Friendly's New (first) Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
ImaGonnaGetYou said:
Finally, someone who thinks how I do.

I have solid proof that atleast half of my Algebra class is cheating, but the Principal and Vice Principal don't want their precious money-bags to leave them (I'm in a private school), so they simply say it was "forged evidence".

Yeah right. If it was within my ability, I'd sue their ass into the dumpster.
I was in Private School once. It was pure torture, but thats something for later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fenix Chief said:
I was in Private School once. It was pure torture, but thats something for later.
I had a really cute 19 y/o math teacher while I was living in Brazil.. Really cute!! and I had the pleasure of helping to carry her around the classroom one night, it was Halloween and we turned the classroom into a haunted house. Each grade did the same so there were a few haunted houses..
She refused to come inside, so we had to "bring" her in and my hands were full of teacher!

Kaya Tetsu said:
They were writing programs in their graphing calculators and using them on the test. Information.calculations, you name it it was in there. They didn't share it with me because they all hated me.
They get us to delete any programs on our graphic calculators in our nationwide exams. That kinda annoyed me, cos I'd finished my physics paper, and got really bored. So what did I do? I started to write a story in my calculator. I forgot to transcribe the story, and when I went back to it at the end of my next exam, I'd deleted the story.
Friendly- Congrats on the job! You really do sound like a teacher I'd like to have. Oh, and I've got a cousin who's 19, and she's a music teacher in Columbia. I think. She might've changed jobs by now.

Yeah, so I got fired Thursday. That really sucks. Just moved back in with my parents.

The thing is, I was never handed a list of rules, so I didn't know I wasn't allowed to take a knife to school. I know that in the States, it wouldn't be okay, but there I felt really insecure. The knife was there for my protection, not to bring any harm or threat to my students. It was in my back pocket, so it was bothering me a little bit. So I took it out and started fiddling with it -- opening and closing the knife -- while the kids were working. This was Wednesday. One of the kids came up to me and said, "Meester, let me see your knife."

So I flicked the knife open and said, "Okay, now you saw it. Sit down."

"I'm not afraid of you," he said.

"Are you kidding me? You want to play this game? I have a knife. Don't do this. Sit down." That's when I made the mistake of pointing at his desk with the knife.

Then he guestured to me what I interpreted as, "Give me your best shot."

"I can't do this," I said as I closed the knife. "Sit down now." He sat down.

The next day, I'm called into the Principal's office. Turns out he told his parents that he felt "threatened" while he was the one that provoked me. The parents threatened to sue the school, so the Principal had to save my legal virginity by forcing me to resign. They signed me a sympathy check for a little more than a hundred dollars for the 8 days I worked after my first paycheck. Enough to say, "We're sorry this had to happen, and it's really hard for us to let you go."

They told me that when this whole situation cools down, and I'm still available and they're still looking for teachers, they'd call me back. Riiiight...

Sorry about that, being unemployed sucks. But I hope you realize what a stupid idea that was. It's just something you shouldn't do, because every kid will think it's okay to walk around with a knife, if the teacher is doing it.

One of our teacher's got fired a few years ago, because I had to run backwards in a gym class. While running backwards, he shouted at me, and I fell on my wrist and broke it.

If it's something physical where someone gets hurt, that makes sense. However, if the little kid started it, and it wasn't physical, you should still be employed.

Best of luck in the future. Try not to fiddle with your knife next time. ;)

Yep. Definately a lesson learned there. I still can't believe they didn't give me another chance, but I guess it's better off this way.

I also figured out that if the kid that told his parents got a 100% on his exam, he'd be failing my class with a 55. That may be a reason he did it. Good kid, bad student.

You're eighteen. I know that you didn't start college at 14, so how did you get the teaching job? Temp? Or do private schools just nab whoever? : / Both my parents are teachers.

xxFemaleSpartanxx said:
Oh that made me laugh, "when did yu learn to walk?!" :lol:

I dont think our school has enough of this kinda stuff,, loadsa peeps get away with stuff thats really bad, like one girl in the year above us burnt someone's face with a bunsen burner in Science (she got excluded, but onlii for a day :cautious: )

we have some cool teachers though, some of em are into gaming so yu can have long conversations to em and swap gamertags, kick their butts online and then tease em bout it next day! :lol:

Yuu sounds like a awesome teacher tho,, good luck!!! :lol:

A bunsen burner! those things are dangerous in the hand of my on armed teacher, but a facial arsonist is a bit much.

@ Friendly - Sorry to hear about being forced to resign, but consider it a minor setback.

Seriously, it could have been much worse. You could have been arrested - the stories from these kids could have been far much worse (i.e., "Mr. Police Officer, he held a knife to my throat while he......" - aweful stuff, but you get my point). Your life could have been ruined, but your students were honest - and maybe they act tough - but just maybe they were threatened by you. You did have a knife.

You walked away with a clean exit. Take it and be thankful....then, go register in college and get a degree in education. They'll teach you about interacting with diverse populations and difficult-to-nearly-impossible situations. It seems shady that an educational facility would bring someone on the staff that didn't have legitimate credentials to teach. I think you were taken advantage of...and in those situations there's no winning.

as someone who works at a high school as a security supervisor and varsity track coach, and i used to be a teacher a few years back...

you are VERY VERY lucky you are not in jail.

Bringing a knife to school is stupid anbring a weapon od moronic.

a list of rules you say? how abotu common sence. you don't bring a weapon of any kind into a school. there is NO reason to do so. and the fact that you felt insecure abtou having the knife in your pocket (in your back poscket mind you where any kid coudl get at it) is even worse.

seriously i could go on forever abotu this, but as an ex cop and current high school employee, that was a very stupid move and you'll probably never work in education again. I'm sure the school was NOT lookign to protect you in anyway. they are looking to protect THEM, their students and the school as a whole.

i also dont think you've learned your lesson as youre chalking it up to THE STUDENTS FAULT. of course a kid felt threatened. you had an deadly weapon in your hands, showing it off....

.....really dumb man. really dumb.

Jericho, I got a forwarded e-mail with a list of requirements for a job. They needed a North American single with a high school diploma. Things like this don't happen everyday, so I called the number.

Jax Archillies said:
as someone who works at a high school as a security supervisor and varsity track coach, and i used to be a teacher a few years back...

you are VERY VERY lucky you are not in jail.

Bringing a knife to school is stupid anbring a weapon od moronic.

a list of rules you say? how abotu common sence. you don't bring a weapon of any kind into a school. there is NO reason to do so. and the fact that you felt insecure abtou having the knife in your pocket (in your back poscket mind you where any kid coudl get at it) is even worse.

seriously i could go on forever abotu this, but as an ex cop and current high school employee, that was a very stupid move and you'll probably never work in education again. I'm sure the school was NOT lookign to protect you in anyway. they are looking to protect THEM, their students and the school as a whole.

i also dont think you've learned your lesson as youre chalking it up to THE STUDENTS FAULT. of course a kid felt threatened. you had an deadly weapon in your hands, showing it off....
.....really dumb man. really dumb.

If you lived here, you'd understand why I had it. Everyone here understands. Cops don't do anything around here. Not even the Military Police. You know, the dudes with the M-16s that stand on the street corner? No, maybe not. You live in the United States where security isn't an issue. At least not like it is here. I could get brutally murdered in front of the Police Department with everyone watching, and nobody would care. Criminals and worthless thugs get bolder and bolder with each thing they get away with. Every day, at least one person would be mugged on the road I had to take to school... on foot. Honduras is the second poorest country in Central America. Being North-American in a Fourth-World country automatically means you're rich. Don't tell me I'm stupid if you haven't experienced what I have. Jax, I'm tired of your negative attitude towards other members here. Why don't you take it someplace else please? You think I'm not already beating myself up about it?

Friendly said:
Jericho, I got a forwarded e-mail with a list of requirements for a job. They needed a North American single with a high school diploma. Things like this don't happen everyday, so I called the number.
If you lived here, you'd understand why I had it. Everyone here understands. Cops don't do anything around here. Not even the Military Police. You know, the dudes with the M-16s that stand on the street corner? No, maybe not. You live in the United States where security isn't an issue. At least not like it is here. I could get brutally murdered in front of the Police Department with everyone watching, and nobody would care. Criminals and worthless thugs get bolder and bolder with each thing they get away with. Every day, at least one person would be mugged on the road I had to take to school... on foot. Honduras is the second poorest country in Central America. Being North-American in a Fourth-World country automatically means you're rich. Don't tell me I'm stupid if you haven't experienced what I have. Jax, I'm tired of your negative attitude towards other members here. Why don't you take it someplace else please? You think I'm not already beating myself up about it?

You should of never wielded it during class, unless a threat was present, and only time when a threat is present should you wield a knife in public. However, This is a pointless argument that won't change much and I know I shouldn't have fanned the flames, so lets switch this to private messages if we must. Besides, Smiley is a smart guy, He learned his lesson anyways. Its awful you lost job though. Just my 2 cents.

Smiley? :lol: Close enough. Smiles are friendly...

I wasn't "weilding" it per se. I was just moving the blade with my thumb. The kid wanted to see it, so I let him see it.

Friendly said:
Smiley? :lol: Close enough. Smiles are friendly...

I wasn't "weilding" it per se. I was just moving the blade with my thumb. The kid wanted to see it, so I let him see it.

Sorry, I don't have much left in my skull, just lit and loose change were my brains should be,got confused with another member. DX

tech. its called "brandishing"

and sorry. but this topic IS now negative since you became an idiot and brought a weapon into a high school. weapons NEVER belong into a high school, no matter what country or place.

security IS a HUGE issue in USA schools. with all the kids bringing semi and automatic weapons to school everyday around here, its a big issue.

i wont even begin to discuss your thoughts on ME. as you don't knwo me, and frankly you're 18. You can discuss with me your thoughts on life when you've actually lived it. there is a big problem hiring a person who is only a few years older than their peers. it really doesnt ever work right. that is why teachers go to university and earn a degree before they teach.

I discussed this issue with several people at school today to see what would happen if a teacher did that here. ....you don't want to knwo the answers i got.

no excuses.

(im not trying to be negative. and tryign to undertand what happened, but there really is a no tolerance attitude with real teachers about NO weapons in school)

edit: i reread this thread to see if i missed something as it seemed there are other thigns going on youre not telling us. than noticed, you hit a few students intentionally or not. youre were a bit violent in the classroom. "kicking students" etc.

again, sound like the month that you worked there, you broke a few rules. moral rules as well as probably school board rules. again, the reason why teachers go to school. to learn classroom management and proper educating techniques. most teachers have to be highly qualified in their respective subjects in order to keep their jobs.

nothing against you but i have really bad feelings abtou any school who hires teacher with ZERO higher education and teaching experience to teach young students. there is no way any 18ypo has ANY relevant experience to teach young adults or young children. really.

on the bright side if you really do like teaching go to school, get a teaching degree and get certified by the state or local goiverning district and apply for the teaching jobs around, and see what happens. again 4-6 years worth of education before you are really qualified to be a teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back