Flip's High Def Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipboy439

Jr Member
Hey guys, I finally finished my HD FS helmet. took me a long freakin time cause ive been really busy lately. I think it came out good overall, a few screw ups here and there but nothing that cant be fixed with some bondo i think. tell me what you guys think
1214081518.jpg

1214081518a.jpg

1214081519.jpg

1214081519a.jpg

okay and here are some close ups:
1214081520.jpg

(probably one of the hardest parts of the helmet for me, i screwed up and had to do all sorts or amputations to fix it. i think it can be fixed with bondo. you?)

1214081520a.jpg

(relief cuts to help out with the stress on the other part, just an example of what i had to go through, haha.)

1214082231.jpg

(lastly, i know that youre supposed to cut some of the rim off, but how much? can anyone photoshop an ideal cut line or anything? would be much appreciated.)

Well, thats it for now, ill be printing out the details soon, and having a go at them, and then ill probably do a combination of some more pep and fiberglassing this one. let me know what yall think. peace.

here's where i had to cut mine to for it to clear my ears, hope this helps. great job on the helmet.
th_100_3672.jpg
th_100_3673.jpg

thanks gears. oh and thanks jango. that helps. ill let yall know wen im going too. i cant now cause its calculus time. haha

--- EDIT ---
Hey guys, what i really wanted to know was whether yall thought that the support struts would straighten out the warping in the helmet and if the messups on the back could be fixed with bondo. i REALLY dont want to redo this, but its salvageable right?

From what i have done, the supports help. and as long as you spend enough time on it, you can pretty much bondo out everything. most of your problems aren't that bad. it just really depends on how ocd you are about that kinda stuff. plus you can always go back and redo it later after you get some more practice in.

Will the struts help? - yes. Can the back be fixed? - yes. Keep the helm and it will turn out fine if you take your time.

The support struts will help out a lot. As for bondo, yes, you can bondo out the mistakes that you made. The helmet looks good and the mistakes seems minor that can be easily fixed. Try not to rush, and it'll look great!

Hey guys, this isnt a major update, but an update nevertheless. I decided to do the struts before the details because i think it will help in the long run so that the details are pepped right. So I got home from work and spent about 3 hours and finished up the support struts. i think they helped out alot, i didnt know how off my helm was until i added these in, so tell me what you think!

1231080217.jpg

Front
1231080218.jpg

Left Side
1231080219.jpg

Right Side

1231080253.jpg

1231080219a.jpg

1214082231.jpg

I was very leery about adding that strut, so i had a brilliant idea! i can fit my head into this helmet pretty easily when it is pulled like how the pencil shows, so i removed the strut, hot glued both sides of the pencil (not to the helmet) so they wouldnt slide, and popped it into place! now i shouldnt have to do much, if any, modification to fit my head in.

1231080220.jpg

oh and here is a slight problem from the struts. they warped the edge. but based on what ive seen, i should be able to smooth it out with bondo

Thanks everyone and let me know what you think! I should print and pep the details out soon and then off to fiberglassing and the like. peace!

A little tip I learned when doing the 'Bill' of the hat... the faces that are on there... glue the card stock that has the faces on them (faces are the shapes on it if you wondered), anyhow glue it to a blank piece of card stock. When the glue has dried cut them out and attach them. The result shouldn't need to be tweaked at all as it will be raised about the right height... saves quite a bit of time trying to carve the details in, all you have to do is light sanding after a couple coats of bondo.

Helmet is coming along nicely, it will be awesome to see how well you finish it

@ Jessmo:
thanks dude, it is long, but worth it, i started with easier stuff and worked my way up to this, its taken me longer because of work, school, rock band, gf, etc..

@ Sir Blood:
Thanks man, ill look into that. that sounds like a really good idea. Although i have been looking into a styrene details for the sides of the visor and the bottom of the bill, so i might take your idea and modify it a smidge. I like this idea specifically so it is a different texture, even though metal would be better, we will see how it looks.

thanks to all for looking at my helmet, i was wondering what the community (or the people who read this) think about my pencil idea, i mean, i think FBglassing the helm like how i can find my head into it is a better idea that cutting it, and it still looks good to me, tell me what you think. peace!

Hey guys, since it was finally a good day here in sc, i decided to do some work on my helmet. I managed to resin about 95 percent of the outside, since it dried up a little too fast on me. but ill probably just go back and add another coat on the areas with light or no resin. check out the pics and let me know what you think!

0201091752.jpg

Front

0201091752a.jpg

Back

Oh, and i decided to maybe attempt the details with a different type of material. maybe some thin styrene? any comments on the material?

flipboy439 said:
Oh, and i decided to maybe attempt the details with a different type of material. maybe some thin styrene? any comments on the material?
i used vinyl to make the details with my helmet....i dont know how to sew , so i just glued mine on and it looks really convincing that way

Last edited by a moderator:
well, this is more the effect im thinking of, i think it will look a lot different and more realistic.
chest.jpg

thanks to koobs for giving me the idea (it is his armor after all). If i had some thicker styrene, i think it might look good for the rear of the helmet. im still lookin around to find something that has a nice metallic look to it for the bottom of the rim, if i cant find anything, ill probably just use that styrene for it as well.

Hey guys, finally another good day here! got some major work done. ish. i finished up the last bit of resining i did, and i fiberglassed some of the inside too! heres the pics, enjoy!

0207091636b.jpg

before fiberglass

0207091710a.jpg

after fiberglass.
0207091710.jpg

closer view. I got about 2/3 of the bottom done, ill def be able to do more tomorrow if the good weather keeps up, let me know what you guys think!

Looks really good man!

I'm currently building my fs hd helmet too, so I know what you went through, quite a challenge but the detail is worth it!

Keep it up!

hey, to anyone who is pretty tech-savy, any chance you could help me out real quick? i saw this at my work the other day, so i got it. its a little kid's voice changer thing. idk how good its working tho. whenever i talk to it, it doesnt pick up sound, so i basically have to blow sound into it for it to recognize, but the sound that comes out is then too screwed up to understand. I want to maybe replace the mic and speaker and install it into my helmet, is this possible? here are some pics:

0207092304.jpg

0207092305.jpg

0207092306.jpg

terrible mic and speaker output

0207092308.jpg

and a close up of the chip.

any suggestions or questions let me know, all help is much appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back