first go trial and error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, this is my first post or the second i think. Im a student at an art college taking a prop building class, and my teacher made use build boxes for 12 hours and positive that she can not help me.

I've started work on an ODST helmet and I used pepakura, works brilliant, but most of the fine details are unseen, I had to use some clay to build up some of the bits. I was afraid that cardstock was to thin and that it would get wet and fall apart when I fiber glass(ed) and bondo(ed) how ever i used plaster strips and some sort of card board that i think you could use to make puzzles with, the result was it was strong and ridged but i ended up with some extra pieces, don't get me wrong it looks good for a first go.

so anyways what do you do for the process after pepakura, do you slap on the fiber glass and bondo? Because i don't know if it'll hold.

And HOW do you get that fine crevasse detail?

hello and welcome.
with the standard talk "read the stickies" your problem basically should be gone but... since I'm a nice guy ;D

After pepping my helmet I first added 3 layers of resin to the paper. This was more like: 1st layer (outside) --> hardening process --> 2nd layer (outside) --> hardening process --> 3rd layer (inside) --> hardening process

This took me 2 days since I had the wrong temperature for the hardening process. Having a place with 20°C or more will speed things up.
After that you may add the first layer of resin + fiberglass to the inside (or rondo if you prefer that). This I also did 3 times, so right now my son can stand on top of the helmet ;)

Hope this helps for the first?

EDIT: oh, and about the detail, you may use putty or plasticine to make it more detail, but thats the step after the fiberglassing

This is what Ive done:

After the peping stage, my next step is to apply a thin layer of resin to the outside and then to either add a layer of resin to the inside, or skip the 2nd coat and begin fiberglassing right there. Ive used both routes, and I tend to favor the inner coat, then fiberglass method because it has a little less warping.
As for the fine detail, once the bondo is applied, carve it out with a dremel tool.

I hope that Iv'e been of help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back