First time EVA foam construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader1080

Hello everybody.

This will be a progress thread of my two-month EVA foam armour project which had a deadline of December 22th of this year. I already bit the bullet and go for the more “traditional” EVA foam armour that everyone was raving about and already I already hit a stumbling block.

I made the codpiece today as it has the least parts to work and serve as a good starting point and here’s the screenshot of the Pepakura software:

Screenshot (8).png

I am using the Robogenisis pepakura adapted for foam I found online and it is based on Pre-Halo 4 Mark VI design.

And the actual pieces that I had cut out from a piece of foam.

IMG_20180926_163707.jpg

I tried look up some tutorials on YouTube and on the site but its not clear how to interpret the graphics in the Pepakura software and the actual pieces.

While I understood that fold lines on the Pepakura pieces but I never get how to connect the seemingly flat pieces into a 3D shape like in the software. The software has a lot of different shadings in several angles which confused me, do I need to make these folds as well?

For example, in the circled area from the screenshot, I can't understand or take the risk (failed earlier in the day) to actually connect the piece to the flat pieces show below.

IMG_20180926_163717.jpg

A lot of help is greatly appreciated.

So it looks like in that gap, there is a side peice, and it is a valley fold to connect them. If you cut out a 45° beveld piece, you can then glue it in between to support the two peices together.

Some tips for pepekura:
if you select the join adjacent edges tool, it will bring the 3d model together without the gaps in between pieces.

I personally use Armorsmith, which pretty much has pepakura built into it, while allowing for a really great sizing reference model for costuming. If you do want to check it out, I find it is a lot easier to see how pieces come together. Here is an example of one one of mine
IMG_20180906_145457.jpg

With that said, pepakura does work, and I have used it before. It's how I started foam armor making. You can find a great tutorial made by Spacemeat here:

SpacemeatTheCosplay

He has a playlist for his tutorial series, along with his other builds. He uses pepakura so you can take some tips on how to read and use pepakura for foam patterns.

And of course, these forms are filled with many other people who can help out if you have any more questions :D

Also another note, foam likes to bend, so you don't need to include every single fold, just the major one's. There is a lot you can get away with by making it bend vice having a hard fold.

So it looks like in that gap, there is a side peice, and it is a valley fold to connect them. If you cut out a 45° beveld piece, you can then glue it in between to support the two peices together.

Some tips for pepekura:
if you select the join adjacent edges tool, it will bring the 3d model together without the gaps in between pieces.

I personally use Armorsmith, which pretty much has pepakura built into it, while allowing for a really great sizing reference model for costuming. If you do want to check it out, I find it is a lot easier to see how pieces come together. Here is an example of one one of mine
View attachment 260230

With that said, pepakura does work, and I have used it before. It's how I started foam armor making. You can find a great tutorial made by Spacemeat here:

SpacemeatTheCosplay

He has a playlist for his tutorial series, along with his other builds. He uses pepakura so you can take some tips on how to read and use pepakura for foam patterns.

And of course, these forms are filled with many other people who can help out if you have any more questions :D

Thanks! I will download all of his videos and have a run down on it. As for the software side, I am afraid I will not get Armoursmith because its expensive and I think Pepakura designer is adequate for my needs unless I can enable those pesky hidden fold lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back