First build, ODST 3d print

Saiyanberg

Hey! I used to be a part of the community years ago but made a new account.

I recently started my first build after getting familiar with my new ender 3 v2. I found quite a few files online for my armor, and even scaled some in armorsmith.

After spending a week printing my ODST helmet in overture pla+, I realized the helmet seemed pretty big. I was sure I measured the circumference of my head pretty well and tried my best to get the helmet as close as possible to my model's head within reason.

I know ODST helmets are kind of big ingame, but my helmet has quite a bit of wiggle room and will need a bit of padding. Is that normal? Like will it look even once I wear the rest of the armor? Would suck if I just wasted a week and $20 of filament.

Also if anybody has any suggestions for epoxy's or more efficient ways to smooth/fill gaps on my armor from seams/print lines, i'd love to know! Currently just working with gorilla glue gel and sandpaper/dremmel.

I'll post a picture of me wearing the helmet in a bit.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220109_235521.jpg
    20220109_235521.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20220109_235535.jpg
    20220109_235535.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 20220109_235550.jpg
    20220109_235550.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 68
  • 20211007_191620.jpg
    20211007_191620.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76

Saiyanberg

do you have some pictures from the side? initially a helmet feels bigger than it needs to be. But i find it easier to put some bits and bobs in like fans. gives some more space for that.
I just don't want to end up feeling like a bobblehead after all the padding is put in. A fan would be a good idea though. Maybe it won't be bad with the rest of the armor

Attachments

• 16418873048347727055423749276613.jpg
    16418873048347727055423749276613.jpg
    626.8 KB · Views: 51

S229

Jr Member
For filling in print lines, the way i've found that works best for me is to go over the entire thing with sandpaper and then cover the entire thing in sandable filler primer. if there are any lines left after using the filler primer, sand the spots where you can see the lines and then recoat the filler primer. its a long process, but its pretty cheap and you'll get fantastic results.

Rock Lobbster

Stream Team
Member DIN
S098
Helmet looks pretty well scaled to be honest! I'd wait to reprint anything until you have a chestpiece or something to compare the sizing to. Scale with costume and without can be quite the difference! As for sanding you just gotta keep going with that sandpaper slowly working your way up along with applying bondo spot putty or a similar filler. Good luck Helljumper!

Saiyanberg

For filling in print lines, the way i've found that works best for me is to go over the entire thing with sandpaper and then cover the entire thing in sandable filler primer. if there are any lines left after using the filler primer, sand the spots where you can see the lines and then recoat the filler primer. its a long process, but its pretty cheap and you'll get fantastic results.
Thanks! I saw a few tutorials online mentioning that, but I wasn't sure how common it was. It'll probably be the best approach. Then I could go at it with some spot putty if needed like lobbster was saying.

I appreciate the reassurance from you guys! Got a little worried after I started gluing together my helmet after a week of printing hahaha

Saiyanberg

Flat, slightly curved, or anything with a convex surface. For details, sandpaper and/or needle files are better for the job.
Needle files! I was always curious what those small precise files were called. I seriously appreciate all the help from you guys, this forum rocks. I'll be sure to post my progress throughout the thread. Does anyone know a good place for 1 way mirror odst visors? The ones on etsy are like $60. Yeeesh

UnrealPaprika

Also if anybody has any suggestions for epoxy's or more efficient ways to smooth/fill gaps on my armor from seams/print lines, i'd love to know! Currently just working with gorilla glue gel and sandpaper/dremmel.
Looking good. I just finished my own 3d printed helmet. For smoothing the 3d printing lines I used a thin coating epoxy. Going forward I think I'll use a product called XTC-3D made specifically for the purpose. For the helmet I used a different brand of thin epoxy I found at the hardware store. I also used some bondo to smooth things out and correct for slight issues with the fitment of the 3d printed parts.

Saiyanberg

Been super busy with life and work, moving into a new apartment so hopefully I'll have more time to work on my armor afterwards. Here's a small update on where i'm at! Almost ready to paint.
I've also been running into some issues with my 3d printer. Installed some upgrades and got a new filament but it's a bit off. Tbd

Attachments

• 20220302_133714.jpg
    20220302_133714.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
This thread is more than 3 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons: