1. 581-Erudite Watch
    Greetings Guest! I am the NEW guide of the 405th Infantry Division. I am 581. Surely, you are asking yourself, who is this fascinating entity and what is he about? Fear not! The staff of this great community has cleverly created a comic to share my backstory with you. Click HERE to learn more!

    Dismiss Notice

Foam ODST (WIP)

Discussion in 'New Recruits' started by TuckerN17, Jun 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TuckerN17

    TuckerN17 New Member

    Hello everyone, it has been several years since I've even been on this website and my old username is long gone. This first post is going to be quite long as I have been working on my armor intermittently for about a year and a half.

    This is not my first attempt at making armor. I have tried pep and fiberglassing a Halo Reach spartan before, but I ended up just endlessly sanding and bondoing so I quit.

    Last year in January I saw AndrewDFT's tutorials for ODST foam armor and after thinking about it for awhile I decided to give it a shot. I started out by making a shoulder piece. I had never worked with foam before and decided to proceed with caution as I have a tendency to dive in to a large project and get overwhelmed.
    IMG_20170102_214629.jpg
    Much to my surprise it didn't turn out half bad. So I kept at it and before I knew it I had all the foam pieces cut out and glued together. During this process I also started working on the under suit. I found fabric on Amazon that I liked and made a template from a button up shirt and a pair of pants.
    IMG_20170509_175128.jpg
    The under suit was actually quite easy to sew (those 8th grade home economics skills came right back). That was in about November. The weather got cold outside so Plastidip wasn't an option. I tried sealing the foam with glue then painting it with acrylic paint but I wasn't satisfied. The armor just didn't look right to me. So I decided to shelve the project for awhile and ponder what to do.
    IMG_20170427_191934.jpg IMG_20170428_102917.jpg IMG_20170515_185351.jpg IMG_20170418_151935.jpg IMG_20170408_141642.jpg

    So the project laid dormant for a couple months until recently it started getting warm outside. Over the winter months I would randomly think about the armor, what I liked and what I knew needed to change. The thing that seemed to bother me the most was the placement of the straps. So last month I pulled everything out of the closet and laid it all out on the floor. The first thing I did was carefully remove ALL of the straps. Next I Plastidipped all of the pieces. Then it was time to add on the strapping again. I bought adhesive Velcro for fabric and added it to the under suit where the armor pieces would go over top. The Velcro would do most of the work of holding the armor in place on my body. The straps were there to hold the armor piece against my body so it wasn't flapping around. I ended up liking how well the Velcro holds that I'm using it all over the place.

    So this brings us to today, and the current state of my project. All of the foam pieces are cut out and glued together, with the exception of the chest plate which I am currently remaking. Today I finished adding strapping to the legs. The ab plate and back plate are finished and fit great. I am able to sit down comfortably which is a huge bonus.
    legs.JPG front ab plate.JPG back.JPG
    The main chest piece is almost finished, it just needs the chest plate. The forearms are finished and are held in place just by sliding them up my arm. The shoulder armor need a bit of work as I don't like how they rest on my upper arm.

    Last but not least is the helmet. I did originally build an AndrewDFT's helmet but I didn't like it very much. I tend to think that people look at the helmet more than any other part of the armor so I wanted to make sure it looked good. So I decided to 3D print the helmet. After many, many hours of printing, gluing, sanding, applying primer, and filling this is how it looks. I still need to put some work into it but I'm overall happy with it.
    helmet 1.JPG

    I do have a M6SOCOM pistol and a silenced SMG in the works, but I'll save those for another time.
     
  2. TurboCharizard

    TurboCharizard RMO 405th Regiment Officer

    Woah.
    giphy.gif

    WOAH
    giphy.gif

    That's the sign of a good fitting costume. Everything is looking extremely clean well done good sir.

    Do you happen to know what the fabric was called on the bolt so that other forum users can find it?
     
    Lieutenant Jaku likes this.
  3. TuckerN17

    TuckerN17 New Member

    TurboCharizard likes this.
  4. Sean Anwalt

    Sean Anwalt

    Liked, watched, and anticipating great things! I Like how clean it's coming together. Keep us posted, for sure!
     
  5. TuckerN17

    TuckerN17 New Member

    chest front 1.JPG acc 1.JPG acc 2.JPG helmet 2.JPG
    Today I finished up the chest plate and temporarily attached it. I'll need to be able to remove it later to attach the straps to the plastic pieces and then attach those to the back of the chest plate. I also put a coat of black on the helmet. There are a few spots I missed that need a little more work. I also 3D printed the buck to vacuum form the visor a few days ago. Well I should admit its actually the second one I've printed as I melted the first one, who would of thought that hot plastic would melt plastic :) . I have a busy couple days coming up so I won't have much time to work on the project for a couple days.
     
  6. cyberponcho

    cyberponcho

    Awesome work sir! I bought the files meself but haven't really had the time (or space!!) to get to work, but this is very inspiring, looking forward to seeing more of this.
     
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018 at 9:18 AM

Share This Page