot filling bond and sand again. I can tell you are rushing to get a helmet done. Trust me, this is something that you cannot rushed. I did the same mistake on my first helmet. You should get the helmet as smooth as possible.
I hope you don't take this negatively but to take this as a learning stage. I think you have good intention in making the helmet battle damage, but it looks really sloppy. Battle damage is usually done by dry-brushing the helmet lightly, not filling holes with silver.

Marshon is quite skilled in painting. I suggest that you read some his tutorials. Here is a start:
http://www.405th.com/showthread.php/33075-Tutorial-Helmet-paint-fitting-details-visor-lining-electrics

I have been working on armor building 2 years and I have still a lot of things to learn.

thank you, I was a little rushed and I'm probably going to re make this helmet when I get the rest of the suit done. This was sort of a practice run I guess you could say and I agree it does look really sloppy, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by air brushing

thank you, I was a little rushed and I'm probably going to re make this helmet when I get the rest of the suit done. This was sort of a practice run I guess you could say and I agree it does look really sloppy, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by air brushing

Not air-brushing. It is called dry-brushing. Take a wide brush, dip a little paint at the edge. Rub off the paint on a paper (news paper) until a little paint is barely noticeable. Take the brush and lightly brush over the edges of the helmet to give it a worn out look.

ok, also do you think the helmet if salvageable if I do a lot more sanding and some more bondo just to fill in the holes? Because that would be a helluva lot easier than making a new one

ok, also do you think the helmet if salvageable if I do a lot more sanding and some more bondo just to fill in the holes? Because that would be a helluva lot easier than making a new one

Certainly. That's why I told you to do it in the first place :)
I'd stick with sanding for the time being though.

Allot of sanding, just a little bondo, and hopefully just a touch of spot putty can clean the helm up.

I know double posts are evil but I have a few questions I need answered:

1. Are two layers of fiberglass necessary or is that "overkill"
2. Is there a way to get all the resin out of the brush, because I'm burnin' through em like nobody's business
3. Once I get the chest piece done and in two pieces what's the best way to apply the bondo?

Sorry again for the double post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back