Frank O'Conner Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMAW09

He talks about how they are redesigning the chief for halo four. Not only the armor but they are also going deeper into the character. I don't mind this at all. I felt like he was a real human in the fall of reach book. When I was younger I played through Halo ! thinking he was a damn robot.

What bothers me are peoples comments about the armor. If you don't like the new design with a lacking codpiece that's one thing. But everyone is up in arms about how he went into cryo and woke up with different armor. Very simple explanation is he made it back to earth, he was outfitted with new armor and put back into cryo for a long rang mission.

This is just one possible explanation though. Are the halo fans really so insecure about 343 as to think they are not going to address this? Jeez...

What bothers me are peoples comments about the armor. If you don't like the new design with a lacking codpiece that's one thing. But everyone is up in arms about how he went into cryo and woke up with different armor. Very simple explanation is he made it back to earth, he was outfitted with new armor and put back into cryo for a long rang mission.

I'm defiantly open to the redesign and depth added to John's character, but as for this possible explanation isn't the ship he is on the same damaged half from the end of Halo 3? Last scene you can see him standing in an exposed corridor staring at the alien ship.

My thought on the 'he was in cryo new armor wasn't possible' is its just artistic license early on the part of the trailer. Like all trailers its quite early to be the undisputed final product, example I'll give that is recent is the Green Lantern trailer that first aired haha.

But everyone is up in arms about how he went into cryo and woke up with different armor. Very simple explanation is he made it back to earth, he was outfitted with new armor and put back into cryo for a long rang mission.

I'm sorry, but that is just...silly, to put it lightly.

The Halo 4 trailer begins right after the Legendary ending of Halo 3. The Chief is still in the aft, broken section of the Forward Unto Dawn, that is clearly visible in the trailer. It's not possible, and not even sensible to think that he returned to Earth in half of a broken ship, changed his armor, and was sent back out alone in the same half of a broken ship.

The way I consider it, the trailer was just used to showcase some new features, and not necessarily be accurate in terms of the game's timeline. In other words, the armor we saw in the trailer will show up in the game, just not in the beginning. I'm thinking in the actual game, if (when?) we see John wake up out of cryo in the FuD, he will still be wearing the same Mark VI as in Halo 3, and only later will he get different armor.

Anyway, what interview are you even talking about? A link would be nice...

I'm sorry, but that is just...silly, to put it lightly.

The Halo 4 trailer begins right after the Legendary ending of Halo 3. The Chief is still in the aft, broken section of the Forward Unto Dawn, that is clearly visible in the trailer. It's not possible, and not even sensible to think that he returned to Earth in half of a broken ship, changed his armor, and was sent back out alone in the same half of a broken ship.

The way I consider it, the trailer was just used to showcase some new features, and not necessarily be accurate in terms of the game's timeline. In other words, the armor we saw in the trailer will show up in the game, just not in the beginning. I'm thinking in the actual game, if (when?) we see John wake up out of cryo in the FuD, he will still be wearing the same Mark VI as in Halo 3, and only later will he get different armor.

Anyway, what interview are you even talking about? A link would be nice...

http://gamerant.com/halo-4-master-chief-changed-man-dyce-92935/

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1178431p1.html

Sorry I forgot to put the link. My suggestion was pretty out there. It was more to say that 343 claims they have an explanation as to why his armor looks the way it does and has a booster pack built in.

Edit: He also implies we will be seeing the chief without a helmet, which I am very against. The only time it would be appropriate would be a final death scene at the end of halo 6.

How are they going to explain the missing cod piece? What was Cortana doing to him while he was sleeping!?

Sorry I forgot to put the link. My suggestion was pretty out there. It was more to say that 343 claims they have an explanation as to why his armor looks the way it does and has a booster pack built in.

Yes, I was a bit unhappy with the fact that the Chief straight up had different armor, but once they assured the fans that it would be realistically explained and not canon-breaking, then I was contented.

How are they going to explain the missing cod piece? What was Cortana doing to him while he was sleeping!?

Not sure if you're joking, but if not, read my first reply in this thread. I fairly sure that this trailer is not an exact preview of anything in the finished game, meaning, we probably won't see that a cutscene anything like that in the actual game. It was just used to announce Halo 4 in a dramatic way, as well as showing off some things to expect.

The best thing to compare it to is the Halo 3: ODST teaser trailer:

What we saw in that trailer never appeared in the final game, not even in a cutscene or something. It was just meant to reveal the game and highlight some new features (like the SMG and VISR mode).

Last edited by a moderator:

Reading around, this whole missing-cod-piece concern is pretty funny. In all seriousness, the cod-piece is still there, although it appears to now be integrated with the under-suit as opposed to external to it. It also appears that the armor also now lacks a metal belt (or belt of any kind, maybe) but does retain at least the butt-plate and some plating just above the cod-piece (where a fanny-pack might otherwise sit). I would think such a setup would increase flexibility and would make much sense, the current cod-piece/belt is bulky and frankly (not to say anything negative towards the Chief) resembles a metal diaper.

The revised or new armor in the trailer may be only artistic license for purposes of the trailer but the interview does speak to an "intervening period" between games so it seems quite possible that the trailer doesn't pick up exactly where Halo 3 left off and the armor could be picked up somewhere in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back