First foam weapon build M6G

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1ondeange1

Member DIN
S555
So after seeing the success my hubby had making my knife in sheath for my Reach armour out of foam, I thought I would have a go at making my first gun prop, a M6G. Used a sliced pep file, but the way it had been done I had to put a lot of pieces together to come up with the silhouette to cut out. With the exception of two pieces of dowel and a couple of screws that will be added after sealing, it is all made from foam. Two layers of floor mat foam hot glued together, sanded and shaped with three different thicknesses (2mm, 3mm and 6mm) of craft foam for detailing :)

At this stage it is ready for sealing then painting :) after sealing the remaining grip detail will be added. It isn't 100% accurate but I am pretty pleased with it!

Here it is :)

temporary_zpsdtc2o45f.jpg

temporary_zpsvakolexq.jpg

temporary_zpskfosjfhv.jpg

Attachments

• temporary_zpsdtc2o45f.jpg
    temporary_zpsdtc2o45f.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 201
  • temporary_zpsvakolexq.jpg
    temporary_zpsvakolexq.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 181
  • temporary_zpskfosjfhv.jpg
    temporary_zpskfosjfhv.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 208
I thought I should post up the progress photos too. It just amazes me how two cut outs of foam can end up looking so different :D

temporary_zpslvgvpefp.jpg

Next time I will use my brain and sand the patterning off the flat mat BEFORE cutting out and gluing together!

temporary_zpskprwjdbt.jpg

temporary_zpscy6edi9s.jpg

temporary_zpsfr8jvgxm.jpg

temporary_zpszqsu94ui.jpg

temporary_zpsxxxpfdpk.jpg

before grip detail
temporary_zpsdryhzo08.jpg

Some people have asked about how I did the grip, drew the cross hatching on with pen first so I knew where I wanted it, then I heated a snap and cut knife blade and pressed the back of that into the foam to imprint it a bit. I heated it using a candle as the blow torch made it too hot/ too hard to control exactly how much heat got put in, whereas the candle could only heat it enough to just melt and indent the top bit. This was more reliable and consistent than attempting to do the detailing with a hot knife/ wood burning tool and gave nice straight even lines :)

temporary_zpse2zebdx6.jpg

Attachments

• temporary_zpsfr8jvgxm.jpg
    temporary_zpsfr8jvgxm.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 184
  • temporary_zpszqsu94ui.jpg
    temporary_zpszqsu94ui.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 213
  • temporary_zpsxxxpfdpk.jpg
    temporary_zpsxxxpfdpk.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 224
  • temporary_zpscy6edi9s.jpg
    temporary_zpscy6edi9s.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 186
  • temporary_zpskprwjdbt.jpg
    temporary_zpskprwjdbt.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 131
  • temporary_zpslvgvpefp.jpg
    temporary_zpslvgvpefp.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 194
  • temporary_zpse2zebdx6.jpg
    temporary_zpse2zebdx6.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 193
  • temporary_zpsdryhzo08.jpg
    temporary_zpsdryhzo08.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 203
That looks great! Love the details and it's a very clean build! Excellent work.

That's really really good stuff there, to me it's always the little details that can make a prop stand out. Look forward to see some more progress on this.

Some update photos:

Resined, sanded and grip detail added- magnetic rubber strip (like your cheap fridge magnets) cut and shaped with actual screws, all glued into place.

temporary_zpslpmcuzfs.jpg

Becoz my hubby is awesomes he airbrushed my gun for me while I weathered my armour* :D detailing to come!

temporary_zpsugkkafgu.jpg

Attachments

• temporary_zpsugkkafgu.jpg
    temporary_zpsugkkafgu.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 208
  • temporary_zpslpmcuzfs.jpg
    temporary_zpslpmcuzfs.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 186
Awesome job! Foam is a fantastic medium for making weapons, and I love seeing builds like this one.

My thigh piece with the undersuiting detail ive incorporated in to be the pistol hardpoint

temporary_zpsuqc3emot.jpg

With the pistol attached- it was on a retractable string attached to my belt so I couldn't accidentally lose it (and yes, my high tech way of attaching it with a hair elastic :p it was all I had last minute lol!)
temporary_zpsqj7vt7x3.jpg

Attachments

• temporary_zpsuqc3emot.jpg
    temporary_zpsuqc3emot.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 286
  • temporary_zpsqj7vt7x3.jpg
    temporary_zpsqj7vt7x3.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 196
Turned out really nice - I really like the hand grip. I'll have to do something similar with my props, except heat a full wire mesh grid instead of a single blade so the whole pattern imprints at once (more uniform that way). MacGyver would be proud of the hair elastic. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back