Fixing Holes Caused By Rust In A Car Roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SGT Razor

Sr Member
I drive a 1984 Toyota Land Cruiser, and it's a beater. It smokes when you drive it, sometimes the E-brake slips out causing the car to smash into your neighbor's gate, but the first thing that needs to be fixed is the roof. It's been sitting in the driveway for a year because of it, and now it seriously needs help. Rust has worn the roof down so much that there are a series of rusted slits in it. I'm thinking about fiberglassing it, but I was wondering if there was any other way to do it before I start. Remember, since this car is a piece of crap already, and the repairs are for function not beauty.

Spartanspork said:
take off the roof. make it a convertible :D

Har har har. I see what you did thar.

Anyway, I think what tlither suggested might not be a bad idea. But if you don't have access to a welder, I would just fiberglass it. I mean, that's what they use to fix car body holes anyway right?

Best of luck,

Ixius

Last edited by a moderator:
smilie120 said:
It might actually be cheaper to replace the entire roof.. Got any pics?

Unfortunately, I do not have pics. My dad and I covered it with plastic and tape for the time being until we could figure out a way to fix it. I do have access to a welder I think. I'll see if that can straighten it out...

In the meantime, please don't stop posting your suggestions.

Dreadnought of Fury said:
Duct Tape and Trash Bags.

-.-

Already done that. :lol: 'Cept with plastic sheets and packing tape.

rvb4life: I live in a foreign country and do not speak the language well enough to get a job. Hence, no money. Hence, no new car.

Also, New car + blue eyes and white skin + greedy people in a third-world country = Me being mugged, robbed, carjacked, or kidnapped. I'm not sure I want to be a target for any of those things. If you do, be my guest and enjoy.

Friendly said:
Already done that. :lol: 'Cept with plastic sheets and packing tape.

rvb4life: I live in a foreign country and do not speak the language well enough to get a job. Hence, no money. Hence, no new car.

Also, New car + blue eyes and white skin + greedy people in a third-world country = Me being mugged, robbed, carjacked, or kidnapped. I'm not sure I want to be a target for any of those things. If you do, be my guest and enjoy.

Where the hell do you live? India? Istanbul?

Go to the hardware store, buy a sheet of steel that covers over it, get some epoxy and glue the piece onto the already sanded area.

Silicon caulk it to make sure wayer doesnt leak in, and bondo over it.

Keep the holes then! Blame mobs and gansters for shooting your car and throwing grenades at you as you fight off a bear trying to maul you in your car whilst driving down a highway dodging traffic and civilians while shooting out the window with an MP5 trying to fend off the deadly Ninjas that are trying to steal the chest full of gold you stole from a burly group of deadly pirates earlier with Chuck Norris.

Or that it was rusted.

What your going to have to do is first sand the rust off as much as possible. Then your going to have to cut out the area where its rusted through. Weld sheet metal in place of it then grind the welds to make them as smooth as possible then bond over that to give it a smoother feel. If the rust is not that bad we sell (autozone) something in the paint section that converts rust into primer ( or something like that). I think its in a brown spray can.

New idea. Sun roof opportunity.

Get a sheet of clear plastic at lowes for 10-15 dollars, and lots of silicon so water doesnt leak in.

Frost - I didn't think of that! Great idea. Don't think Friendly has a Lowes nearby but plexiglass for a sunroof is great. Get a couple tubes of silicone and you're set.

Don't have a Lowes, but we have something like it. I like the idea, but I don't think I'm going to use it seeing that the roof is right underneath the luggage rack. Great idea, though.

Sand off the rust completely.
If the holes are large, place wire mesh over them, then fiberglass over them.
When finished fiberglassing, sand. then primer, if you see small imperfections, keep sanding.
Add some filler to make it really smooth. Sand again, Primer.
Primer 2-3 coats. Then spray colour.

Or, you could rivet on sheet aluminum, like Tlilther said But make sure you sand that rust off first. then just put filler in the gaps and sand down until you have a smooth, flush joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back