First build: Noob war machine WIP - Chest added p2! (help welcome)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EyeofSauron

hi, i started pepping shortly ago after lurking here for a while :)
as i am a huge iron man and especially war machine fan, i decided to start with that (even tho its probably not the easiest build ;) ) i think it turned out pretty well.

still, i failed horribly, i mismeasured my head, so its way to small, i need to figure out how much to scale it to fit. maybe someone can help me (i measured my head, but obviously i failed :) )

its not finished, its missing the eyes and chin part but i probably wont finish it because its too small :(

imag0052c.jpg

imag0053f.jpg

here are the (bad) pics of my head besides the helmet
im allways a little bit in front of it, so its not totally acurate, but still i hope someone can help :)

imag0060u.jpg

imag0061y.jpg

Mine came out too big. It fits my head ok (maybe a little large), but I cant turn my head with the chest piece on because of the shoulders have the raised part on them. Looks good man. Too bad it is too small. This is not an easy pep.

seems you reached the same problem i reached when i pepped the war machine helmet. I went with 300mm height cuz that's usually what i have on my helmets but i didnt notice until pepping it that theres like 1 cm for that top area height wise its ok but depth and width it came out really bad. so i have to scale my helmet height to 310-320 mm. to fix it all. My suggestion is measure from the top part of your head to the under part of your chin. mine is about 27- 27.5 cm. Then add 5-7 cm to that height to account for the padding and the top part of that helmet .

i worked only 2 days on it so its not so bad that its too small
maybe ill make it a present for my nephew, if i decide to finish it :)or maybe someone wants to switch with me because i seem to have an exeptionally large head :D

1 thing i took from this: start with a size tester first XD
i measured my head first, but, because not knowing how much to put on, i didnt take enough. Also i think i missmeasured. not that easy measuring your head with a ruler :)

size tester would help the depth and width but the height it wont since it doesnt have that separate top attachment the main file has. anyways good luck. i plan to give my failed attempt to a friend. just sad at the waste of time, paper and ink =/

sweet lookin helmet you have there my friend. Ok well a size test would of been good but like you when I tryed out iron man helmet it was to small. I slove the problem pretty easy by adding some paper in the middle. It's a big fopaw to do but i was tired.So i just cut down the middle and added as much as it needed.It turn out well too. Hope that simple answer help's even a little.

ok, im running into problems atm.

i made a size tester (took an iron man low poly helmet size tester cause i couldnt find one for this model specifically) and basicly, i dont get it. with the height i have from my original model, the width and depth are much bigger than my original build. now im more confused about the size than before...

so how much do you think i should put on to the size, my head has roughly 250mm height and about 180 to 200mm width (really cant measure that exactlyin front of a mirror)
depth shouldnt be the problem.

so,figuring the war machine helmet has about 10 mm inlay at the top and adding about 20 mm for for padding, the height should be 280 (roughly), if i am correct.
problem is: with 280 mm height, it comes down to only 175 mm width, and thats probably not enough (i think) but if i scale up much more for height, i think it will look freakishly big (i made the size tester with 290 mm and i t looks huuuuge. altho its width is 209 to the 290 and on that i can put both my hands on my ears it still has a little wiggle room, altho i touch the outer walls with my knuckles that way, and my hands have roughly 20 mm each, so its 209 minus 40 mm, which comes down to 170.)
so you see my dilemma. size tester too big, scaleing of war machine confusing.

based on those measurements, what do you think would be ok to use

also i have another problem. the printer at my parents house seems to not like pepakura. he prints the first page normal, and after that, he wont print lines anymore, but numbers are still there. Not that big of a problem tho, as im leaving to my dorm again tomorrow :)thats where i will print my newly scaled model, of which i am not sure which measurements to use :/

short update:
i restarted on the helmet, as it was way to small.
first one was scaled with 0.9000something
second one was scaled with 1.02000something

and its still too small :(
i can get it on, but barely. and im pushing out the sides and the top when wearing it. considering that there has to be space for fiberglassing and electronics, its just way too small

the next try will be with 1.10
8 % more should be about right to fit comfortably with padding and leave a little space for electronics.

here are some pics:
imag0064kk.jpg

imag0066de.jpg

imag0068ww.jpg

wish me luck on the next one :)

hmmm that should of come out right, if your useing the size tester..Well like v'e said you can allways add to the helmet buy cuting it and add more paper. But thats only if you dont want to redo the helmet
^_^ good luck on the next one. Im sure you will get the hang of it really fast.

helmet nr 3: 1.1 scale

imag0071ha.jpg

imag0073v.jpg

im not sure, but it seems a little bit too big.
what do you think?

/edit: look at the difference between 1.02 and 1.1 and compare it to the previous compare pics:
imag0075g.jpg

ok update:

biggest part, namely the chest is finished, more or less, its only missing the back parts that are extra but meh.

it looks a little bit warped on the pic but really isnt, its just sitting on a chair and, well, its sitting on a chair :D
also put the helmet on for size comparison, looks about right, but i will figure this out as soon as i build my dummy.
havent tried it on yet, because i need to cut in the hole for my head, which im not sure where to do. over all, ,the size seems about right tho

imag0116x.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back