Fresh Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanSpartan122

Hey guys.

I am new to this whole thing, but I am really excited. Looking to start making my first Halo Spartan Suit shortly (probably an Infinite suit). Any tips/tricks would be appreciated. Probably going to use Foam but could 3d Print too. I was also curious for those of you who are shorter (I'm 5'6), so you use stilts or go with your "normal" size? Thanks!

Part of my concern with using stilts is that the rest of me does not match someone who is 7' tall, sure I could pad things, but my arms would be too short.

I did read the 3d Printer recommendations but I was curious what ya'all use and what you like/dislike about your printers and setups. Any pictures of setups too is appreciated.

Thanks.

Welcome! For starting out, foam is a great medium to start building with. You’re gonna want to pick up a craft knife with replaceable blades, and replace your blades somewhat often as there’s nothing that dulls a knife quite like foam. Super glue is good for keeping it together, I recommend loctite liquid glue for its strength, then reinforcing the back of the seams with hot glue. Get some foam and practice making some bevel cuts, it’s a bit tricky at first but you’ll get the hang of it. There’s plenty of tutorials on YouTube and here so I hope this helps!

I like to use foam, at first it's a little iffy to work with but then you get the hang of it. As for your height just go as you normally are. The patterns would definitely be messed up if you added extra height as like you said the rest of your body doesn't match someone who is 7". I'm 5"4' and yes while that is quite small for a spartan, armor fitting and being proportional is more important

most ive boosted my height is 4" with platform boots which only puts me at 6' tall, which is decent and I'm happy. any taller and you'd have to use stilts. I'd say accept that you'll be a short spartan, at least you'll be a lot more agile and can take cool action photos.

also some foam crafting tips, sharpen you blades every few cuts with 320+ grit sandpaper and glue with contact cement. check out some foam smithing tuts on youtube.

There's nothing wrong with being a shorter SPARTAN, in fact it usually ends up looking better without a height boost since everything ends up being proportional and easier to move in. Like Electraknite said, being able to climb around and move as you normally would is great for photos and video.

For best material to build in, that answer varies depending on your skillset and comfort level. A lot of people start with foam or start with 3D printing and a lot of folks end up mixing and matching to get the benefits of both in places they need certain properties. I tossed my printer collection in the thread and after re-reading my recommendations didn't change too much in the past eight months.

Nice to meet you all! Thanks for the info everyone, I really appreciate it. Do you have a template file you recommend, for the Infinite armor? The one pattern I found has so so reviews, the ones I saw in the guides here are for older sets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back