First build Mk V Reach style

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsiGubben

Hello! I'm very new to this community but nonetheless I want to build my very own spartan armor. As I already have a 3d printer and some skill with Autodesk Fusion I thought I might 3d print my set.

I quickly realised this would not be as easy as I thought and have already encountered several problems. I was wondering if anybody else here has attempted this and how you managed it. As it stands the printer I have is a Prusa MK3s and it seems most armor pieces will be to large to print as is and I will need to split them up.

I'm having a lot of difficulty editing STL files in Fusion. I'm basically just looking for tips if there are any.

Thanks!

[UPDATE TIME]
I have printed the front part of the helmet and some details along with it. I have since run out of plastic and am currently waiting for more to arrive.
Snapchat-77109034.jpg
I have also begun priming and sanding the UA attachment to the helmet and it is turning out very well. This is the third coat of primer before sanding
Snapchat-547569247.jpg
I'm actually really really enjoying this project so far, it feels really good to shape this stuff out and make it look good. I feel like I have got a grip on the techniques and 3d tools I'm working with.

Stay frosty out there
/Spartan 147

Last edited:
Hey PepsiGubben,

I've actually printed my entire suit on a Prusa i3MK3s. You will need to break the pieces into smaller parts and then assemble them after printing.

Here is a link to my build thread if you want to look it over - MrJamin's 3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

I'd be happy to talk through all of the fun things I've learned and challenges I have had as I have been working on mine.

For Reference - I used the files from MoeSizzlac

He has some that are already sliced up for printing on our size of printer (though you will still want to scale them to fit you)

Hey PepsiGubben,

I've actually printed my entire suit on a Prusa i3MK3s. You will need to break the pieces into smaller parts and then assemble them after printing.

Here is a link to my build thread if you want to look it over - MrJamin's 3D Printed MK VI Master Chief

I'd be happy to talk through all of the fun things I've learned and challenges I have had as I have been working on mine.

For Reference - I used the files from MoeSizzlac

He has some that are already sliced up for printing on our size of printer (though you will still want to scale them to fit you)
Thank you so much for your reply!

I have to ask. What program sid you use to split parts? I'd love to talk if you want to give any tips. Hit me up with a DM if you feel like it!

I didn't have to split the parts too much since Moe's files are already split. However, I've used the built in cutting in Prusa Slicer when I've needed to break things up for other projects.

Hello! I'm very new to this community but nonetheless I want to build my very own spartan armor. As I already have a 3d printer and some skill with Autodesk Fusion I thought I might 3d print my set.

I quickly realised this would not be as easy as I thought and have already encountered several problems. I was wondering if anybody else here has attempted this and how you managed it. As it stands the printer I have is a Prusa MK3s and it seems most armor pieces will be to large to print as is and I will need to split them up.

I'm having a lot of difficulty editing STL files in Fusion. I'm basically just looking for tips if there are any.

Thanks!
I'm also a Fusion monkey and a print hobbyist so welcome to the crew. For my first printed Halo armour I printed only the helmet fully (designed in Fusion) and then made the majority of armour out of foam with some high detail pieces as 3D printed parts. Using the Wanhao Duplicator I had at that point even a helmet was eight parts and took about a week and a half to print fully so it definitely took some time.

For my fully printed suit I used a larger machine that even then still took a month and a half of print time to finish a full armour set. Depending on your time printing will change, I'm decidedly not SPARTAN shaped being only 175cm tall and not made of spaghetti (SPARTANs have weird proportions and are stick people) so I may have saved some time printing compared to others.

Meshmixer is sometimes easier than Fusion for performing plane cuts on STLs but on higher density meshes it can have a real bad time. If Meshmixer fails, I go to Blender. If Blender fails then the work gets really manually taxing but there is ways to do it, they're not fun but they're doable in Fusion.

Okay so I have figured it out now. Thank you for your help MrJamin, I'm also using MoeSizzlac's files from now on. I have it all figured out and have actually just finished printing out my first piece, the M6 Magnum. The only piece I actually need to split is the helmet and I managed to do that in PrusaSlicer like you said.

IMG_20200729_122549.jpg

For my fully printed suit I used a larger machine that even then still took a month and a half of print time to finish a full armour set. Depending on your time printing will change, I'm decidedly not SPARTAN shaped being only 175cm tall and not made of spaghetti (SPARTANs have weird proportions and are stick people) so I may have saved some time printing compared to others.

Meshmixer is sometimes easier than Fusion for performing plane cuts on STLs but on higher density meshes it can have a real bad time. If Meshmixer fails, I go to Blender. If Blender fails then the work gets really manually taxing but there is ways to do it, they're not fun but they're doable in Fusion.

I'm not really in a rush at all, so time is not an issue, this is just a love project for me since it's been my dream since childhood. BTW I'm thinking I do actually want to cosplay in this at some convention down the line since I am actually 2 meters tall (and pretty much made of spaghetti). :D

I'm thinking I will try to **** around as little as possible with the models, but I have figured out plane cuts at least now, and yes Fusion is awful for that lol.

Next up is scaling the helmet and printing it out. Wish me luck guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20200729_122554__02.jpg
    IMG_20200729_122554__02.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 263
Eh, I'm a foam junky, but like seeing the magic of a plastic spaghetti turning into badassery, I'll watch this build I suppose, nothing else to do.

Eh, I'm a foam junky, but like seeing the magic of a plastic spaghetti turning into badassery, I'll watch this build I suppose, nothing else to do.
Im printing the helmet right now. Gonna take a couple of days unfortunately. Im also looking for tips on how to do a good underarmor and boots. My current thinking is going for compression tights and shirt. And a couple of MC boots or something similiar.

Looking good so far, excited to see the helmet come together. I have a Prusa i3 printer as well but have the older Mark 2 model. Looking to get an upgrade kit once parts come back in stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back