First Spartan Build - Maybe Pic Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert594

Hi everyone,
Posted this originally when the forum was messed up and its gone now so here i am rewriting it! :)

I've had a bit more free time lately than usual and i only have until September to get this finished for the MCM Comic Con Expo in Glasgow.
So far this is what i have done.
Fibreglassed and Rondo's the Forearms, Shoulders, Chest and handplates.

Any comments welcome :)

Shoulders which have straps but only one is painted.
Shoulder2.jpg

Front of the chest :)
Chest2.jpg

Back of the chest, before i ran out of paint.
183885[/ATTACH]

Gloves with hand plates
Gloves.jpg

Both Forearms before running out of Primer.
Forearm.jpg
Forearm2.jpg

Padding that is being used in the armor
Padding.jpg

Knife and Sheath so far.
KnifeSilver.jpg

Data Chip
DateChip.jpg

Resin Cast Pistol
Pistol.jpg

Attachments

• ChestSilver.jpg
    ChestSilver.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 136
Looks great bro. I was just working on my leg and was wondering what kind of foam to put in, Now i know, thanks!

While i'm waiting on some more Spray paint to arrive i decided to do some weathering to my chest and shoulder. Sorry for the bad pictures. Might change them for good photo's in the next few days.
ChestWeathering.jpg
ChestWeathering2.jpg

To do it i have a base coat of Silver, so i just sanded to edges. Anyone else got any personal experiences with weathering?

Build looks great. Keep up the good work.
I like to apply Vaseline using the threads of a long screw on small section on the silver base paint. Then spray paint your final color as normal. After it drys, simply wipe the Vaseline off revealing scuffed silver. Apply to small sections. I went a little to crazy on my first attempt and it looked like I rolled down a hill instead of weathered.

Drybrush method is often used alot.
Now it depends on how you built your armor. Did you go the resin fiberglass route or the rondo way? weathering a piece I find is alot easier with a piece coated with rondo on the inside. Don't be afraid to take a rotary tool or a file and scar your edges. If you good up, just fill and sand with resin.
Keep up the good work!

I spray everything with a base coat of silver and then apply toothpaste with a brush to all the areas I want to so the signs of 'weathering', but I also drybrush here and there. I also spray everything with a blackwash (Black acrylic paint and water in a spray bottle) and a mudwash (Brown acrylic paint and water in a spray bottle) to add a duller, dirtier look that helps bring out the smaller details.

You can examples of these techniques in my ODST thread listed below in my sig line.

Thanks for your thoughts! :)
I tried the black wash with Black Acrylic and water but it wouldn't stick to the red spray paint i've used. It just washed off completely. Which is the main reason i went to just taking some sand paper to it to create the scratches.
Ordered more paint so it'll arrive within the next 4 days hopefully then get the forearms and other shoulder sprayed and weathered then start pepping the helmet :)

True, the blackwash does have a tendency to not stick to the smooth spray paint very well, but that's kind of good actually. You want the blackwash to run into all the cracks and crevices to makes them pop and bring out the details. You also need to let it sit for a while before wiping it down.

That being said, an option is to lightly sand down the area you want to blackwash with a high grit paper. This gives the black something to stick to.

True, the blackwash does have a tendency to not stick to the smooth spray paint very well, but that's kind of good actually. You want the blackwash to run into all the cracks and crevices to makes them pop and bring out the details. You also need to let it sit for a while before wiping it down.

That being said, an option is to lightly sand down the area you want to blackwash with a high grit paper. This gives the black something to stick to.

This is a very good point and i am glad you suggested this! I will probably give it a shot, might try some silver paint in crevices with a coat of brown + gold to give it a muddier look.

Another update - Painted but unweathered forearms.

Forearmsunweathered.jpg

So been working on the helmet for that past 2 weeks... First attempt was far too big, second attempt was too small, and after the third attempt.. it JUST fits but if it was any bigger the helmet would be out of scale to the rest of my body.
WP_20130714_001.jpg

What do you guys think? Currently working my way through sanding the helmet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back