First pep helmet Sorta(using rondo aka mud technique)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattew 147

So here is my progress on a Mark VI helmet(FlyingSquirrel) My dads actually been helping me on this. He has a allot of experience working with bondo and resin on cars. So i hope to learn alot from him.

This first was taken after we resined the outside. I think i was kinda sloppy during the pepping because the top seems to tilt to the left a bit. OH WELL LIFE GOES ON=(

front
5396559363_e970874e10.jpg
[/url] mc front res by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]
picture of the top
5396558515_cc926d8d91.jpg
[/url] mc top res1 by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]
side
5396556357_aedb273768.jpg
[/url] mc res side by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]
back
5396557097_ec8f6deaee.jpg
[/url] mc back res by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]

I did start a carter helmt but as soon as i finished the pep work i figuered out that i scaled the model down to much. We started on the bondo and sanding for practice and I plan to finish it eventually. Not the best work to many small details=P.
5397152438_c1d5441255.jpg
[/url] carter spot side by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]
Ill post the rondo pics in a bit.
Welcoming constructive criticism.

not to bad for your first pepped helms keep it up and you will be up there with the greats within no time man.....

well it works but it is alot harder to sand then plain bondo. and i use the rondo method on most of the inside of my helms.... but yeah man just keep the work up...

Update: I know I said I would post an update the 30th but me and everyone else in my family got terrible allergies that day and then it started to snow a day or 2 later. It was worst freeze Ive ever experienced in taxes=P. We started the Bondo stage today so here`s some more pics. ENJOY!!

5422581643_3ff27d22ac.jpg
[/url] bondo mc front by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]

Left
5423189036_6529a570dc.jpg
[/url] bondo mc left by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]

Right
5422583075_cf0c7ca23f.jpg
[/url] bondo mc right by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]

Back
5422586105_02c0f55516.jpg
[/url] bondo mc back by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]

Zoom
5423183152_e8556c8f48.jpg
[/url] bondo mc zoom 2 by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]

more to come soon!!!
IF we don't get anymore snow>=(

Looking good so far.
Here a little something from my experience with the stuff (having used it and just bondo, I have to say, I love it)
I'm not quite sure how your applying rondo but what I do is mix up a little in a cup and once you get a respirator and some good gloves just pour and smooth it with your fingers (you'll need something to catch the excess, don't want to just pour it on the ground) I've found this wastes very little materials (after you get the hang of it) and can also give you a much smoother final coat. If you decide to try this just remeber you will need a mix of mud on the thicker side so it does not run down the side of the armor.

If you want an example of what happens when you do this, but then lose patience with sanding, have a look at my build.
But if you take some time to work out the areas where your two seperate coats meet it gives an amazing finish.

well we just sloshed the rondo around on the inside. I'm not really concerned on how smooth the inside is because ill be putting a motorcycle liner in it.

I`m a little worried about how the visor is going to fit in it seems like the nose/mouth area goes further into the helmet meaning that if i put a visor in there would be a sizable cap between it and the edge.
5423627247_e6d5087d25.jpg
PICT0239 by Matthew-147, on Flickr
5423629105_0a528b2b54.jpg
[/url] PICT0237 by Matthew-147, on Flickr[/IMG]
5424227650_8d07ab704a.jpg
PICT0240 by Matthew-147, on Flickr
any thoughts?
I know some of the details are crooked due to my less than amateur pep skills, but I plan to fix them fix spot puddy.

P.S What color is the mark VI/Master Chief Helmet Visor?

The visor color is a gold-ish orange.

Here is an example of what it looks like:
master-chief.jpg

And for using the mud I meant your smoothing of the ouside of the helmet and adding detailing, not the inside it really shouldn't have to be smooth for anything :p

Looks pretty good so far, you had the same trouble with warping as I did, I'm guessing you also removed the pepped visor (or never installed it) as I did which is why this happens. . .

Your model (or maybe just your pepping, I don't know) has a bit of a deeper insert than mine does, but still most of it is covered by the fact the visor sits tilted a bit, like this> \
That way when you install it most of the gap is covered by the visor leaning back.

Test fit it and if it doesn't look good, you can dremel out some of the back of it so it looks better. I filled the rest in with hot glue, which I have yet to paint, but this (to my understanding anyway) helps give the illusion of a smooth seal.

Looks good still and best of luck to you.

Ya I had a bit of trouble with the paper visor on a count of it having no numbers or flaps letting me know to attach it. The warping is just an effect of my pepping and I think all is fixable but the tilted brim. Thanks for clearing up the visor problem I completely forgot that motorcycle visors have a tilt to them.

I use Rondo on the outside for shaping EVERYTHING. It's SO much easier to apply and get a good, smooth coat on. I have to do a few layers, but it's totally worth it.

Coincidently, I have that EXACT SAME WARPAGE on my MK6 helmet. It's not that noticeable once you get the visor in.

Thanks hickey. Good to know about the visor. we've just been using plain bondo on the onside but i think rondo may serve well in fixing the deformed mouth/noose guard. Is rondo any harder to sand than plain bondo?

Also there most likely wont be another update till the Saturday. MORE SNOW ON IT`S WAY!!! >=(
This has got to be the worst winter Texas has gotten in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back