Foam Mk VII Build, by Sithslayer78 due by Otakon 2013!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sithslayer78

Current Progress:
QE1MI10.jpg

After the great Forumpocalypse of 2013, I am now reposting all of the stuff that was deleted last time, and adding this week's update!

First, the survivors from the Ark:
I've been running a Fiberglass-Foam hybrid ODST costume, but as I'm starting to outgrow it, I'm starting a MJOLNIR Mk VII build completely out of EVA foam, and wanted to have somewhere to collect my thoughts. The build needs to be completed in 10 weeks, for Otakon 2013 (Hit me up if you're going!), and I start work on Monday, so this build will probably seem really fast paced and may not make much coherent sense at all, but whatever. I promise that there will be cool pics. Lots of them. Let's start with these!

Torso, Foam, Built
zn1nq8b.jpg

With Helmet (To be molded once detailed)
zuA04ag.jpg

Plasti-Dipped layer 1
swAZ7SS.jpg

I love Plasti Dip. The general idea here is to build quickly, and let the details and paintjob cover any possible imperfections. For each part, The progression will be as follows.

1. Build Basic form out of large EVA foam (Files downloaded from 405th.4shared.com
  2. Use smaller EVA foam to make details, usually by eye from reference pics
  3. Fill in inner cracks with a mix of Silicone and Corn starch (Try it out)
  4. Use heat gun to de-stress and seal foam
  5. Plasti dip, 2 layers inside, 3-5 outside
  6. Paint
  7. Modge Podge (Matte, clear, flexible coat) all
  8. Battle Scar
  9. Padding
  10. Mount Accesories (if any)
  11. Mount onto Flightsuit (Undersuit)
As for additional goodies (that I'm listing here mainly so that I don't forget):

• Use a Respirator inside of the helmet with upper exhaust fans to prevent fogging
  • Camelbak bladder integration
  • flexibility (I plan to use this for our school's HvZ Halloween mission)
  • Have each part mounted independently to the undersuit (no "overall" configuration hanging from the shoulders)
  • Phone in gauntlet, and possible old bluetooth in helmet too
C&C welcome, especially Ideas on what to do with the "backpack" areas on the torso!

Throwing up an update: Things are progressing nicely, some cuts and bruises (X-Acto Z is as sharp as they claim!) lots of pics to show. Learning more and more about the foam building process. Also, sorry if this sounds like a technical paper, I’ve had to read a whole bunch lately at work.

Here’s a tentative schedule for the build to come:
Week 1: Arms and Torso
Week 2: Shoulders and Cod, Booty Pieces
Week 3: Thighs, Helmet
Week 4: Shins, Assault Rifle Prop
Week 5: Pistol, Boots, Gloves
Week 6: Undersuit & Mounting
Week 7: Visor and Helmet Electronics
Week 8: Mess with crap until it works
Week 9: There is no week 9.
Week 10: Final touch ups and Otakon

So for this week, :D

Torso: Is now complete, I don’t see that any mounting hardware should be necessary, besides padding. Got it all painted up, and I added some regular Strapping details instead of making them out of foam. Also, I’ve Integrated a Camelfront, (A Camelbak mounted on the front) to account for that large and uniform center bulge seen in the pictures. It’ll help keep me alive too., but I’ll have to integrate it into the undersuit later. Pics!
Uh oh!
iBoajFR.jpg

Just kidding, just Modge Podge! (Painted without details or padding/Camelfront:)
kGpO1eq.jpg

Complete!
fvjvkqd.jpg

Arms: They’re a tight fit, and will need a hardpoint on the undersuit to constrain movement along the arm. I love how they turned out, (A slight modification to the Foam model) too. Also for now, I’m using the same gloves I used for my Halo Reach Jun build, and at most, I’ll consider turning the handplates around later on. Moar Pics!
Foamed:
yb0ZMfx.jpg

Dipped:
Ytfbfio.jpg

“Greened” (Had to do this multiple times because Humidity):
uv53aOq.jpg

Painted!
OWL2kBU.jpg

Awww Yeah!
uv53aOq.jpg

Bonus Helmet and Undersuit!
I finished sanding the Helmet’s recessed details, and I will build the rest on casts. Got the helmet sanded down with 400 grit paper, and filled in the holes with Sugru (TRY IT.) . I’m currently waiting a week for the primer to cure, and after giving it a coat of Future, I’ll be beginning the Rebound 25 Molding Process. Also, I’m just using an old Flightsuit for the Undersuit Base:

O4cBdZf.jpg

Attachments

• uv53aOq.jpg
    uv53aOq.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 194
And now for this week's update: Shoulders and Cod + Booty Pieces

These parts have been Miserable to make. I've always deplored making the hip pieces, and that just dragged my desire to make the shoulder pieces down with it. (They’re the worst, and no matter how you make them, it will always be uncomfortable to sit down on them) However, I've pushed through, and can now finally give an update.

Foamed parts:
Djdrmwm.jpg

mxEUSwF.jpg

Plastidipped (Paint is drying as I post)
0HOpxYA.jpg

So now is the fun part of this week, arriving a bit early. I finally molded the helmet and pulled my first cast!
Mold (Still haven’t gotten the hang of my GS4 camera
Xbrhz87.jpg

Rigid Mold
B7lZc6K.jpg

ZTJ8lHp.jpg

Cast next to master!
Z45CxZi.jpg

See you next week!

So I’m onto doing most of the helmet and the Thighs this week, but here’s more layover from last week too. I don’t have much time, so I’ll just throw up pics.
Finished Shoulder
3MzCDZM.jpg

And Others
5O17h7K.jpg

Helmet Marked for Details
yL9weKc.jpg

Thigh Piece Foamed
56IoSnr.jpg

Later!

Working a little bit on the thighs, but mostly the Helmet. I got it painted and as always, I’ve packed it with a few electronics. This time, I’ve also included a respirator to prevent Visor Fogging and improve airflow.

Primed
xMWLWAw.jpg

Painted and net airflow diagrams
jnxSYqB.jpg

Airflow to the respirator
WiKI3FI.jpg

Full Repspirator assembly
53lLnoX.jpg

Fans (Upper exhaust)
tLU6zro.jpg

LEDs
Th8zU6f.jpg

Got the thighs done, The helmet is complete, and I found some real gems for the undersuit.
Helmet
iqdumwz.jpg

unscbN4.jpg

Thighs
vJfh8jt.jpg

The Fox-Hound Motorcycle suit I found is just perfect for this. It’ll do the webbing texture that’s in halo 4, adds the extra underpadding, and covers just the right places while allowing you to breathe. I love it.
qJMTjUL.jpg

ceNXTHg.jpg

L5GJkPE.jpg

Also the shins have begin!
wgnlY9I.jpg

I can't believe no one else posted anything yet. Your foam work is really good, you have some talent I can tell. The thighs are looking awesome! What kind of green did you use for the painting? I have bought several shades of green, but can't decide witch one to use, don't even know yet if the "right" green is among those cans. But yours is looking just right, so I came here to ask. ^^

I love the helmet airflow you came up with. Great job on everything! keep up the good work

I can't believe no one else posted anything yet. Your foam work is really good, you have some talent I can tell. The thighs are looking awesome! What kind of green did you use for the painting? I have bought several shades of green, but can't decide witch one to use, don't even know yet if the "right" green is among those cans. But yours is looking just right, so I came here to ask. ^^

The paint is Krylon Satin Italian Olive, washed with a very watered down waterbase black paint. (~5Water:1Paint)

QUick Update Pics:

Shins Painted (Will be Velcro-ed together)
A7zJ8TM.jpg

Assault Rifle Basecoated and Washed
sdX7QHv.jpg

A lot of equipment going into this suit... (Omni-FreezeZero Fabric, Camelbak, Fox hound Motorcycle gear, Respirator)
1GzZI13.jpg

It’s all done! I haven’t been posting, but Otakon is tomorrow, and I’ve been rushing to get this done. Here are pics:

Suit pics: :D
Xf7MpLX.jpg

QE1MI10.jpg

Back! (I have since added neodymium magnets to hold my assault rifle!
hPpmWRE.jpg

Leg Pieces!
KUC92vN.jpg

3rCYkV9.jpg

nPz3QmM.jpg

tthNat0.jpg

Arm Pieces!
7SQ1glN.jpg

KSO3Msc.jpg

Tv8Q1hK.jpg

Torso:
xeWxPrc.jpg

DxDbGNU.jpg

In pieces
qA4QiJS.jpg

More pics will be posted after Otakon!

w00t! Came out awesome. I was scrolling up from the last post- saw the 2nd mirror photo and thought you were an action figure (were it not for the human hand) XD. Can't wait to see more pics from the front lines!

Impressive build. The final finished look of it is damn impressive. I suppose you decided to make the resin-then-molded helmet in order to keep the details high. I'd use it too for my future ODST project, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get a proper rubber for the molds and more importantly, I'm not sure where to obtain the right casting resin.

Awesome build, very nicely done and I do agree with Spartan214 that picture does make you look like a toy.

may i ask what color green is that you used for your armor? And do you remember where you got it? btw your build looks awesome!

If I'm not mistaken a lot of people were using sage green with some black wash to darken it adequately. I could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back