First build progress ~ Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.

kari103

Hey guys!

My names Kari, and over the last two weeks I've been working on my first armour! (And cosplay , in fact!)

I'm a long term halo fan and always wanted to do something like this, and so I've started working on my old halo 3 armour, full scout!

I've read a lot of tutorials and watched a lot too, but I learn best by diving on in, so here are my first pieces! Just Pepakura so far, looking at resin next payday!

Helm , shoulders, hand guards, and left forearm and bicep are good to go!

20210926_191436.jpg

General Update ~

Spent the last week pep'ing the Chest piece. Kinda terrifying, being that its by far the most owrk, and I could only tell it was gonna fit towards the end! Happy with it though, though I'm worried that some of the details will need popping into place postresin - prefibreglassing. Nothing I can't handle!
I find as I'm going through and learning more about the process, I kinda wanna go back and do the older pep's better. I'm not gonna do that untill the whole set is complete, but does anyone else find that happens?

Everything above the waist is doen (but the scout chest), and so I'm looking at legs next. Probs gonna start with the lower legs and then thighs :> I feel like boots is a later stage when I know what shoes I'll have underneath!

~Kari

Attachments

• Helm-Body.png
    Helm-Body.png
    9 MB · Views: 159
  • Cosplay Armour Ref.png
    Cosplay Armour Ref.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 157
I find as I'm going through and learning more about the process, I kinda wanna go back and do the older pep's better. I'm not gonna do that untill the whole set is complete, but does anyone else find that happens?

Very much so........its like the first few pieces were just practice.....the more you do, the better you get at it...so yes, i believe that as you go along, you build up more skills and your technique gets better so your later pieces always looks better than your former pieces. If you feel that the quality of the finished product will suffer, then I say "Hell yes, go back and do that sucker again". But if it's something minor, don't worry about it. Things like that can be corrected during bondo and sanding.

As for your shoes/boots......make sure that they are a pair that you can wear for several hours at a time. My first pair were holiday dress shoes......super comfortable and best of all.....I was able to scuff the exterior and my adhesive stuck much better. I will tell you that the shoes were man-made....pleather, which some people say make your feet sweat........so if you can't stand the smell of your stinky feet.......:eek:

You could always use some body filler and sand it smooth to help remove the join lines, but it does look awesome, great work.

View attachment 310699

Did a quick paintjob. Lots learned - mostly about where to cut models to hide seams in the future, but happy for a first prop! Gonna work a bit more on hiding those lines later!
This turned out great and you got it done so fast!

My general tip for hiding seam lines is less about where you slice the model (though I'd suggest keeping it out of hard to sand places) and more about time spent sanding/ filler primer-ing / and spot putty-ing.

Layout01.jpg

Work work work. Not really got much to say - 3d printed the lower half, Scaling is a bit off on the thigh now its fully assembled - It's tight around the knee and I think maybe an inch or so extra width all around would go a LONG way. Cant do any fibreglassing till the spring, so that all goes on hold, But am gonna do a rough pep for the cod-belt section to scale it before going in on the 3d print this time!

after that, assembly, smoothing, painting, and thinking about under layers!

For a first time build, you're showing some great prowess with your tools! Eager to see more pictures as time progresses, but always a fan of Halo 3 builds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back