foam or pep chest plate pros vs cons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thefabricator

Jr Member
hey, Just looking for advice from some seasoned vets. i currently have my hands on a foam unfold and a obj pep file ill have to unfold (no big deal), i was hoping to get feed back on which method seems to be more preferable, or easiest to accomplish well made detailed parts!

heres two pictures of each file

pep chest pic.png

OBJ pep file

foam pep chest pic.png

foam unfold

Well, the Pepakura way is more time consuming but it offers more details. Foam is cheaper and less time consuming but it offers less details. I hope this answered your question.

Foam is great as it is lightweight and if you're going to cons that'l help. Of course its also cheaper and quicker as stated above. Pepakura takes a lot of patience and when I was just starting out that was a problem for me, but it might not be for you.

you can achieve as much details with both. With Foam build you can add details with different thickness of foam or use a rotating tool to carve them out. Pep files often lack a LOT of detail (screws, small indent light emplacement etc) that,s why you need to refer yourself to in game image for the missing parts and details
DSC08687.JPG

Weird question but are the toothpicks (?) holding it up for drying purposes?

"I'm just a witness"

That is a really great idea that I am going to use. Thanks!

"I'm just a witness"

Like many said, foam is quicker.
With pep, you have to take a lot of time... Printing, cutting and gluing the piece is only the beginning. Then you have to harden it, which is also a longer process and then, finally you have to sand pieces down and add more details and finally, finally you can paint it. Also, it weights a lot more, depending how much resin/bondo/rondo you put into it.

You need to choose for yourself.

For me foam is like... IMPOSSIBRU, while others prefer to work with foam. I enjoy the whole process of the way with pepakura.

I worked with resin and bondo when I did my Stormtrooper armour and swore I would never touch it again! I really admire people who can work so well with it.

"I'm just a witness"

Aside from cost, speed of build, and weight, anyone able to weigh in on the differences between the two in terms of temperature control and comfort. I've heard several people say that foam is more comfortable from a movement perspective, but just curious if one seems to retain heat more.

Just to chime in, just my personal opinion.

I "broke my teeth" on Pepakura. Started with it and I gave up on it.
It's not that foam is 100 times quicker, but it does speed up the production process a lot and you see more "tangible progress" while working on it.
And for me, the weight (or lack of it) of a foam armor was also important.
You also skip the bondo/fiberglass step (and a lot of sanding) with foam which isn't something to underestimate, so it's my guess material-wise it's the cheaper method,

I'm 100% sure that me personally I'll have an easier time repairing a damaged foam armor compared to a damaged fiberglassed armor too.

As for details, i guess the determining factor is mainly how good you are at it. While I would expect pep-based material to win in terms of details, I've seen fantastic detailing on foam too by people who were much more crafted in it than I am.
Or better said, don't doubt that a halfway good made foam suit will beat the hell out of badly made pep suit.

As for comfort : well foam just sits very well.
Better said, first time I put on my MJVI armor with a compression suite underneath, it felt _naked_.
I've never had the chance to wear a GOOD fiberglassed suit in my life so I can't say too much about the comfort factor. I HAVE worn BAD fiberglassed suits on occasions (nothing cosplay related) and if something doesn't quite fit there, you'll feel it constantly like a pain in .... somewhere. :D Foam by it's nature does not have that issue and is far more forgiving.

As for heat : the only part of the foam armor I had heat issues with was the helmet but hey, that's where fans are for and I know for a fact a fiberglassed helmet has the same issues when the design doesn't allow for natural airflow.

To my knowledge its mostly a question of your priorities, and what you are actually making. For skill required: foam takes a slightly more skillful craftsmanship hand if you ask me, where as pep will do it FOR you.
Time wise foam definitely feels like its progressing as you make it and will end up being quicker especially for simpler parts.
Pep lends itself very well to the more complex geometries where as more streamline designs or plate-like layered designs will most likely be better done with foam and probably be easier.
But the most important factor in my opinion is the use you will make of it. If its for a single event or one time use, its not likely a good idea to go the FULL pep way. Whereas it is for a long-time/greater frequency of use.
Reinforced pep, can be heavy, and in some cases cumbersome depending on scaling and the actual model while foam will be much lighter comfortably fit but wear out faster. And it is prone to fissuring (in the detailing or finish mostly ) because it will remain soft and relatively malleable.

My advice, which is what I personally choose to do is select the right method for each project and most importantly for each part of a build. For example, I tend to prefer by far pep for helmets or That sort of complex or spherical geometry. But I'd rather foam for thighs, shins or cod pieces, both for comfort and mobility. (Ex: sitting, kneeling or the wee issues)
In the end however the accuracy or quality depends mostly on the skill or talent of the person that build with experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back