First ever build- MK6 Space Marine build

Status
Not open for further replies.

TK637

Hi all,
I've been a long long time lurker just marvelled by everyone's creations and now I've finally decided its time to make my first ever build. I've decided to start with a Warhammer 40k MK6 Space wolves helmet. I've started today and so far gotten not very far at all besides one ear piece as I'm still getting to grips with glueing the parts together and so its going very very slow. I'd very much appreciate any tips and advice anyone has and obviously any creative criticism would be great!!

I will post some photos tomorrow of it tomorrow once I have got something a little more to show :)

Well I've decided thats enough for tonight!! After spending 5 hours on the train today I'm very tired so I don't wanna screw it up but heres what I've done anyway! This is the left ear piece for the helmet. Although I am starting to think I need a different glue! 14075004_1282017708477943_686056808_o.jpg14075004_1282017708477943_686056808_o.jpg

I've managed to get a little bit more done today and its very slowly coming together!! I do now think that I'm using the wrong type of glue and so I intend to get some different stuff tomorrow, is there anything else anyone would suggest getting to help? I'm hoping tomorrow that I will be able to start the other ear piece now I've finished this one. It has a few gaps but I'm sure those can be filled when it comes to the hardening stage!!

14087359_1282874221725625_2083172149_o.jpg

If you find that you are getting a lot of gaps, it could be 1 of 2 reasons. 1) Your folds aren't straight or 2) Your cuts aren't straight. Either will produce gaps and yes you can fill it in later so it's not a major issue. A lot of people use Crazy Glue for this or even Aleen's Tacky Glue. I'm partial to Duco-Cement. It's a matter of preference really. What you feel comfortable using. One is not better than any other. There is no "END ALL -BE ALL GLUE". Also if I may make a suggestion, Start at the crown of the helmet and work your way down. If you start at the bottom (or middle in your case) when you get to the upper areas it is going to be difficult to get your fingers in to hold pieces together to glue them at the same time.

I could be wrong but judging from the cutting board underneath the ear piece, it's rather small in size. I have friend who has a space marine costume and from what I remember the 'ear pieces' were much larger. Granted he used foam and has alot of padding inside the helmet but it makes me wonder if your scale is correct. You might want to double check the dimensions of the file you printed before moving on too far. It has pretty devistating effect on motivation to find your first helmet can't even fit your head. That being said there are ways of 'extending' were it too small.

If you find that you are getting a lot of gaps, it could be 1 of 2 reasons. 1) Your folds aren't straight or 2) Your cuts aren't straight. Either will produce gaps and yes you can fill it in later so it's not a major issue. A lot of people use Crazy Glue for this or even Aleen's Tacky Glue. I'm partial to Duco-Cement. It's a matter of preference really. What you feel comfortable using. One is not better than any other. There is no "END ALL -BE ALL GLUE". Also if I may make a suggestion, Start at the crown of the helmet and work your way down. If you start at the bottom (or middle in your case) when you get to the upper areas it is going to be difficult to get your fingers in to hold pieces together to glue them at the same time.

Thanks for the heads up!! I shall get some crazy glue as pva just takes way too long to set and so I'm sat holding it for ages! Ahhh ok, I wasn't sure where I was supposed to start so I shall start from the crown tomorrow and work down before I move on! Thanks for the help :)

I could be wrong but judging from the cutting board underneath the ear piece, it's rather small in size. I have friend who has a space marine costume and from what I remember the 'ear pieces' were much larger. Granted he used foam and has alot of padding inside the helmet but it makes me wonder if your scale is correct. You might want to double check the dimensions of the file you printed before moving on too far. It has pretty devistating effect on motivation to find your first helmet can't even fit your head. That being said there are ways of 'extending' were it too small.

Yeah this is going to be a much scaled down one, I'm using Samurays pep files which people seem to like and somebody made a scaling guide for it. You are very right though, a proper space marine helm would be much bigger overall but with the size of my head (Very small) it'd be like a pea in a fish bowl!! I'm hoping its been scaled correctly for my size but If I do get to the end and its much too small then I simply won't go onto the hardening stages and scale it much bigger!! Thanks for the heads up though, it is making me question whether I have scaled correctly so it might be I start again halfway through!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back