Full Scale Ghost (Not A Stationary Prop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leaf blowers are not going to offer enough lift or propulsion for the cart. When myth busters did this they gave the weight to lift ratio and even then the lift way only minimal.

However if you are looking to really make something like this work you are going to need the right engines...

You are going to need at least 2 Aerobot specs here: http://www.moller.com/aerobot.html company link here: http://www.moller.com/ just to get the proper lift and thrust. Steering and breaking is going to be a lot more difficult. And you are going to need a computer controller to regulate the lift and thrust as well as balance and breaking.

Just making it hover on a thin film of air not possible with leaf blowers it barely holds a person, let alone the weight of the entire vehicle frame and control systems.

I love the soap box derby idea and rigging a trike setup to drive backwards would simulate the motion of the real vehicle. That is probably the safest way and most economical, unless money isn't an option, then go with the Aerobots I think they are only like $10,000 a piece.

Those leaf blowers do hold a person (in fact 2, at least), and with two hovering plates, it will work. I've done it myself (not with a ghost, but I have made the hovercraft)

I have to agree with computergeek here chwbcc, however I must concede the possibility that this MAY be a little on the heavy side for just 2 Hoverpads. Perhaps I shall do as computergeek suggested earlier, and have a hover pad per wing, plus the one in the back, and a further 2 leaf blowers to direct it, also hidden in the wings. Having said that, I have found A LOT of vids and tutorials on people using just the one leaf blower and that being able to sustain their weight, so perhaps 2 will do it after all. If all goes well, it will weight around the same as I do, in which case, 2 should be able to hold it up fine. That, and the other 2 in the wings COULD possibly also be used to maintain 'flight'?

Actually, if there were 2 in the "wings" those could provide upward thrust. Then, the one in the back could keep the tail up, while also providing forward thrust. Rememberm there's got to be a power source to tap off of. 2 much, and it becomes impractical. REally, the only goal is to get it to float a bit. Not fly

Boba Fett said:
Remember there's got to be a power source to tap off of. 2 much, and it becomes impractical. REally, the only goal is to get it to float a bit. Not fly

Adding more hoverplates does not make it go higher, but it allows it to hold more up. I completely forgot about the power source, but a 12 volt car battery per leaf blower should do it. So a 12 volt battery and a DC to AC power inverter per hoverplate/leaf blower.

Oh and I think three hoverplates would be better, as it distributes the weight and will keep it level more easily.

But one big one in the front may work also

Last edited by a moderator:
Boba Fett said:
2 much, and it becomes impractical.

Exactly. The more weight you have for all of those batteries, converters, leaf blowers, etc., the more the unit weighs as a whole. The more the unit weighs, the more/bigger fans you are going to need to make it move.

Chevysrule said:
Exactly. The more weight you have for all of those batteries, converters, leaf blowers, etc., the more the unit weighs as a whole. The more the unit weighs, the more/bigger fans you are going to need to make it move.

Exactly, and then you have to worry about weight distribution based on center of gravity. I think you are going to need a lot more thrust or you are will have to adjust the design to accommodate the center of gravity.

I think the Aerobots are the best possible way to recreate this if one were to make it exact. But the hovercraft or the trike version is pretty cool. The technology exists to make this actually work but it's not really cheap by any means.

I've noticed that if you let up a little on RC helicopter controls, your helo hovers instead of moving forward. Maybe you can limit the amount of power going to your hover thingies to get the same effect?

chwbcc said:
Exactly, and then you have to worry about weight distribution based on center of gravity. I think you are going to need a lot more thrust or you are will have to adjust the design to accommodate the center of gravity.

I think the Aerobots are the best possible way to recreate this if one were to make it exact. But the hovercraft or the trike version is pretty cool. The technology exists to make this actually work but it's not really cheap by any means.

If there is little to no friction, the weight of the craft won't matter much in terms of speed, as long as it hovers.

KrovikanCorvinus- What is your budget for this project?

I'm not even sure what my budget is yet, however, I did look at those leaf-blowers you recommended, and I can get the four I estimate I'll need for $120 (£80 to me), the mdf for the body shape won't cost me much over another £20/30, and I'll be buying some Really thick plastic sheeting for the hover pads, so I don't know how much that will cost. I'll be looking into cheap but powerful portable generators, and I already have the Seat and loads of wires. I will need to buy some chicken-wire mesh, and LOTS of expander foam. I estimate I can do it in about £300/$400.

eBay will be my best friend for this build, I think.

Nice work man, I definitley wannasee this built and if you do acheive lift please make a video of you riding in it. It would probably complete my life

hey guys just thought i'd put my 2 cents in. if i was going to start this project the first thing i'd work on is drawing up the design. we all know what the ghost looks like so i'd start there and then design from outside in. that way you keep it looking like it's supposed to and not have a lot of stuff on there you don't need. i really like the idea of making it hover but not to be a joy kill or any thing i don't it necessary. i would just use some hidden motorized wheels and be done with it. i would spend my time and money on making it look accurate to the game in stead of functionality. after all as far as i know if you did build it KrovikanCorvinus it would be the first of it's kind . any ways if you need my help in any way just hit me up i'd be glad to help with this project.

f0xtr0t09 said:
Nice work man, I definitley wannasee this built and if you do acheive lift please make a video of you riding in it. It would probably complete my life

Nice to know it would make a difference to someone! To be honest, I'd just like to be able to build it, and ride it around town when the comic book shop my mate owns has a sci-fi day, with star wars characters and all wandering about town, collecting money for charity. I'd be happy to collect for a charity, possible charging for a quick ride on it.

ironkamakaze said:
hey guys just thought i'd put my 2 cents in. if i was going to start this project the first thing i'd work on is drawing up the design. we all know what the ghost looks like so i'd start there and then design from outside in. that way you keep it looking like it's supposed to and not have a lot of stuff on there you don't need. i really like the idea of making it hover but not to be a joy kill or any thing i don't it necessary. i would just use some hidden motorized wheels and be done with it. i would spend my time and money on making it look accurate to the game in stead of functionality. after all as far as i know if you did build it KrovikanCorvinus it would be the first of it's kind . any ways if you need my help in any way just hit me up i'd be glad to help with this project.

Good to see a new interest in it. I'd be glad to have you on board with this project, seeing as how I've seen your art abilities, you would be infinately better at drawing up blue prints and such for me, as my artistic ability is non-existant. Thanks to all those who have shown an interest in this idea, and hopefully I can get the ball rolling just after x-mas!

you want more power than leaf blowers look to These more than enough power to float it maybe even on one See. they are very pricey but more efficient and run on gas so there's no need for a heavy generator or batteries. but as a said, Very pricey... probably not your best shot for money.

with that you need to hope this doesn't happen.

80515.jpg

Hey guys, MAJOR set-back in the saving up for the ghost project. My Oven gave in on Christmas day, followed swiftly by my washing machine and kettle. Then, to top it all, on boxing day my XBOX RED-RINGED! NOT a happy chappy at all, so after I have replaced everything that a freak power-surge destroyed, and replaced my xbox (hopefully by the end of January), I SHOULD be ready to start making this. Sorry to let you guys down.

KrovikanCorvinus said:
Hey guys, MAJOR set-back in the saving up for the ghost project. My Oven gave in on Christmas day, followed swiftly by my washing machine and kettle. Then, to top it all, on boxing day my XBOX RED-RINGED! NOT a happy chappy at all, so after I have replaced everything that a freak power-surge destroyed, and replaced my xbox (hopefully by the end of January), I SHOULD be ready to start making this. Sorry to let you guys down.

Sorry to hear that guy. Real life ghost awesome!!!!! Hope everything turns out good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back