Flip/Mirror Pepakura Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

aurias

I'm working on boots from Reach, the file that seems to be the most accurate and one I would like to do appears to be designed to be for a specific foot (left or right). The particular model looks like it would be for the right foot. The problem is, it's the only file, it isn't labeled left or right.

Is there a way to flip a pepakura model across an axis? Model I'm using came from the 405th shared folder on 4shared, called "ReachBoot".

In the future, please ask this question in the "HELP! For Pepakura" sticky at the top of the page, as it is easier to get help from those sources!

To answer the question, yes it is possible to mirror in pep designer. In the 2d Menu, choose "Invert Pattern" and that's it!

Well, if you are looking to invert the boot, look under the "2d menu" tab. You should see an option for "invert pattern". It should give the desired effect. Also if it's the same file I looked up, it looks like it wouldn't make a huge difference if you inverted it or not. But I could be mistaken.

Hope this helps!

EDIT^^^You beat me to it...dang it!

Just remember though when you flip the pattern only the 2d puzzle on the right changes, the 3d image on the left stays the same.

Thanks everyone for the help! I enjoy the simple solutions, they don't come often :)

@Katsu - Noted, still getting a feel for the place. Thanks!

Well, if you are looking to invert the boot, look under the "2d menu" tab. You should see an option for "invert pattern". It should give the desired effect. Also if it's the same file I looked up, it looks like it wouldn't make a huge difference if you inverted it or not. But I could be mistaken.

Hope this helps!

EDIT^^^You beat me to it...dang it!

You're right in that it wouldn't make much difference, and with the end product probably not much at all. But if you rotate the model as if you were looking directly at the front of the boot, it has a slight pitch to one side, giving the appearance to me at least of a specific side. Maybe I'm too picky :) Thanks!

I'm actually trying to do the invert with the halo 4 thigh and forearm and it seems that you build it inside out and it gets quite confusing when all the folds are on the outside and the numbers on the inside. Is there a way to invert that too?

I'm actually trying to do the invert with the halo 4 thigh and forearm and it seems that you build it inside out and it gets quite confusing when all the folds are on the outside and the numbers on the inside. Is there a way to invert that too?

The model is actually fine, it sounds like you've got the folds mixed up (mistaking a valley fold for a mountain fold and vice versa). Simply switch your fold types and it will fix the problem. This isn't something that you will do in the program, just when you are building it.

well when i inverted the file it started having me build it inside out and I had checked the mountain and valley folds and I had it right. Idk I'll go back and reverse the fold lines then and see how it comes out.

Before you do that, one thing to realize, switching the types of folds will also invert the pattern. So, if you invert the pattern on pep designer, print it out and switch the folds, you're back to where you started.

I'm not sure why the file seems inside out, maybe it's a file I'm unfamiliar with. I don't suppose you could provide a link to the one you're using. Maybe we can get this straightened out once and for all.

Ok, I've downloaded the file and taken a look. The 3D model is done correctly, right-side-out; and the folds all appear to be correctly oriented. So, I'm not sure where the problem is stemming from.

When you inverted the pattern, you did it in the "2D Menu" tab, right?

One thing I would suggest is to disregard the dots and dashes method of determining whether a fold is a valley or mountain fold. I suggest making both lines solid and assigning colors to them. You can do this by right-clicking and selecting the "Edge Color" option (or push Ctrl-E on your keyboard) and assigning the different folds different colors; personally, I assign mountain folds red and valley folds blue. Then go into the "Settings" tab, click "Other Settings" and turn the mountain and valley folds to "Solid."

That is just a suggestion, but it will help you determine without a doubt which folds are which (even on the tiny tabs).

yes from the 2D menu. the problem I was having was when I would invert the pattern it seemed the folds were inverted as well and it WOULD come out right in the end its just you would have all the numbered parts on the inside. idk sounds wierd but i'll try what you said and see how it works.

You can see from my build I've only been working on the right side of the body for everything because of the inversion issue I was having. I'm actually doing the forearm right now and I had figured that if I couldnt get the thigh right I'd just use the halo 3 HD thighs until I could resolve the issue. Almost everything else on the suit is A symmetrical and can be made for both sides without inverting

Hmm, that does sound weird. Inverting the pattern should not invert the folds. If that's actually what's happening, I can't explain that one. When I invert the pattern, and check, the folds are still correct.

well thats all I had done and that was the dilemma. Hope it works correctly this time only its done it with more than just the one file. I'm using the regular old pep designer like everyone else. I thank you for your time and attention to my problem though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back