First Post, First Armor Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbrittellejr

Hey guys, this is my first post here! Anyways, I'm constructing armor for both myself and my good friend. 'Awesome', you might say, 'you can just make one and mold two!' Only problem? I'm 6'1, and weigh about 185, while my bud is 5'7 on a good hair day, and 150lbs soaking wet. So what's the best method? Is there a way to construct the armor so that it'll look good on both of us, or am I up a creek and have to make two different sizes of armor? Please tell me the former!!!! Thanks everyone!!

=Greg=

If you are only making the two a mold would end up costing you more than doing them in pep and resin/fiberglass. I'd scale pep for both of you and go that route. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Say for a full set of armor, what are we looking at, price wise? I assume I'd be using Smooth-On Rebound 25 for the silicone unless someone recommends something better/more cost effective.

I've worked with fiberglass before, but from what I've seen so far, the final look of pep armor is more angular than accurate, and not really my taste. Can pep armor be made to look like sculpted armor?

If you go with Pep, you can get a full set (at least in my estimations) for less than $250 (not including your time). $500 for two sets is entirely doable. It can look as good as any molded armor out there in my opinion. It takes time, patience, bondo, and sanding. I haven't molded any armor but from what I've seen here you are looking at quite a bit more than doing Pep.

DOOM4734 said:
Say for a full set of armor, what are we looking at, price wise? I assume I'd be using Smooth-On Rebound 25 for the silicone unless someone recommends something better/more cost effective.

I've worked with fiberglass before, but from what I've seen so far, the final look of pep armor is more angular than accurate, and not really my taste. Can pep armor be made to look like sculpted armor?

Ditch the idea of molding, you are looking at a project wich will cost you a minimum of 3000usd (three thousand)
Unless you actually got the money to spare, go for it.

-Fin(n)ish

Last edited by a moderator:
DOOM4734 said:

Sorry, this made me laugh (in a good way) :lol
IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

Sorry for double post, i cant edit my topics due to post moderation.. (i cant see my own posts)

-Fin(n)ish

DOOM4734 said:

Sorry, this made me laugh (in a good way) :lol
IMG_2297.jpg

IMG_2298.jpg

IMG_2296.jpg

IMG_2299.jpg

Sorry for double post, i cant edit my topics due to post moderation.. (i cant see my own posts)

-Fin(n)ish

I'm only concerned that I wouldn't be able to get those beautifully smooth, rounded curves on the arms and shins. To be blunt, I'm a fairly accomplished sculptor, so I'm only concerned about cost of silicone and resin, and the RIDICULOUS amount of work in making TWO sets of the same armor, just different sizes. I always planned on making pep armor for scaling ratio, but then sculpting the armor itself. I was just curious if there was a way to make it a more "one sized fits TWO" sorta thing, ha ha. Not so much interested in actual pepakura armor. But thanks for the advise!!

DOOM4734 said:
I'm only concerned that I wouldn't be able to get those beautifully smooth, rounded curves on the arms and shins. To be blunt, I'm a fairly accomplished sculptor, so I'm only concerned about cost of silicone and resin, and the RIDICULOUS amount of work in making TWO sets of the same armor, just different sizes. I always planned on making pep armor for scaling ratio, but then sculpting the armor itself. I was just curious if there was a way to make it a more "one sized fits TWO" sorta thing, ha ha. Not so much interested in actual pepakura armor. But thanks for the advise!!

=Doom=
I'm having the same quandary with Marine armor. I'm a skinny guy, but I have several friends who want some armor, but are varying sizes. I'm going to take the military route and make armor that doesn't exactly fit anyone. :D

Yeah. My buddy is definitely smaller than me. And he wants the MK.VI, and I want the same but with an ODST helm. So I really don't want to have to sculpt the EXACT armor, but just different sized. I'm just worried that I'll sculpt some phenomenal armor in one size, then can't replicate it exactly in just a size larger...

PM Doc Bytes. He had some pics up of a thigh on someone 5'4" and someone 6'1" I believe. He could probably help.

DOOM4734 said:

you can make your edges rounded if you wanted but it will take some time trust me i work with bondo alot the only thing you have to do is put more bondo on the squared edges and sand is as if it were curved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back