First Build. The Nightmares and the Dreams

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day all,

So I figured I might as well document my process somewhere that is more accessible and not as easy to loose. This thread will document how I made my first Mark VI helmet for RTXAU and how I will continue to make the remainder of my armour for future Cons.

Welcome to my mind, let the beginning of the end commence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, where to begin?
Back in 2012 I started to take interest in Halo costumes and weapons. Like all other recruits here I started to research and my first stop was youtube. There I found the endless mix of videos that confused me but I found a channel that took my interest. Andrew DFT (previously known as DaFrontlineTrooper).
IMG_0913.jpg
He was posting videos of how he made his spectacular UNSC and Covenant weaponry replicas. That lead me to his Facebook page and from there I stockpiled his free blueprints so I had something to start from when I got the itch for building. In 2013 I was still just stockpiling reference images from google and facebook. By the later half of that year I picked up a pencil and a notebook and started drawing some designs and noting my thoughts. I contemplated which armour I liked most and which was something I thought I could conceivably build.
DSC_0006.JPG
From there I just started to scribble down the pieces I wanted to build so that I could figure out their ins and outs.
DSC_0017.JPG
It was helpful for a while and was quite a nice idea but by mid to late 2014 I stopped drawing those designs. There was no reason, just put the pencil down. At the start of 2015 I found my way to one of the frequented prop replication forums available, The RPF, through the suggestion of the great Adam Savage. From there I found my way here. Few months in to the year I discovered the famous Pepakura designer program and then, the game was on.
(If your new to this site go and find it. A quick google search will bring it up. Mac users, you will have to google some methods of making it work on your OS. Google search 'Pepakura Mac Wineskin' if your lucky then there should still be a video by Brock Solid still viewable)
I started googling where to find the files for the armours and weapons. Most of which I found on free Halo wiki site but the rest I had to search further for. That brought me back here and I became a member to use those files and bookmark threads that I find helpful. Six months later I was scaling all the files I had and started to build them for a size reference. The whole time I was adamant that I would be building the final armour in foam. End of that year I got cracking on building my first helmet. From now on the posts will document my build process. Just wanted to get everyone up to speed with how I started.

IMG_0913.jpg

DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Origin story, I like it! Sounds like you know what you're getting into. Welcome to the loony bin!!! Haha. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

A very familiar origins story to a lot of us, I'm sure. Welcome to the community, and good luck building!

It's like I wrote it myself.

Good luck, I look forward to following your progress.

"I'm just a witness"

Good to hear that this thread is being seen by the many.

Okay so Part Two of this nightmarish first build. In that six month period of scaling I was doing it all blind. All the information I had found sounded really strange and didn't seem to apply well to me. The most in-depth scaling process came from fellow member HaloGoddess. Her weebly webpage documents how to scale armour. To a point it is useful but once you start mucking around with paper mockups like I did, her words loose some traction (For any new member reading this, go check her page out, here is the link http://halogoddess.weebly.com/scale-your-armor-in-pepakura.html trust me you will need it to start).

When considering doing my first suit for a Con I had came to the worst realisation about 3 months out. I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME. So what did I do, what would anyone do? I picked the most iconic element of the Mark VI armour, the helmet, and got cracking. By this point I had bought the eva foam tiles I would need and put them in temporary storage behind my bedroom door. They stayed there for about 5 months while I was dealing with university assignments and general tomfoolery. In my last few weeks of the first year of my course I was googling like a lunatic on how to scale the helmet and in desperation I eventually found something on youtube. I forget the video name now and wouldn't know the link even if I was shown it but what I found was a measurement that can by applied to everyones first tests. Start with the height of the helmet at 30 centimetres. I did and the first mock up seemed right by me, I did some other scales but none seems right at the time. Next post I will show how that idea went

IMG_0359.JPG

From there the build was just waiting to begin. In previous months I had found a 405th thread about converting Pepakura files to foam templates. Was a little peeved when they all had only half the number of pieces to be cut out and in my crazy mood I replaced what was gone with the pieces that were just off the template's available pages. I understand the need for only having half the pieces, the thread stated that you were to flip the pieces over for the mirrored side. Side note, I tried using permanent markers on paper and foam at the same time. The edge of the paper pretty much became mush by the end so that influenced my previous point of madness. At about the beginning of December I started cutting all the templates out and then proceeded with the foam. By December 21st I had every piece laid out on my bed.

IMG_0667.JPG
Christmas Eve I started the gluing knowing it would take a few days to accomplish the stage.

IMG_0690.JPGIMG_0692.JPG
By the end of 2015, it was done. I had a helmet that just needed to sanded down and sealed. In that time I found out the meaning of pain and cosplay. Cuts from Stanley knives and blisters from the glue.

IMG_0709.JPG

OOOOUUUUCCCHHHH!!!

Around the middle of January 2016 I started to listen to my Dad too much. He suggested I coat the helmet in resin. I had previously painted it with 2 or 3 coats of PVA glue. I was given an odd suggestion by one member, Danielle JINX said she had used house paint on her armour. To paint the armour that is not a bad idea because its abundant at your local hardware store (for me that is Bunnings). I continued with my idea until Dad came up with his little idea. I'll add that to the next post where I will show how the helmet turned out. (Apologies that the photos are sideways, they uploaded this way no matter what I did to them)
IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0667.JPG

IMG_0690.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

IMG_0697.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

I know what you mean when it comes to burns! I've got a big one on my middle finger!!!!

I started out with Andrew DFT as well back in mid 2015.
I was so inspired i tried to build my own ODST costume (which did not turn out as good as I hoped):facepalm

This looks really cool and I cant wait to see more!!!!

Burns, tell me about it:mad: For scaling your armor there are two methods that I use, both of which work perfectly. #1 use Robogenesis' files for Master Chief. All you have to do with his files is enter your height in the scale. The other method is to take a measuring tape and measure yourself. Then go to edit mode on the 2d menu and measure the height of the piece. Hope this helps;)

Burns, tell me about it:mad: For scaling your armor there are two methods that I use, both of which work perfectly. #1 use Robogenesis' files for Master Chief. All you have to do with his files is enter your height in the scale. The other method is to take a measuring tape and measure yourself. Then go to edit mode on the 2d menu and measure the height of the piece. Hope this helps;)

I have Robogenesis' pep files and I find them very useful for finding scale but I almost solely scale by measuring myself. Allows me to screw up and then refine my measurements with multiple prints of his files. Haven't run into any issues with his models, they are my favourite place to start from.

Tip for new recruits reading this thread. Go get Robogenesis' files from the archive and get a few of the higher detail ones for later. Robo's files are far simpler and the lack of detail is fine when your just trying to find your measurements (plus that lack in detail saves on paper and on ink).

Now, to talk about resin.

As a material without fibre glass sheets, it is a useful material for paper builds. On foam however it is not. Mature members know well that resin adds weight to the armour, an over sight my Dad refused to listen to. So I painted the helmet in about 4 layers. Oh and here is a fun fact, if you want detail to show you will be sanding for days because the more layers the thicker the surface and the more it fills in spaces. Lets look at the lower part of the helmet for this. You will notice in the game, right at the base of the visor in the front is what looks like steps down to the rest of the helmet. When you use resin, what ever you carved and glued together will not have the precise angles you once had before. The resin will fill that space in with subsequent layers and in turn loose the detail.
IMG_0752.jpg

So note for beginners: NEVER USE RESIN ON FOAM.

Experienced members will disagree with me here only because they have experimented and know how to use it properly. I didn't have the time and so I won't be doing back to it.
IMG_0755.jpgIMG_0757.jpg
As you can see in this pic the surface is not at all smooth. Which means you and sand paper will become quite acquainted by the end of the day. This was part of the process I hated the most and it is only because Plastidip is so bloody hard to find in Australia. I don't understand why its not available in hardware stores. Its one of the 'bread and butter' materials used by foam builders and yet we Australians do not have direct access to it. I could buy it online but that is a nightmare of its own, shipping here is...Ugh...lets not get into that discussion. Quite welcome for suggestions by my fellow Australian member to suggest alternatives to Plastidip for sealing, but for now I will be returning to PVA for the full armour.
As I was say sanding. That was not something I had the time for which is why I didn't want to use resin in the first place. RTXAU was about 2 weeks away by this point and I was not in the mood for rigorous sanding for a week straight.
IMG_0761.jpg
With a week to go I still hadn't painted the helmet and by this point I had decided to paint it in the colours of my favourite Red vs Blue character.

Yep, I think Church is the best (couldn't help but make that joke).
During this time I was also freaking out about the visor, how could I get a gold or orange coloured visor? Again I was back to asking Danielle for inspiration. I did find something from what she told me useful. I looked into a silver spray paint used for making glass a mirror but I didn't use it (this product was used on the Better Homes and Gardens tv show). Was not sure if it would still allow for me to see out. From what I saw it was not likely that I would be able to see through the visor at all. So that is why I avoided it for my visor. I did find a video I had once stubbled upon for how to make custom visors. I watched but was most interested in the segment where the guy in the vid started to talk about tinting the visor and then faintly airbrushing chrome paint on the inside of his visor. In truth it was a very smart idea and certainly worth attempting if you have access to a vacuform (either handmade or professional).
Here is the link if you'd like to learn a thing or two from him:
was almost tempted to try what he said but I didn't have the time, was down to the last week so time was far escaping me. With such limited time I had to make do with whatever I could find at my local hardware store (Bunnings) and that resulted in a platinum coloured window tinting film.
IMG_0808.jpg
For the weekend it worked perfectly. Nothing could be seen through from the outside but I had perfect vision from the inside (if it weren't for the fact that my helmet was like an empty water melon skin floating around my head. I'm not joking it was huge and wasn't conforming to my movements). To alleviate an issue everyone will point out in the photo, the visor wrinkled after the con. I have not fixed it because I don't need to. I wont be using that helmet again so it can stay in that state. If your going to use a window tinting film you should continue to smooth out the water needed to apply it for at least 20 minutes to an hour. That should stop most wrinkles from appearing.

Thats it for this update. Peace out and build what your dream

IMG_0752.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Day of the Con.

The morning of RTXAU I work early and went outside to the shed to check on how my last coat of paint had dried overnight. When I looked at the helmet, something seemed a little wrong. Not because of how the paint dried, but where I forgot to stop it from spraying. The front of the lower jaw piece was speckled with blue dots and likewise areas of the rest of the helmet were the reverse. My fault so I did a quick re application to cover some of the spots...Didn't go so well.

I was really rushed so the paint never got the chance to be even near touch-dry before I had to leave. Cons are fun even when your costume is crap like mine was. I had the intention of doing a Spartan on shore leave. Took inspiration from a photo from so other con, don't know the people in the photo but they were the inspiration for my costume. With mine I decided to add subtle references to the game and Red vs Blue. No one saw what I painted onto the shirt (don't care really the shirt will be salvaged for a different project in a few years). I made the obvious notation to reference the UNSC logo front on, but a very hard detail to see was the logo on my back. I hid the RvB Alpha A.I. insignia between my shoulder blades in a colour that nearly matched the shirt, it was a well hidden I might add. Since the costume was not something I was happy with I decided to not wear it again.

While there I met Matt Hullum, one of the cofounders of Rooster Teeth. He gave me some advice for my helmet. I pointed out the black smudges on the top of the helmet and he just gave me one thought to ponder on. Battle Damage. For the next helmet, and suit for that matter, I will do so.
For any newcomer to this, battle damage is a really good slight of hand to compensate for something you did by accident. Bad painting call it explosive charring. Denting, bullet refractions/holes. Etc. If you ever make a small cosmetic mistake don't think its the worst thing in the world, you can use it to your advantage.

(Sorry to those who think this is seems like a blog. I write my thoughts and this is how they end up being typed)

Great story and inspiring for someone who's just starting their first build. Keep up the good work!

And now to the full build.

Post RTXAU I have been going ape with piecing together my suit. At RTX I introduced myself to the people at the 405th booth and made friends with a couple of them. Good to have someone you can connect with directly when you have a few questions. Okay so my first task was to build from the ground up, which started out literally. I started building the boots. Technically I started scaling the boots before I made the helmet so all I had to do was just buy more foam and start cutting.

These photos were my attempt to scale the boot. I believe I only did this once because of what I was told about scaling.

Tip for recruits: whatever shoes you intend to wear under your boots, you should measure the length of the sole and apply that to the pepakura model.
IMG_0625.jpgIMG_0628.jpg
Second tip: your going to need to use the 'measure between points' tool in pepakura designer. The place you want to measure from is the base of the lip under the toe piece to the heel. That will result in a perfect scale to match your shoes.

IMG_0832.jpg
Here is a rather bad photo of what I built. My feet are where they are because I had not glued some elastic to the back of the boot.

IMG_0850.jpg
Question for mature members. How do you fill in gaps like these? I have been told to use caulk but I haven't been game to try it just yet. I wish to complete the full suit before I add the final touches.

Peace out and build all that you Dream

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0850.jpg

Okay, been a couple of weeks, I have got to make this a more regular thing for me. Anyway.

So last time was boots this time I have jumped up the suit a bit. One of the 405th members I met at RTX suggested making the suit sections in tandem. I understood what he meant by it, building two pieces that will counter or interact with each other and working out issues between them. Like the shins and thighs or forearms and biceps. I decided to build from the centre out, I was going to build up from the ground but this makes far more sense. The most recent and slow endeavours have been the chest and codpiece.

This seems a little contradictory when both pieces don't come in contact each other but they are the most important when it comes to comfort. JayLuvLL has expressed in his imgur 'Cosplay Tips' files that you have to plan ahead for problems. Which is why I wanted to combat the torso.

I think this is no better a time to detail why one’s comfort is extremely important for cons. If you've watched some videos on youtube or scrolled over a cosplay facebook page, you will occasionally notice a costume that involve large sections or maybe a really large costume that requires the wearer to be secured into it. If anyone has looked up Hunter or Elite costumes you will see that anyone who went life scale is encased inside the costume. Over heating is a potential problem and exhaustion is also possible when you have to move such a large suit around. There are more factors to keep in mind but those two are the ones that will cause serious problems if not considered. I would recommend reading/saving/downloading all of Jayluvll's imgur tutorial, there are tips in each that will be useful no matter what type of suit, material or armour variant that you pick. http://jayluvll.imgur.com/

I guess from this point I will start to document my progress on the chest piece. Ive been mucking around with scaling the damn thing for about 9 months with limited success until a few weeks ago. I asked my RTX 405th friends and I was told to measure shoulder width. Looking at any picture, poster or screen shot of any armour variant its hard to miss that the armour does not reach the characters shoulders. With Master Chief's Mk VI armour the outer most point of the shoulders is just short of his real shoulders. So I did that, I used the trusty ruler and measures across my collar to find the optimal starting point. After that its just a bit of testing with the Low Detail files from Robogenesis.
Its hit and miss but that is the most precise way to find the measurements (I would also recommend writing down the most correct measurement you find and saving it for later. If you go onto a different armour later it will be a gem to kick start that build). This was the results of my new measurements and it was a perfect fit. Ignore the cardboard connecting the shoulders. I needed those just to avoid creasing it and tearing it.
IMG_0883.jpg
About a week after that I bought a new set of foam tiles and transferred the High Detail templates I printed. Its been a month and its only because of the Easter 4 day weekend here in Australia I was able to crack through the majority of the glueing process.
IMG_0915.jpg
Oh and one tip for anyone. Don't glue thing together over your legs. I finally managed to get a blister just above my knee,
OoooooWwwww!
IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_0883.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Okay So its been a week and I have made progress. Since I started this thread I have been working on the chest piece and its very near completion. I am not happy with the back at the moment but I will be working on it slowly. Craft foam is a big help but I am a novice so I would love some tips from my fellow spartans. I know I have screwed a few things up so please give me a few of your opinions and I can then fix what I have done
IMG_1086.jpgIMG_1085.jpgIMG_1084.jpg
I have enjoyed building this, the end is within sight but I have miles to go still.

Peace out Spartans. Build all that you Dream

IMG_1086.jpg

IMG_1085.jpg

IMG_1084.jpg

That chest piece is looking great! One thing that could be improved is the hot glue ozing out the sides of the beveled cuts. This can be fixexed by looking at the following pics
IMG_4959.JPGIMG_4960.JPGIMG_4961.JPGIMG_4962.JPGIMG_4964.JPGIMG_4965.JPG
Sorry its a little hard to understand but it works trust me
Good job and keep it up

That chest piece is looking great! One thing that could be improved is the hot glue ozing out the sides of the beveled cuts. This can be fixexed by looking at the following pics
View attachment 25957View attachment 25958View attachment 25959View attachment 25960View attachment 25961View attachment 25962
Sorry its a little hard to understand but it works trust me
Good job and keep it up

I'll keep it in mind as I progress onwards. I was told by a local 405th member to glue as close to the inner edge as possible so that oozing flows into the armour and not to the outside. I will be making sure I do so as I make the rest of the suit.

Question for everyone, has anyone used resin to coat the inside of their foam armour? I thought of it the other day as a structural addition. Not repeating what I did on the helmet, lost to much detail painting it externally.

As I am still new to the 405th, I have a question about 4shared. What is the best way to download from it without an account. I'm not associating facebook or twitter to it. Instagram is certainly not touching it. So is there any spam emails that will be sent from the site and how often do they appear.

Anyway, files sources aren't my concern right now. I have made some paper roughs of two different sized helmets and I am not sure which is best to use. I have both 250mm and 260mm heights, not much difference in words, but in a mirror its quit significant when the chest piece is worn with it. I think I will leave that till I am near the end, the helmet is the piece I wish to return to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back