First Pep-ing for a Mk IV Helmet, Low Def

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phangos

As the title explains, I have successfully pepped my first ever helmet (after learning on 2 grenades) and would like to see if there is any feedback from the community on sizing, or anything else for that matter. I used a scissor on the exterior of all the pieces, then used an exacto knife to score the fold-lines. I used superglue to hold the pieces together and a toothpick to assist in some folding, as well as to spread the glue around even. It surprised me just how LITTLE glue was necessary!

Where can I find advice about supporting my Pepped helmet prior to Bondoing/Fiberglassing?

Thanks for the inspiration, the support I've already received from the 405th Community, and for the time and commitment to help others with their builds! Most forums I'm part of do NOT have an open and inviting culture like you'll see here. It's simply amazing!

Now the pics:
Before I finished the front. It's beginning to take shape!
P1000992_zpsp93pnmjr.jpg

P1000995_zpspbvc18wq.jpg

P1010002_zpsh1apb5pp.jpg

P1010004_zps0pa1d57f.jpg

Nice pepping on that helmet. Roman numeral 6 is 'VI' but that's okay but people will probably mention it a lot :unsure
Sizing looks pretty on-point too! The first helmet I pepped as *way* too big... For me at least.

Sizing looks good. Nice pepping! My only comment would be that it looks like on a couple of tabs (like in your second picture the tabs in the middle of the frame) it looks like you glued the tab on the outside, where it should be glued on the inside. It's an easy mistake and one that is hard to correct when you're using super glue. It's nothing a little bondo can't fix, but anytime you can keep your bondo work down you will be happy. :)

As for tips before resin/bondo I would recommend Cereal Kill3rs videos. He links to his videos in his first post here. Very comprehensive. He even has a neat tip for the support like you mentioned, using Popsicle sticks and binder clips. Keep us posted!

Nice pepping, it defiantly all looks to scale and really neat, my first pep build I did was an air assult and it truned out alright, but yours realy looks on point

My only comment would be that it looks like on a couple of tabs (like in your second picture the tabs in the middle of the frame) it looks like you glued the tab on the outside, where it should be glued on the inside.

Yeah, you're correct. I'll be sure to make that a point. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I discovered how much wind takes a pepped helmet, as it flew out of my car at 40MPH. DOH! A few repairs, then I'm back at it. In the mean time, I've begun experimenting with putting Bondo on my Frag Grenades and begun pepping the Mark VI (got it right THIS time!) chest armor.

Hope sizing is good!

Thanks for the comments!

So, after watching and researching I began bondo-ing (FiberGlass Resin) my pepped out grenade. I ended up ruining it, terribly. The paper pushed in where I gripped the grenade to apply the resin, and the problem grew when I started sanding it. It's okay, as these were meant to be a learning experiment, before ruining (attempting) the helmet. In a fit of frustration I crushed the grenade (easy to make, no big deal), but I'll have to be more precise with the helmet.

Let me start by inquiring in what products people use to harden the paper before applying resin. I've seen videos, and read guides, but for some reason, I have only found fiberglass resin. Is there another product that applys more smoothly and has a lower viscosity than the repair. When mixed with hardener, this is almost a paste, where in some of the videos I see, it's more of a gel.

So, what I'm asking for is input from the community in what exactly y'all are using to harden your pepped item, prior to applying fiberglass resin. Also, do you also put the resin on the outside, after you've glassed the inside, or is the gel-type hardener sufficient for most of you?

Thanks,

You have to harden to outside first. The same resin you use for fiberglassing the inside, is what you could put on the outside. There are other ways to do so as well. Wood glue, Modge Podge (Puzzle Craft Glue), Resin, clear furniture sealant, just to name a few. Once the outside is hard, you can then work on the inside to fully strengthen it up w/ the fiberglass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back