FUD Master Chief Helmet Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason 078

Since I have another three weeks to wait for my Halo Wars pep files to be completed, I decided that I would learn on a relatively simple (yeah, right) project. So, here is my quick build log for the Forward Unto Dawn Master Chief helmet. I figure, I'll get the kinks out making this and then move on to the Halo Wars project.

I began the project at 10:00 and spent the next twelve engrossed in the build. I needed to do something to keep my mind off of the idiots setting off illegal fireworks around the area. You see, I'm a vet and it kind of send me crawling out of my skin to hear unannounced explosions.

Timeline

10:00
I printed the pages for the Helmet and then began cutting them out using my Cameo. This thing is very sweet and I got it done without any problems whatsoever. Though there is half a millimeter difference on some of the larger pieces, but I figure this can be taken care of in the "scrape the hell out of it with a rasp" phase.

14:37
067d1b3f-b139-4071-a8c4-f02f3602b155_zpsc1f92721.jpg

And so it begins. I separated the various parts by their general shape and have the model open on my computer. My tools are an exacto knife (for scoring the folds with the back of the blade), a metal ruler (for straight lines), a box of 1000 popsicle sticks (you’ll see why soon), gel control glue (it comes out in a nice little gel blob and doesn’t burn my fingertips), and a cutting mat (to prevent my wife from going to prison for homicide after I cut into the table). Ignore the foam, it just wants attention.

15:07
d3f3fc5d-a96c-4d3d-b43a-f8219e0b44f0_zpsfe6e2f43.jpg

The visor is assembled. You will notice that I left out two small parts. Those are so I do not cover the “nose” when I harden it. Otherwise, yay me, I can pepakura. The reason it took so long is that I was distracted by… <looks left and right> My Little Pony on the television.

20:58
3d2d85bd-9c36-48e3-8e95-f6e1c277e0fb_zps1edcee73.jpg

SDC12632_zpsa754d227.jpg

As you can see here, I have been a busy little beaver (or Spartan, rather) over the past five hours. The entire crown and rear of the helmet is done and the visor is mostly done. This break is affectionately called the “honey, put down the damn helmet and eat something now before I throw your food in it.” My wife came up with that name. So, we decided to compromise. I had her take pictures and then I put down the damn helmet and ate something before she threw my food in it.

21:11
SDC12634_zps7cb91b50.jpg

I decided to take the craft sticks and reinforce the known flat parts of the helmet before I put the lower part of the bill on. The only two you can’t see are the two located on top of the “ear holes.” This will help it keep its shape when I resin it and will even soak up some of the resin to help keep it hard. In the upper right corner, you can see the sticks on the bottom of the bill.

22:14
SDC12636_zpsa5864a70.jpg

SDC12637_zps1c8fcf07.jpg

SDC12638_zpsb927574b.jpg

After approximately twelve total hours of working on the project, here is what I have. I think I should be able to finish the actual pep job tomorrow. I need to put on the lower edging and most of the snout and lower cheek assembly. But, I think it might be a little too big for me.

In looking at this, you may be asking, “So, Jason-078, what are you going to do with those two gaping holes on the sides of the helmet?”

Good question. I plan to fill them.

More detail? Okay. I plan to fill them with layers of 1mm sintra (PVC foam board). I found a great detail shot from Legends of the side of the helmet and the details that go into this part. I will be copying it to my drafting program and making some templates to cut out and put into that section.

I would have used the pepakura model for that section, but the details were very confusing with how the edging acted with the piece. Otherwise, more to come tomorrow!

What I have learned, thus far
also known as, how I have screwed up thus far

1) I can do a better job unfolding to keep the parts more in-line with each other.
2) I should look into how to up-scale my paper to use 11×17 sheets to make the pieces a little bigger and need less gluing (anyone know the best way to print pepakura on 11×17 using the pep program—it doesn’t allow that size for Cameo Printing, just the European sizes)
3) Need to buy a fingernail polish scrubber remover do-dad to keep my fingers glue free.
4) It is possible that I need to scale better (i.e. read HaloGoddess’s post more)

Well i think it looks pretty good so far, perhaps just a tiny tiny bit to big, but you can definately work with it :) I think it is going to turn out really well. Good job so far

Another update. Almost finished. Remind me next time to start on the snout and work my way back to the easy part. I had some trouble around the snout, but nothing that I couldn't sand out.
SDC12639_zpsddd8dd94.jpg

SDC12640_zpse2c85c41.jpg

SDC12642_zpsba35f66a.jpg

SDC12654_zps0d99f389.jpg

So far, I have put 14 hours into this project. I think I only need another hour to get the edging around the base then I can resin.

Looks outstanding, brother! Yeah, the fireworks get to me too (as you know), but this year was prolly the best year I've had since before I was in. Actually impressed you nailed the scale with your ginormous noggin ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back