First try at Pepakura ever. What say?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Resort

Jr Member
Hey guys,

After being pumped by watching everyone else's awesome armour, I decided to man up, spend some cash and get started. My choice of first armour ever was Space Marine Power Armour from Warhammer 40K. Most of it is big and bulky, so I thought it would be a good starting point. First point of attack: the massive Power Armour pauldrons. Any constructive criticism will be GREATLY appreciated. Even though I think it looks somewhat average compared to a couple others, I'm really happy with it as my first attempt. I used 210gsm card (yeah, I'm Australian), with hot glue.

Cheers, hope you guys like my start,

- Adam

(Hope the links work)

http://img4.imageshack.us/i/img0000r.jpg/

http://img573.imageshack.us/i/img0001rg.jpg/

http://img64.imageshack.us/i/img0002qsx.jpg/

(I have no idea how to add pictures to a post. Can someone enlighten me? I tried the 'Insert Image' button, but when I did 'Preview Post', nothing came up. Help?)

For a first time that looks pretty good. If you use photobucket you can copy the direct link of the image and past it into the insert image area and get the image itself onto the post.

After being pumped by watching everyone else's awesome armour, I decided to man up, spend some cash and get started. My choice of first armour ever was Space Marine Power Armour from Warhammer 40K.
Good to see another WH40K WIP.

(I have no idea how to add pictures to a post. Can someone enlighten me? I tried the 'Insert Image' button, but when I did 'Preview Post', nothing came up. Help?)
Since you're using ImageShack, here's what you need to do: right-button click on the pic and click on "View Image Info." Copy the image location or its URL. Click "Insert Image" on your text editor and then paste the URL. If you want to do it manually, use the IMG tag code:

(the actual code doesn't have any spaces)

img0000r.jpg

This pic doesn't show the full length of the pauldron in relation to your arm. The lower part should extend almost to the crook of your elbow.

This pic doesn't show the full length of the pauldron in relation to your arm. The lower part should extend almost to the crook of your elbow.

When it's sitting right, it sits just about perfect to the elbow. And that was even with forgetting to scale it first! Lucky or what?

Also, yeah, I did that with the URL and
tags, and I even used the exact same URL, but for some reason when I pressed 'Preview' they didn't show up. No idea why.

Also, yeah, I did that with the URL and
tags, and I even used the exact same URL, but for some reason when I pressed 'Preview' they didn't show up. No idea why.
The link that you used is for the page, not the pic. That's why I said to use the url of the image location.

Remember, the space marines sholder peice also sits out abit because it is secured to a secondary smaller piece (Going from the models here).

Moving On. Welcome to the 405th. Nice to have another aussie on here :). Also good to see a space marine being built. Any idea on what chapter it will be from?

wooo, from the inside shot that looks really good and clean, even i cant do it that clean. there is a TINY bit of warp and creasing, but you are going to sand it anyway so it dont matter at all. if the rest is peped that good, then you are going to do well, though a space marine, i would say, isnt the best aremour to start making, as it is VERY clunky, and will require alot of working out how it will fit.

Any idea on what chapter it will be from?

No idea yet. Thinking either Salamanders (from my current minitures), Grey Knights (I have Grey Knight .PDO files to use), or a Chapter and colour scheme I'll make up. I'm thinking 'Death Stalkers' for the Chapter name. Or a Loyalist version of the World Eaters. Just because.

wooo, from the inside shot that looks really good and clean, even i cant do it that clean. there is a TINY bit of warp and creasing, but you are going to sand it anyway so it dont matter at all. if the rest is peped that good, then you are going to do well, though a space marine, i would say, isnt the best aremour to start making, as it is VERY clunky, and will require alot of working out how it will fit.

Eh, up close it's not that flash, but I'm still really happy with it. And yeah, it's clunky and whatnot, but most of the armour mainly consists of broad, flat surfaces, so it shouldn't be too bad.

I only just figured out, after looking through the .PDO files AFTER printing them, pepping the Bolter is gonna suck SO bad. There's like a squillion tiny folds. Hope it works out :/

The bolter is a pretty boxy weapon. It might be better to just build the body out of cardboard and then add deatails on with layers of cardboard?

Also, salamanders is pretty sweet. =D.

ALSO just realised: with the pauldrons on, I can't reach up to take my helmet on or off. Which means either I have to walk around with it always on, or always off. Or have a squire of some kind to put it on and off for me. No dramatic sweeps of taking the helm off and looking heroically into the distance :( Thoughts, people?

The bolter is a pretty boxy weapon. It might be better to just build the body out of cardboard and then add deatails on with layers of cardboard?

Also, salamanders is pretty sweet. =D.

I know, I know, but I've already printed the Bolter pep files off, and to be honest, I suck at making things without clear-cut instructions. So adding details freehand will inevitably lead to me getting angry and tossing it in the pool.

Also, yes they are.

I know, I know, but I've already printed the Bolter pep files off, and to be honest, I suck at making things without clear-cut instructions. So adding details freehand will inevitably lead to me getting angry and tossing it in the pool.

tossing it into the pool, nice, but since its pepkura why not burn it? or find a way to make it go boom boom?:rolleyes

Or, do what i do. Just print something else on the other side?

Also, i like the squire idea. "Squire...Remove my helmet...now put it back on...now take it off again....now back on". at which point he runs away, but you wont be able to chase him in the leg armour...

Also, i like the squire idea. "Squire...Remove my helmet...now put it back on...now take it off again....now back on". at which point he runs away, but you wont be able to chase him in the leg armour...

Could always find a way to fit a taser inside the Bolter, so I can zap him if he tries to run...

Also: Nearly finished cutting out the Bolter. I don't have any auto-cutter-machine-thingo so it's taking a while. Hopefully I can start gluing later today!

Oh God, why did I choose the Bolter D: Ahwell, 2 pages to go. If this goes A over T, I'm gonna be more than a little annoyed...

Hey guys, I dunno how many of you are still watching this, and I'm not sure if it's an offence to bump a thread that, I think, is technically dead. But I'm still working on the Godwyn-De'az Bolter, and I have an update! With pics! Using PhotoBucket! I'm the sort of person that doesn't update unless a fair bit as happened. But anyway...We haaaaave...

The Boltgun, completely disassembled and helpfully labelled. So far, so not bad.
BolterDisassembled.jpg

Then the inside of the lower body half. This part annoyed me for a couple of reasons. 1) If you look at 'My little screw-up', it's because there are meant to be a couple of protrusions there. I didn't cut it right, they didn't fit, so I plastered over them with spare Cardstock. It turned out...messy. Ideas/thoughts?
LowerBodyInside.jpg

Theeeeeeeen we have the magazine. I'm quite proud of this, because I thought I wouldn't be able to have the cool looking protrusions running down the side. But I fixed it :D
Magazine.jpg

And finally, everything assembled. Unglued, but balanced and badass looking nonetheless. I'm really, REALLY proud of my work, since it's my second pepping thingo ever, and the Bolter is really finicky.
Semi-Assembled.jpg

Anyway, thanks for keeping tabs guys, I really appreciate it. The next update will probably be the Bolter finished and me holding it in a badass hero pose. Just because.

I'm out for now,

- Adam

Attachments

• BolterDisassembled.jpg
    BolterDisassembled.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 136
  • LowerBodyInside.jpg
    LowerBodyInside.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Magazine.jpg
    Magazine.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Semi-Assembled.jpg
    Semi-Assembled.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 105
Your bolter looks like it's based on the model by mondo, which I found in the Google 3D Warehouse. I'm curious about how you're going to do the handle. It's too detailed for pep, IMO. Too many folds and little cuts. Also, another reason I didn't pick this when I decided to build my bolter is that those grooves on the magazine are supposed to be depressions, not protrusions. However, your build looks very good so far.

I know absolutely zero about Warhammer, but your build looks like its comming along nicely. While building, be sure to pay attention to the fold lines to determine whether it is a mountain or valley fold. One approach you may take is to trace the different fold lines with different colours. Valley folds=red, mountain folds=blue...or whatever colours you want... This also helps to score the fold lines to make it easier to achieve a clean, straight fold.

Hope it helps, and keep up the great work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back