Funniest moments of Armor making

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nogood

Jr Member
I decided that not everyone is as cool as they seem.. not even me..

Anyways, please tell of your funniest or most painful experience that you had while making armor or costumes. For example- *Cutting your finger open with a box cutter and having to get stitches. & Another example * I tripped and fell during a event and broke my suit.

Okay, heres my funny moment.......
" I used foam to build my armor , but I used paper patterns printed out. Well, it was getting late and i just got done laying all the paper patterns and foam pieces in the floor so it would be easy to just start glueing it all together.... Sadly, I was to tired and went to bed ---- The next morning our loving cat had all the paper and foam thrown all over the house, under the couches, in many rooms, everywhere- and I still am missing pieces to this day.... I was so ticked off-- My loving wife at least help me try to find them all and put it back * This took about 2 hours* So, don't leave stuff where cats are.... beware of cats!!

Thats my story :) Also I cut my thumb nail with box cutter... IT DIDNT go all the way through!! But it did scare me... Haha :)

Hope to hear some greater stories!!!

I dropped my dremel and it cut the crap out of my ankle. 6 staples and a big bill later I have a crappy scar to live with.

Oh ya.. check the litter box for those missing pieces lol!

The shin pieces of my Mark VI armor are not the same size.

Do not ask me how this happened, I have NO idea. :p Especially considering that I recorded the scaling dimensions I used so I could just use them again when I made a corresponding right/left piece.

It's practically impossible to tell, and I'm sure no one would notice in photos if I didn't tell, but since I know about it, it constantly bothers me. The only advantage is that the larger one is slightly easier to put on!

Oh well....:)

It's practically impossible to tell, and I'm sure no one would notice in photos if I didn't tell, but since I know about it, it constantly bothers me. The only advantage is that the larger one is slightly easier to put on!

I'm the same way, if I know something is wrong with my armor, or anything I do, even if its impossible to notice, it will bother me.

For example: One of my thighs isn't as smooth as I would like it to be, but I really wanted to finish it, so I painted it anyway. Its really hard to see, because it's partly covered by the hip plates, and you would have to stare at my butt, but it bothers me to no end.

More stories! When I first started armoring, I didn't have an exacto knife, but a ton of utility knife blades. I was using just the blades because the knife is too bulky. The none-cutting edge is also fairly sharp, so my fingers were all chewed up, but that didn't stop me. I finally quit because the blade jumped off my cutting board and slit my finger. Luckily, it was clean and a perfect but, so I didn't need stitches.

One night I was about to go to bed but I decided to glue some pieces I cut out during the day. It was a shoulder piece so I had a big hole in the middle along with missing spots. A nice sized glob of hot glue collected and came off of the piece onto my bare stomach, my fingers were use to hot glue burns but not my stomach. It was a pain to get off because it was drying and clinging to hair, after the event it left a small burn mark. The kicker is the shoulder wasn't scaled right.

Resin leaked out of my m6b onto my work bench creating a solid bond between the two, now i hang dry my items.

Lol- This is good advance since I'm about to use fiberglass resin---> I'm going to learn this the easy way :) haha Thanks for advance and story! =D

I'm the same way, if I know something is wrong with my armor, or anything I do, even if its impossible to notice, it will bother me.

For example: One of my thighs isn't as smooth as I would like it to be, but I really wanted to finish it, so I painted it anyway. Its really hard to see, because it's partly covered by the hip plates, and you would have to stare at my butt, but it bothers me to no end.

This, one of my EVA shoulders has a slighty deeper bend then the other, it annoys the hell out of me but no-one seemingly sees it...

At some point I had managed to get curing resin on my gas mask. I felt a burning/biting sensation on my head and figured it was just a pesky mosquito. It wasn't until I tried to remove the mask that I realized I had resin all over my hair along the straps...shortly after I received the shortest haircut I've ever had.

Alright!

I just finished printing out this extremely complex M6 and I'm ready to start!

*puts exacto knife in mouth to remove blade protector*

*cuts lip*

GAH!

*grabs rag and shoves in mouth*

Ok.

*begins to cut, slips and chops the piece in half*

!@#$ !!!!!!!!

i peped out an entire H3 marine chest and shoulders.
i went to go to the bathroom, and came back only to fing my big black Labrador sleeping on them

My personal favourite is spending lots of time scaling and rearranging pieces in a pep file, saving for both left and right armour pieces.... and forgetting to mark which one was right and which was left.

Easy fix right? Just match the ones you have with the pieces on your screen right?

Not when you a) have dyslexia and b) not when you cancelled printing the right side, the flipped it and printed the left side, then mixed it up and matched the right side to the computer.

2 Left gauntlets. Dang.

Also when you end up cutting out old pepakuras on the back of the cardstock you recycled for new projects...

And the burns...

And cutting the floors :p

There's watching my cat rip a pepped hd mkvi chest apart because she's bored. There was the time I got resin on my arms and had to make a special trip to the store to get acetone to get it off, and of course... The Burns. My most recent was when I tried to rondo a foam helmet... And it melted. Everywhere. :/
This is such a love/hate hobby.

funniest times were probably when my finished carter shoulder attachment fell off the shelf when a gust of wind came through and destroyed the whole thing, or when i dropped a forearm and it shattered, or when the visor broke off on my mk 5, oh wait those all ended with curse words and gritting teeth....

Well, I've only just gotten really started, but my dad's reaction when I first tried to explain this to him was pretty good. It was a definitely a "What?" moment.

I was laughing at myself when I got as much done on my ODST as I could for my Halloween laser tag game this year and was getting ready to leave when I did a double take and said to myself: "Wait, how is this stuff going to stay on? Magic?" Then I spent an extra hour putting strapping on everything. Driving an hour and then trying to put my armor on without straps would have been quite embarrassing.

Mid Oct I was able to finish pepping the top chest armor the week before and was able to put a coat of resin on it on the weekend. I was also able to start putting some resin on the inside of the helmet. However, since I did this on a Sunday and it was super windy I had to bring in the chest piece and let it cure inside. I was able to leave the helmet to cure outside with some rocks inside it to hold it down. I checked back on it often and it was fine but when I went out to bring it in it had blown off of the table and had cracked the top slightly.

Later I was able to fix the cracks and had resined the inside of the helmet and put some rondo in the chest piece and let them sit outside for a bit to cure while I did some work in the basement. Even though the weather was suppose to be nice, I came up to see sleet. The chest piece dried out fine but the helmet had collected enough water to pour out. When it dried most of the seams in the top have separated.

With the snow, I haven't gotten back to it. I'm hoping to re glue the top and get some resin in there on the upcoming nice day before winter full engulfs us.

My first time using bondo and fiberglass resin to harden the inside of my helmet went horribly wrong. I watched a bunch of videos of how to do it, but that didn't help. I got a small can of bondo and poured it into my red party cup and mixed with the resin and the hardeners. I knew that these mixed together would get hot. That was when I thought it would be the best time to pour the mostly full cup into the helmet. I stopped stirring and grab the helmet so I would be ready to roll the stuff around. So when I went to pour it out, I kid you not, it hardened while it was pouring out of the cup. 2 or 3 drops actually hit the bottom of the helmet and the rest looked like someone took a snap shot of it pouring out. Wasted about $12 worth of supplies at that moment. Then I threw out that and drove back to the store to buy another can since I wasn't giving up.
I was pretty mad at the time since I messed up on my first try, but its kinda funny looking back. I have come a far way since that happened back in July :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back