Games That Didn't Live Up To The Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sequels to the games that pretty much define the Nintendo franchise were a big let down in my opinion. Super Mario Brother's 2 just didn't game gameplay that made the first one great. Legend of Zelda 2 was just plain sad in my opinion. Supposedly, the game originally wasn't going to be a Zelda game, but when they saw the first one do well, they decided to change the way the characters looked at slapped on a Zelda label.

Luckily, Nintendo learned their lesson and SuperMario3 lived up to the hype...and that game had an amazing amount of hype. For those of you too young to remember, I suggest you go out and rent the movie "The Wizard"

DreadMullet said:
i cant believe what i am hearing... Obi Wan was right.

ok ok... really people? i have lost faith in the 405th.... far to many of you have a problem with halo 3, i thought you all were a bunch of fanboys?

i loved halo 3's story, multiplayer, forge, theater, case?

this is probably because i loved halo CE, hated Halo 2, and didnt really expect much from halo 3
we are fanboys (and girls), but it doesn't mean we blindly follow Halo 3 with supreme adoration. I, like Sarge, own all the games and have read the books, and love Halo to death, but the third entry in the franchise wasn't as revolutionary as the first game, or even the second in some regards. I feel as though if halo 3 was released as a standalone with no previous ties to its exceptional series, it wouldn't do as well without the big name and status. I expected a much better campaign, with ingenuity and a great story backing it. The books for some reason have complex and detailed tales, but yet Halo 3's is about as predictable and straight forward as an 80's action flick. Its a great game multiplayer wise (i think they worried too much about this aspect, personally) but for me the campaign just fell a little, or a lot, short. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
mooseguy04 said:
we are fanboys (and girls), but it doesn't mean we blindly follow Halo 3 with supreme adoration. I, like Sarge, own all the games and have read the books, and love Halo to death, but the third entry in the franchise wasn't as revolutionary as the first game, or even the second in some regards. I feel as though if halo 3 was released as a standalone with no previous ties to its exceptional series, it wouldn't do as well without the big name and status. I expected a much better campaign, with ingenuity and a great story backing it. The books for some reason have complex and detailed tales, but yet Halo 3's is about as predictable and straight forward as an 80's action flick. Its a great game multiplayer wise (i think they worried too much about this aspect, personally) but for me the campaign just fell a little, or a lot, short. ;)
i do get what you are saying... but i just cant seem to understand how people can be upset with halo3 having a lack of storyline in the campaign, its not like halo 1 or 2 went that in depth in the story, the games have always been about killing aliens. and i think they did a great job on that. the campaign in my opinion is the best out of the 3, the vehicles really brought it to life.

and come on Theater and forge mode? pretty revolutionary for a counsel game... i think.

but this thread isnt here for us to discuss why halo 3 was awesome or not, so back on topic.

a huge let down for me was definitely Left 4 Dead
1. game was way to short, i didnt like how it was 4 separate campaigns that didnt tie together
2. the multiplayer was stupid
3. did i mention it was to short?
4. they needed to do a Celeb Zombie sniper game (think dawn of the dead remake, would be fun)

fable 2 was another let down, any tony hawk game after the first, new zelda games, frontlines... i could go on.

Shade said:
Campaign was pretty good.

Multiplayer was stupid. ( Should've made the weapon custimization like Call of Duty 4's. )

Co-op on Campaign was messed up. ( The way you died was the same as dying in halo 3 with the Iron Skull on.)

Nazi Zombies 1 was Awesome.

Nazi Zombies 2 was stupid:

You can talk now, the zombies can talk, the sound effects got cartoonish, like when a nuke goes off you hear a zombie say, Kaboom!!!

Zombies are 10x faster and stronger. ( Makes it harder to live. )
asdfasdgfkslf playing zombies on Verruckt is possibly my most favorite thing on xbox currently. (aka zombies 2)
The zombies don't talk, sigma clarified that. I love the announcer, I wish they put it on the first one, as well as the nuke going off. And I love when the marine talks, adds some life into the game. The addition to the perks was amazing, as well as the fact that the map is so big is so good. Theres so much variety in it. I think they did a perfect job on asylum and my 10$ was well spent on that map pack. (only for the zombies alone, I could care less about the other maps). And harder is well, more of a challenge.

WELL the biggest let down lately was...UR MOM.. jk had to do it, for me since i dont own a 360 yet or pc its more im disappointed that some of these games are made for psp and ds which usually kills em but not on computer. ecspesially is a good comp can run these games better then either consule :cautious: :cautious: I was so gonna get Force Unleashed on PC only to find it was for every fricken system but PC...so i got it on psp also battlefront renegade squadron was a bit lame i liked the custom options but still wasnt impressed

i love nazie zombies but if you play it to much it gets old and there coming out with another oh yea.

biggest let down for me was gears two

1. lag. trying to chainsaw someone and all of a sudden there a mile away sniping you.
2. mathmakeing. i hate true matchmakeing takes forever i just want to play already.
3.shotgun. what happened to the overly rigged body parts flying everywhere shotgun. now its like a sniper that does less than a stick
4. goldon lancer. they should make it so you have to earn it and not if you preorder the game you get a perfect better lancer from the start

SPORE: Terrible game overall, plus the DRM slows my computer down regardless of what I'm doing besides playing the actual game.

Halo 3: Storywise, it wasn't even close to hitting the mark of Halo: Combat Evolved. The multiplayer, however, is amazing, and I get a somewhat laggy match out of every, say, 50-60?

Call of Duty: WaW: Need I say more?

Left 4 Dead: Lots of replayability, very little content. Bad mixture.

Halo Wars: Few maps, few useable strategies, and the store should be paying me to play the campaign.

Fallout 3: Just kidding, this game is amazing.

Yeah, that's all I care to type right now. I could probably write a ten page essay on why I think any of these games were overhyped, but that wouldn't be interesting to read on a forum, now would it?

EDIT: I didn't include the games that I thought were garbage overall.

Sarge Christi said:
I can't believe some people remember me *sniff*

Assassin's Creed II will hopefully live up to it's hype. I must say the first one didn't.
The graphics for the game were great and so was the whole IDEA of the game... but therein lies the problem, assassinating people can get very... repetitive.
That was one of the most repetitive games I think I've ever played. I actually got bored doing them.
The fighting, climbing and generally spawling around on the game were fun enough, sure, but this time around I'd like some more varied gameplay.

And as for Halo 3.
Lag is a problem, one person can bring down an entire room, I've got high speed Comcast and I don't generally lag myself, but if someone with a turtle speed connection comes in, it causes everyone to suffer.
Also, a gripe about the story. Cortona's part was TOO big for the story. She's intellegent AI, big whoop. They also made her too much like a person for my tests. I don't want my AI to crumple onto the ground like she's about to faint. She's a computer.. That's ALL.
HALO 3: ive been trying to get steppin razor for so long in lone wolves next thing u know im in a sword match i get the double kill then the third guy had his back to me and i sliced him, next thing i know after 2 slices he turned owned me and won the game i mean serriously bungie WTF!!!!!! but now im way to high in skill ranking in that game that i cant even get a triple kill anymore :mad:

Okay. Halo 3 was a let down but not because of the story, but because it felt rushed. It felt like there should have been more, (undecided on could have been more), like they spent too much time making forge and theatre and the playback - which is sooooo awesome and not enough time on the story. (The cortana cut screens are only annoying in replay because you know what's going on and can't skip them)

Love, love LOVE zombie Nazis 1 and 2. The only thing that was a major let down was the cheats and how high in the leaderboards people are getting on them. I'm not a "sore loser" I'm quite happy with the place my friends and I got to, it would just be nice to compare with people who played it without cheating.

Adam said:
No way Halo 3 lived up to the hype. Story sucked.

Halo 1 was great. Halo 2 was basically a remake of Halo 1, Halo 3 was basically a remake of Halo 1... none lived up to the first.
Halo: CE was dynamic in a way, and Halo 2 + 3 were way too linear for replay value. Bungie didn't even try story wise Halo: CE > Halo 2 + 3

But I hear ODST will have free roam environments?

Haze

The hype for this game was HUGE.
Apparently it was going to be "The Next Halo, But better and on PS3".
I mean really, You start off as the bad guy, Using drugs to make yourself better, All your Team-mates seem to be like, Invincible, and the Enemies die in like a few bullets.
Then you realise you've made a mistake, switch to the other side, and all of a sudden your new team-mates (the guys you were shooting) become invincible and immune to the enemies shots. And your old team-mates (Now enemies) who were once invincible now have the traits of the old enemies and have a habit of dying in a few shots.
I mean of course it makes the game FAIR but completely messes up the idea.
Driving the vehicles is like being pushed across a car park in a shopping trolley powered by several jet engines.
Not to mention when you get the NPC's driving you might aswell just jump off the cliff, You'll probably end up around that area anyway.

Plus the dialogue was awful. I mean your team-mates just had sayings like "This'll be like taking candy from a crippled baby!". For god sake, I expect that out of GoW maybe, But seriously, It just got annoying.
Plus I couldn't help noticing your gun seemed to be more accurate when you were moving using hip-fire than it was when you were crouching aiming down the sight.

Overall if you can't be bothered to read all that just watch this video, Sums up what I pretty much said, But with added humor.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...tuation/93-Haze

The Stig said:
gotta love yahtzee, new one today i think.

i agree, being an only PS3 owner before my Xbox 360 saved me, any decent game coming out i was extremely looking forward to. Haze was going to be my gift from God, it looked awesome in the previews and the idea sounded great. But when it came in the mail from Gamefly, all igot was a messy, broken game that didnt play well and felt rushed and unpolished. Its sad the makers of Timesplitters (one of my fav series) had to go out on such a bad note before their company was closed. :cautious:

in my opinion heres what was the games that didnt live up to the hype.... warning wall of text!

gears of war 1:

now i know what your thinkin im crazy... well i am i could only play that game when i was drunk. not being able to jump and no real free roam for anything and the multiplayer was always laggy and i have a dsl 800mb refesh dl/up rate. and i was confused

TimeShift:

if you have ever played this game its really confuseing. sure the story is ok if you read it but when your playing it its hard to understand what the heck you have to do.. i had to find a walkthrough at parts.

Army of two:

if i play it co-op on normal then i liked it. but alone it was terrible the ai was so stupid.

Dead rizeing:

ok i get the mall thing.. but why dont the zombies just go away when you kill more than the population of the town.. really! and some boss's dont go away anyone remember those guys in the jeep?

Halo2:
halo 2 i loved but it wasnt worthy a replay. sure everything folowed the story well and the multiplayer was great but it just seemed it was missing that.... whats the thing im thinking of... epic huge singleplayer maps that halo 1 did.

halo 3:

ok ok i love the new halo 3 multiplayer varients and maps aswell as the armor perms. also the forge and theater were great too... downfall... those anoying cortana messages that mess everything up and arbiter with you every minute... i can understand in co op but not in single player... he's so dumb. when no ones playing as his charater. gah... another thing was all they really focused on was cortana... what ever happened to the covenant and the rings.... too much cortana too little actuall epic battles... yes this is long but hey im right remember halo1 2 tanks 40 enemy elites 60 grunts and jackals and you got to deal with the flood too all on legendary with one friend.... well all i have to say is halo is turned mainstream and set so anyone can play it without a chalenge or fustration.

almost done.. 2 more

halo wars.... ensamble studios... age of empires... why do i have a fixed base... why werent the maps bigger.. whats wrong with my camera angle? why dows the covenant have stuff thats wasnt seen untill halo 3 isnt this supposed to be pre halo 1?

other than that... multiplayer good... ish minus rushing.... and cutscenes were awesome and kept with the story.

LEFT 4 DEAD:
oi i stuck the disk in and was like wow this looks interesting... but if you dont play it with friends you want to beat the crud out of the pillow beside you because the ai's are dumb. and lets not even start with versus mode.... survival with the new update.. interesting but you wont see me playing it.

to cap it all what ever happened to the run and gun games that people had to think about? the older games made things so much fun. and the story line made sence. please developers stop streamlineing stuff for main stream n00bs that play the wii and get fustrated after 2 seconds of game play... thats how we weeded out the bad players before and it worked out well for while.

anyways rant done enjoy!

Halo 2
Yeah, when it came out, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. It was the game that got me into the Halo franchise. But looking back on it having beaten all three of the main trilogy, there where a few things I didn't like.

1. Tiny levels
2. Arbiter
3. Crummy guns
4. No real story
5. A lot of bumbling around, killing time before Halo 3

It was an ok game, and it had a solid multiplayer... but I just don't think it was all that great.

Halo 3
I don't really know why it didn't live up to the hype, I guess it just didn't feel epic enough. The Arbiter really detracted from all of the gunfights, and frankly, I just wanted to see more of the glory of the UNSC Navy and the Marines. I mean, come on, it was the ALL OUT DEFENSE OF EARTH! Why where there only 10-20 UNSC vessels? The fleet defending Earth must have been HUNDREDS of times bigger, no matter how bad the Covenant assualts had been. And only a handful of soldiers hiding out in Rat's Nest? Really? This was the Earth Defense Force, the last line, supposedly the biggest, and all we have where a handful of Marines?

I just didn't like how it played out. Good story, yeah, just didn't take to it.

Left 4 Dead
I knew it was going to get tedious. I pretty much figured that out from the description. Certainly, the AI director helped shake it up, but it was bound to happen. I'll still say it was worth the $50, too.

Turok
Just look at the aim mechanic and you'll see what I mean.

F.E.A.R. Project Origin (demo only)
Felt to much like a run of the mill shooter to me. There wasn't really anything that jumped out at me and said "I'm a good game!". It just... just wasn't any good for me. I mean, yeah, the little girl made me $#!T brix, but there wasn't anything that I particularly liked about, well, anything. The guns felt... run of the mill, the action was like every other game before it, the mech did nothing to add to gameplay... it was just crummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back