Forum Rules And Moderators

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceHigh

Recently, Sevv's MK VI progress thread was moved to the Elite section. According to Ithica in raziel's thread, only finished pieces can go into the Elite section. I commented on this, saying that even if Sevv's work most likely will be Elite worthy once finished, it should be located elsewhere right now. I did it openly in the thread, since I thought that would be more respectful to Sevv, as opposed to reporting it. Even though I suggested other perks for Sevv, the moderator who moved the thread seemingly was incredibly hurt by the fact that I questioned the move, as I got a very rude and sarcastic reply saying I shouldn't be "muddying it with your particular interpretation of how the forum should run" amongst other things. The moderator also suggested starting a thread of my own, so here I am with a few questions.

What are the actual rules for the Elite section? The only things I have seen about it is the forum subheading "Only the best projects with the best craftsmen go in here." and Ithica's quote. I would like to know for sure, so I don't go ruining other threads.

Are there any guidelines to how moderators should act towards other members at all? I was very surprised to get such a rude response for simply suggesting that a thread move was not according to rules quoted by another moderator. If I'm wrong for quoting a moderator, I do not appreciate being ridiculed by another moderator.

What about future comments from moderators about the rules, such as the one Ithica made? Am I supposed to disregard any comment regarding rules that isn't under the Warning and offenses list?

I agree, the moderator's comment was quite rude and uncalled for.

You stated your concerns clearly and politely and were met with hostility, that is unacceptable conduct in these forums.

I also agree, but he DID do the Stargate... that alone was worthy. Other projects should really be finished though, what if he messes up? What if something goes wrong? the item isn't elite worthy anymore... I agree that he has the skills, but the product isn't yet...

EDIT: looking back on the thread again, I'm even more with AceHigh. The comment made aginst Ace was very rude, and I believe Ace was just trying to uphold what he knew about the forum. I agree. When I saw it was elite, I was wondering if he managed to finish the thing in like 2 days. I saw raz's thread where Ithica specificially states that,
Ithica said:
I just want to clear something up just in case someone was wondering. I moved the Helmet to the Elite section and not the whole suit. If I did the whole suit it would be breaking ruled because the suit is not finished and only finished props can go into Elite status. The Hayabusa Helmet is finished and worthy. The rest of the suit is just a continuation of his thread and hopefully will be part of the Elite section when it is done. With that all said congrats and well deserved.

Ithica

Ace was clearly in the right if referring to this, and the Moderator’s action’s were unjustified in my opinion. He provided a very logical solution, in suggesting promoting to veteran for now, then elite once his sculpt is finished. You have my support Ace, 100%! :)

So last edit, reserve the elite section for finished products. Even if a WIP is truly amazing, it's really not great till the last drop of paint has dried.

Last edited by a moderator:
True his work is elite worthy but in my opinion his status should remain pending the completion of the sculpt project. I think it should be something done sort of 'with' the forums you know so we get that step by step as the project is going through its paces to see how he works bit by bit.

Lol, we are sorta slowly drifting off AceHigh's topic though, this is him questioning the moderators about the rules.

Sorry Ace :p, my bad.

Thanks for the support. The Elite status of Sevv's thread is very much a topic for this thread, so you are both well on topic so far.

About the Stargate I do agree that what little we have seen looks absolutely stunning. I wouldn't complain if Sevv started a separate topic to show it off and that became Elite, but then at least I want to see the whole thing.

Admitedly when I saw that thread move I became suspect that Elite status is handed out by virtue of moderator fan appreciation. Hell I worked on Star Trek Voyager doing props for the show that fans replicate with great effort on many other prop and costume boards, but didnt get bumped to Elite status by virtue of having done other props profesionaly for over 12 years, that are not related to Halo. I hold back on showing a lot of my other work because I am never really clear on what exactly is appropriate to share here. SO like yourself I would also like to get a clearer understanding of just what is regarded as Elite worthy, and what one can do to share the body of thier prop/costume work to be considered.

Sorry you got so rudely spanked down Aceshigh, that would be pretty discouraging to have that directed at anyone. Basicaly, a condescending get the hell out of here kind of comment.

I just read the reply the moderator gave to what you said...

That was almost one of the rudest things I've seen from a moderator and I hope to never see it again!

Ace I'm totally with you... while the suit is coming along great it isnt done which means it doesn't... cant be in the elite thread yet

just my 2 cents

I've been confused of the rules here on 405th for quite some time now. I dont know how the ranking system works at all. I've also been told that this is a HALO forum only, but on the home page it says "We build your character". Is it me or is there no HALO in that quote.

AceHigh said:
Recently, Sevv's MK VI progress thread was moved to the Elite section. According to Ithica in raziel's thread, only finished pieces can go into the Elite section...

I want to tackle this first... as far as I'm aware, there is no definitive rule that states it has to be a finished product before it can be moved to the "Elite" section, it's purely up to the moderator moving it. I think it probably is better to have more of the finished projects in there, mostly to showcase them in particular and show what can be done but also to cut down on the "why wasn't X moved as well?" posts... I think it can be good to see the WIPs in there too.

I personally wont move anything that isn't finished but that's only because I don't want to deal with or see people complaining in the moved topic about why it was moved and not theirs (or someone else's that they think should be moved).

Which I think is what NZ was getting at in his post, rather than derailing a perfectly good build thread it would have been better to take it up via PM's or in a separate thread and ask specifically what the rules are or suggest what they could be. It could have possibly been worded better but the point is valid and I don't really see anything that bad about it... but that's just my opinion.

Drgnfyre4 said:
... Hell I worked on Star Trek Voyager doing props for the show that fans replicate with great effort on many other prop and costume boards, but didnt get bumped to Elite status by virtue of having done other props profesionaly for over 12 years, that are not related to Halo...

Can't speak for the other mods but I wasn't aware of that, I think the professional prop people, like you obviously would be, are more likely to get stuff bumped if we're aware of it. It's not always to the "Elite" section (again depends on the mod) but if I know people's previous work I'll normally move them before their time, I'd bump titles too (advancing to Vet etc.) if I could as well but I can't so I don't.

Last edited by a moderator:
This situation is due to lack or standards on behalf of the Mods and Admin. We set the guidlines and at the moment there are none. I have talked to Adam one time about guidlines for the Elite when I wanted to move some of Lees work over there and he stated to me that it needs to be finished work. By saying that finished just means that the prop is completed because there is no further action being conducted. In Lees case he carved from wood but did not know how to paint so he never painted his work. Since Lee only took it to the carving phase then his work was considered complete. When someone finished a Helm we do not need to see it painted although that does help. I think as Mods and Admin we need to make a post of what criteria has to met to be "Elite". When Adam made the "Elite" section it was not intended to change your status. "Elite" status was based on posts and the "Elite" section was based on work. This was very confusing so Adam made it to where when you get something moved to the "Elite" section you now get "Elite" status. The only issue with this is that Adam is the only man on earth that can change the status and he is extremely busy. Us as Mods and Admin need to keep in touch with Adam and verify that the Members status is changed accordingly. On behalf of all the Admin and Mods I apologize because I have failed the Members as well for not giving clear guidance. Let's learn form this and fix it to be an even better community.

Ithica

EDIT:

If you as a Member see something that is "Elite" worthy please notify a Mod or Admin because we do not see all posts and threads so great work goes unrecognized such as Drgnfyre4.

Thanks for the comments. I'm glad you guys are trying to keep us honest. I think it'd be more trouble to move it back, then back again, but yes, we shouldn't move until they're finished. Thank you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back