First ODST foam build need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

StereoSolution

Hello,
Ive been a huge halo fan since I could walk and Ive always wanted to create armor from the series. Well with the new outpost event coming up I want to try to attend it with some armor. Ive so far made my ODST helmet from the DFT template but im really wanting to make a suit with more detail than that one. Ive been looking around on forums and downloaded the templates PaiganBoi posted on his ODST build but Ive got no clue as to what I need to do for sizing or how I even do sizing im 6'2 and 213lbs. Ive got pepakura downloaded I just dont know how to scale armor pieces to myself. I would really appreciate the help! Thank you!:)

Last edited:
Hello,
Ive been a huge halo fan since I could walk and Ive always wanted to create armor from the series. Well with the new outpost event coming up I want to try to attend it with some armor. Ive so far made my ODST helmet from the DFT template but im really wanting to make a suit with more detail than that one. Ive been looking around on forums and downloaded the templates PaiganBoi posted on his ODST build but Ive got no clue as to what I need to do for sizing or how I even do sizing im 6'2 and 213lbs. Ive got pepakura downloaded I just dont know how to scale armor pieces to myself. I would really appreciate the help! Thank you!:)
Armorsmith Designer is a beast when it comes to making sure your costume fits.

In Armorsmith you can create an avatar that matches your measurements and then using those .pdo files that you've downloaded you can dress it. The files can be scaled in the software and then the patterns can be exported as a .pdf or printed directly.

There are a number of tutorials on here for sizing, I highly recommend reading through them. Pepakura designer 4 shows you to scale in the program, that's how I've always done it, and it works.

For starting in foam I would strongly recommend a sharp box cutter or x-acto knife with a million blades. You need a SHARP knife and a way to sharpen it frequently. A metal starightedge is invaluable as well.

Also it would be foolish to go about this project without looking up a few of evil ted and punished props tutorials on the YouTubes. They're experience and hints are priceless.

Can't wait to see your ODST build, man!

There are a number of tutorials on here for sizing, I highly recommend reading through them. Pepakura designer 4 shows you to scale in the program, that's how I've always done it, and it works.

For starting in foam I would strongly recommend a sharp box cutter or x-acto knife with a million blades. You need a SHARP knife and a way to sharpen it frequently. A metal starightedge is invaluable as well.

Also it would be foolish to go about this project without looking up a few of evil ted and punished props tutorials on the YouTubes. They're experience and hints are priceless.

Can't wait to see your ODST build, man!
I’ll start looking for the scaling tutorials while I check out the armorsmith that TurboCharizard mentioned. Thank you for the information and tips!

Armorsmith, to me at least is the best tool for cosplays I've seen/used.

Anyone can correct me if there's others as I didn't scour Google too long before I picked up the program. It get updates often and has changed quite a bit I've seen, but I haven't tried the new update yet...

Gonna put that into my To-Do list of things to attempt soon.

I’ve been grinding away at armorsmith and I’m loving it but I’ve come across a problem... My chest piece is waaaaay to big I don’t want to scrap it just yet I want to build the rest of it and when it comes time cut the foam and measure it so it fits me just right. Unless anyone else has any better ideas I’ll post pictures tomorrow of what it looks like if I remember and get around to it

Armorsmith, to me at least is the best tool for cosplays I've seen/used.

Anyone can correct me if there's others as I didn't scour Google too long before I picked up the program. It get updates often and has changed quite a bit I've seen, but I haven't tried the new update yet...

Gonna put that into my To-Do list of things to attempt soon.

Thanks for this advice, I'm finally moving to a place where I can start building cosplay and was wondering what the best options were for pep files. hopefully this will help me in the future.

Thanks for this advice, I'm finally moving to a place where I can start building cosplay and was wondering what the best options were for pep files. hopefully this will help me in the future.

Happy to help! I'm much too inexperienced in the ways of foam making to offer any solid advice in that field so I'll give advice on things I'm pretty sure I'm good at lol

Happy to help! I'm much too inexperienced in the ways of foam making to offer any solid advice in that field so I'll give advice on things I'm pretty sure I'm good at lol
That's fair, I will probably do Foam for armor pieces when I start working on it. But the helmets almost need to be pep to look nice from what i've seen.

another vote for armorsmith. Patience is key, take your time, dont give yourself deadlines until youve gained more experience. As above, sharp blades, metal straight edge, lots of plasters.....

Thank you to all who gave me tips on the armor sorry for no updates but I finished two helmets! I started working on the armor itself but got frustrated because I didn’t size myself right in armor smith so my chest piece was way to oversized and sadly gave up on the idea of finishing the armor I’ll post pictures of my finished helmets but after attending Halo Outpost discovery in Anaheim my spark for finishing a full set of armor was reborn!

The first blue helmet was my first attempt I used hot glue and found out it doesn’t work at all for me so the red helmet I used constancy cement and it worked way better. I also used a different exacto knife on the red one and it cut better but it started getting dull

Attachments

• 5110D263-B4E0-4211-B61E-0827B00EFD56.jpeg
    5110D263-B4E0-4211-B61E-0827B00EFD56.jpeg
    685.8 KB · Views: 298
  • 7D343316-7A60-46F7-AED5-AA0BFA93D5FD.jpeg
    7D343316-7A60-46F7-AED5-AA0BFA93D5FD.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 252
  • A8B30B6E-5E31-42AF-8E7A-BFE9288253A8.jpeg
    A8B30B6E-5E31-42AF-8E7A-BFE9288253A8.jpeg
    684.7 KB · Views: 232
Just a tip too, I've found 18mm box cutters work great for long cuts on foam, and 9mm box cutters are good for detail cuts on foam. I'm glad to see you making progress.
Hope you can get started on armor again so we have more hell jumpers
I also scaled my chest piece wrong in armor Smith, but luckly I was able to cut the sides down and slimmed it up so maybe that's a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back